Mixed coolant now jeep over heating/noob question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mixed coolant now jeep over heating/noob question

So I went to Rausch creek yesterday and before I left I checked everything and I was low on coolant, so I went to get some and the guy there said that "prestone 50/50 mix with any coolant" would work so I did that and when I was Offroading at RC it over heated figured it was just the many hrs of driving in 4low and went home and now it's doing it again........could it be the coolant mix this never happened before?

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's not the coolant mix. Could be Thermostat issue.

I'm assuming this is serious overheating not just running a little right of center on the gauge /

Last edited by Muvovr; 07-03-2011 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

did you hit alot of mud, could be rad fins are clogged

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

on a side note did you go with a big TJ? i think i saw you on davis st behind a big TJ yesterday.
i was in my sweet geek squad van

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
It's not the coolant mix. Could be Thermostat issue.

I'm assuming this is serious overheating not just running a little right of center on the gauge /
Yeah it's to the point where the chime comes on. It only happened since I put that coolant in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
did you hit alot of mud, could be rad fins are clogged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
on a side note did you go with a big TJ? i think i saw you on davis st behind a big TJ yesterday.
i was in my sweet geek squad van
Yeah went through some mud and that's what I thought caused it, but when I got home I pressure washed my whole motor good and radiator very well and still doing it so idk what it could be. Yeah that was me and my buddy we were just heading up there.
post #6 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!

let it idle and turn your AC on and off.
If the fan doesnt turn on thats your problem.
Fans die on these things like its their job.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I should of discussed the fan in my post !!! My bad.....

This could also certainly cause the issue you are having.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Why was it low to begin with?How much did you have to add? Have you checked it agian?

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Naww the fan works thats the first thing i checked even though you could hear it going

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
Why was it low to begin with?How much did you have to add? Have you checked it agian?
It was just right above the "fill line" so i filled it back up to the "max line", never went below the line though
post #10 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I also forgot to add in my thread, when it over heats the coolant in the tank boils, so could it just possibly be just a theromstat ? Again this only start when i put that new coolant in and about 5hrs later it started over heating.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
I also forgot to add in my thread, when it over heats the coolant in the tank boils, so could it just possibly be just a theromstat ? Again this only start when i put that new coolant in and about 5hrs later it started over heating.
^^^^^^^^^^

If a stuck thermo is not allowing circulation it would certainly do as your describing. Boiling for sure.

Do you have circulation ? possibly a water pump !!!!
post #12 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
^^^^^^^^^^

If a stuck thermo is not allowing circulation it would certainly do as your describing. Boiling for sure.

Do you have circulation ? possibly a water pump !!!!
Thats what me and my buddy thought too. Thanks for the help guys, you know if their hard to change just in case warranty doesnt cover it lol ? Also what could have caused it to close up like that?
post #13 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 PM
DaK
Rock God

Water pumps normally have a weep hole and will leak when they start to go bad.

Start the jeep up, let it come up to temp to open the thermostat, once its is up to temp, rev the motor, if the coolant gets sucked down, then your pump is most likely fine and your thermostat is good too. Anymore stats are designed to fail in the open position but, not to say they always fail. While doing this see if the lower hose sucks in, compresses. Could be a weak hose squeezin closed under load.

Thermostat is easy to change/remove. The pump, don't know myself about that someone else will have to chime in.
post #14 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought we were supposed to use HOAT coolant with these cooling systems. May be the mix of other coolant may have caused the over heating?
post #15 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Coolant types do vary. However I have used 50/50 Preston many times in my 08 JK.
post #16 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Rock God

The OP said he went through some mud, and cleaned the engine and radiator.

I'll bet the radiator isn't clean enough. Many times, there is still mud between the A/C condenser and the radiator. (If he has an A/C condenser)
post #17 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJK View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought we were supposed to use HOAT coolant with these cooling systems. May be the mix of other coolant may have caused the over heating?
There is a possibility (I'm not sure how true it is) that mixing the types can cause gunk to build up over time. My impression is that this would be over a much longer time period than the OP is talking about.

I would guess water pump/thermostat myself.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #18 of 26 Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My jeep is brand new just broke 5k on it two days ago so thats why I'm kinda of confused on what it could be. I took a pressure washer to the whole front of the jeep and clean it real good and went Offroading today and went about a football field into the woods and the temp was already 3/4 then I turned around and at the end the chime went off. Tuesday I'll have to take it in for warranty if I can't get a def answer from here
post #19 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Wheeler

This happened to me and it was the radiator cap that failed. Caused the coolant to boil, you could see it boiling in the overflow.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 05:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
My jeep is brand new just broke 5k on it two days ago so thats why I'm kinda of confused on what it could be. I took a pressure washer to the whole front of the jeep and clean it real good and went Offroading today and went about a football field into the woods and the temp was already 3/4 then I turned around and at the end the chime went off. Tuesday I'll have to take it in for warranty if I can't get a def answer from here
Seems you had an issue before you added the coolant. That in itself wouldn't cause it to overheat. Look for the obvious, low coolant means it has either burned it (bad head gasket, head or or block crack, etc.) or leaked it out (loose clamp, leaking radiator or heat exchanger, leaking or cracked overflow bottle, etc.). If it has boiled it out that could be as simple as a bad cap, bad thermostat, or worse, the aforementioned block, head, head gasket, etc. Best to carefully pressurize the system and see if it holds. Test the cap, too.

FWIW, inexplicably the JK's overflow tank has its own vent at the filler. I found that on climbs & descents and other off road situations the stupid thing can spit coolant out the bloody vent. I pay no attention to the "Max" or 'Min" lines any more, if there's some coolant in the reservoir that's good enough. It seems to settle a bit above the "Min" line and stay there. The specified Mopar coolant is $25 a gallon at the local Stealer, forget it! The JK is one hot running SOB and something eventually has to give.
post #21 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Not that it may mean anything as to whats being talked about but I've been using Royal Purples "purple ice" in my radiator for awhile with no problems. A bottle of the stuff and the rest with water!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll think of something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
FWIW, inexplicably the JK's overflow tank has its own vent at the filler. I found that on climbs & descents and other off road situations the stupid thing can spit coolant out the bloody vent. I pay no attention to the "Max" or 'Min" lines any more, if there's some coolant in the reservoir that's good enough. It seems to settle a bit above the "Min" line and stay