How many people here are seriously considering buying a 2012 JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Buying a 2012 JK?
YES 60 29.56%
NO 110 54.19%
Gonna wait til 2013 or later 33 16.26%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
How many people here are seriously considering buying a 2012 JK?

Tired of the lack of power in my 2010 JKU and the poor gas mileage.

Bought it in Aug 2010 and am SERIOUSLY considering trading it in for the 2012 JKU with the Pentastar 283 or 290 hp (whatever it rates out at) and the 5 spd auto tranny.

2010 Rubion Unlimited, 17x8 Ultra Drifter wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 285/70R/17 tires, Ace Rock Rails, River Raider Evap Skid plate, Smilin Bob's Breather Extension Kit, Dirty Dog 4x4 Cargo/Pet Divider, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, JK-RIGRIP front A-pillar grab handles, custom front grill screen, Daystar Upper Dash Panel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Rock God

i don't think it will be a huge improvement. but time will tell. if it is a huge improvement then thats a good reason for me to sell my 2 door for a four door!

anyone want to buy my JK!?

lockers, 37s, 2" lift

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Either they sell me a factory V-8 or I will maintain my 08 in perpetuity..........

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!

We are seriously going to go look at them when they come out. I already talked to jd about shipping one to PA.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
Either they sell me a factory V-8 or I will maintain my 08 in perpetuity..........
X2... or Diesel.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #6 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Rock God

Sorry to hear about your lack of power--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Tired of the lack of power in my 2010 JKU and the poor gas mileage.

Bought it in Aug 2010 and am SERIOUSLY considering trading it in for the 2012 JKU with the Pentastar 283 or 290 hp (whatever it rates out at) and the 5 spd auto tranny.
There's nothing wrong with the 3.8L v6--it just was given the wrong gears

My JKUR has plenty power/great responce/good mileage and makes towing a pleasure--

JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #7 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not worth it at all.
post #8 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

I love all the speculation when nobody here has driven one

post #9 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Speculation, not by me...... I have a V-8 in my 08. I have zero need for a V-6

The Project is moving forward.
post #10 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Rock God

Heh Heh, me too, I have a v6 in my JKUR and I'm, happy with it's performance-so I'm not speculating on a NEW JKU !!

Quote:
It'll all come out in the wash !

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #11 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just sold the 2008 the other day and I am ordering a 2012. I voted yes since I am not speculating...
post #12 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Anyone who is truly happy with the 3.8 and says it has plenty of power has very low expectations. True, it's adequate (barely) offroad and around town but mine is my daily driver and I expect a vehicle to be able to hold top gear at the posted speed limit on level ground most of the time. I just returned from a 2500 mile road trip and I have since put mine up for sale. I'm going back to seperate daily driver and Jeep because 11 mpg average and being unable to hold the speed limit with as little as 10 mph headwind is unacceptable to me.
post #13 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No. But if I can drum up the cash I'm very interested in the diesel conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #14 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Anyone who is truly happy with the 3.8 and says it has plenty of power has very low expectations. True, it's adequate (barely) offroad and around town but mine is my daily driver and I expect a vehicle to be able to hold top gear at the posted speed limit on level ground most of the time. I just returned from a 2500 mile road trip and I have since put mine up for sale. I'm going back to seperate daily driver and Jeep because 11 mpg average and being unable to hold the speed limit with as little as 10 mph headwind is unacceptable to me.
I can accelerate in in top gear on the highway so you have something going on. Running 35's or 37's with the stock gears?

Have none of you people daily driven a YJ or a TJ they are absolutely no more powerful. I would say tire size equal and both with stock gearing the 3.8 is a much better motor on the highway.
post #15 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Rock God

Sorry you feel that way, you're just expecting the JK to conform to EXACTLY how you wantit, without any changes--

Quote:
You're just selling a great vehicle short, because of what Chrysler delivered and you're not willing to changeit

Mine averages 18.2mpg at 60mph, 17.2mpg at 70 mph-

Being a Rubicon, off road was already tops, now-it'll go anywhere and tow my trailer right along withit-Oh avg 16.2 mpg towing my trailer at 60mph !!

Yea I've already done this for months--

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #16 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Rock God

Chrysler is going to have to pry my 2008 lifetime powertrain warranty out of my cold dead hands! I didnt buy a Ferrari, and If I want to be able to drive like Mario Andretti, I'll just take my A3 Quattro.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #17 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I put too much work into my POS to trade it in for a pretty dash and another POS Chrysler engine.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #18 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Sorry you feel that way, you're just expecting the JK to conform to EXACTLY how you wantit, without any changes--

You're just selling a great vehicle short, because of what Chrysler delivered and you're not willing to changeit

Mine averages 18.2mpg at 60mph, 17.2mpg at 70 mph-

Being a Rubicon, off road was already tops, now-it'll go anywhere and tow my trailer right along withit-Oh avg 16.2 mpg towing my trailer at 60mph !!

Yea I've already done this for months--

JIMBO
It is a great vehicle... if you don't consider how ridiculously underpowered it is. Over the years it has ballooned in weight but the hp has remained virtually the same. With 2 adults and a full tank of gas, the JKU weighs over 4600 lbs.
That is a lot of weight for just a 205 hp engine. Thats 22.4 lbs per 1 hp.

I drive 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back, every day on the highway and there are a few hills... not Mt Everest hills but long hills and on a couple of them my auto tranny has downshifted into second gear by the time I'm at the top and other trucks and compact cars are passing me like I'm standing still. I definitely make sure I'm in the slow lane when going up those hills.

As for gas milage... I average 14 liters per 100 kms (16.8 miles per us gallon) and thats mostly hwy driving. Frankly, in this day and age and with the price of gas, that SUCKS!

I would love to have a V8 under the hood but I can't afford a modification that is that expensive. I would also love to have a supercharger too... but again ... its that cost thing again. So I'm going with the next best thing... the new 2012 with the 290 hp pentastar. Thats a 41% increase in horsepower... or 15.8 lbs per 1 hp. I'll be happy with that.

2010 Rubion Unlimited, 17x8 Ultra Drifter wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 285/70R/17 tires, Ace Rock Rails, River Raider Evap Skid plate, Smilin Bob's Breather Extension Kit, Dirty Dog 4x4 Cargo/Pet Divider, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, JK-RIGRIP front A-pillar grab handles, custom front grill screen, Daystar Upper Dash Panel
post #19 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
It is a great vehicle... if you don't consider how ridiculously underpowered it is. Over the years it has ballooned in weight but the hp has remained virtually the same. With 2 adults and a full tank of gas, the JKU weighs over 4600 lbs.
That is a lot of weight for just a 205 hp engine. Thats 22.4 lbs per 1 hp.

I drive 20 miles to work, and 20 miles back, every day on the highway and there are a few hills... not Mt Everest hills but long hills and on a couple of them my auto tranny has downshifted into second gear by the time I'm at the top and other trucks and compact cars are passing me like I'm standing still. I definitely make sure I'm in the slow lane when going up those hills.

As for gas milage... I average 14 liters per 100 kms (16.8 miles per us gallon) and thats mostly hwy driving. Frankly, in this day and age and with the price of gas, that SUCKS!

I would love to have a V8 under the hood but I can't afford a modification that is that expensive. I would also love to have a supercharger too... but again ... its that cost thing again. So I'm going with the next best thing... the new 2012 with the 290 hp pentastar. Thats a 41% increase in horsepower... or 15.8 lbs per 1 hp. I'll be happy with that.
My modifications to get my (paid for) JKUR, cost was very close to $2000 bucks and There's nothing more I NEED, course I'll still add mods to her anyway, but I won't need a new jeep forit-

Good luck, I hope the new "jesus" engine does everything you want!!

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #20 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Speculation, not by me...... I have a V-8 in my 08. I have zero need for a V-6
And for what that v8 cost you I have a Tj that'll outwheel most full bodied rigs around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, me too, I have a v6 in my JKUR and I'm, happy with it's performance-so I'm not speculating on a NEW JKU !!

It'll all come out in the wash !

JIMBO
Is the R really necessary?

post #21 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Rock God

Heh Heh, only if you happen to have a JKU Rubicon !!

Quote:
And for what that v8 cost you I have a Tj that'll outwheel most full bodied rigs around here.

Is the R really necessary?
Does it bother you that I'm steeling SO MUCH BANDWIDTH ???

JIMBO

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #22 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I can accelerate in in top gear on the highway so you have something going on. Running 35's or 37's with the stock gears?

Have none of you people daily driven a YJ or a TJ they are absolutely no more powerful. I would say tire size equal and both with stock gearing the 3.8 is a much better motor on the highway.
I can accelerate all the way up to 85 mph as well, then it shifts into OD and starts falling off until I get to around 65 and it starts all over again. I live in Denver (actually Castle Rock @ 6400ft)so I have less power due to elevation to start off with. I'm geared 5.38 with 35's and an auto. I do know the POS tranny is partly to blame but my 98 XJ with 4.88 gears and 35s held freeway speed better than my JKU.

I actually love most everything about my JK minus the engine and tranny but unfortunately as a daily driver I spend too much time frustrated how much time it spends in and out of 3rd gear.
post #23 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

thats my big complaint - on the highway with the cruise set at 70 it hits 4th gear and any minor hill or a strong headwind, it creeps back down to 65, then downshifts and gets back to 70 - repeat for length of trip.
it'll run 85-90 no problem, I do it one emergency calls all the time, just wont hold 70 mph in 4th gear in windy west texas to save its life.
avg about 12MPG with mostly highway driving

5.13, auto and 37"s, bumpers, etc
fwiw, it actually seems to have gotten a little better with the 37s than the 35's

well that and the paper thin sheetmetal....

dunno if the extra 58HP - last I heard, the pentastar was detuned from 290 to 260 will help THAT much, but I'm betting the 5sp auto will be a blessing

that said, I dunno if things fell into place just right, I might look at a 12, IF all my shit will swap over
but it'd be a tough sell with my lifetime powertrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #24 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I can accelerate all the way up to 85 mph as well, then it shifts into OD and starts falling off until I get to around 65 and it starts all over again. I live in Denver (actually Castle Rock @ 6400ft)so I have less power due to elevation to start off with. I'm geared 5.38 with 35's and an auto. I do know the POS tranny is partly to blame but my 98 XJ with 4.88 gears and 35s held freeway speed better than my JKU.

I actually love most everything about my JK minus the engine and tranny but unfortunately as a daily driver I spend too much time frustrated how much time it spends in and out of 3rd gear.
That makes sense. I've got a 2-door 6-speed I guess thats makes a big difference. I am on 35's and 3.73s still and can put it in 6th gear and accelerate from 60-80 no problem. The only time it has to come out of 6th is on steep hills or bridges. That could easily be cured with some gears though. I always forget about the 4-doors.
post #25 of 130 Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
I put too much work into my POS to trade it in for a pretty dash and another POS Chrysler engine.
oh but the heated toasty bun seats - you gotta want those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode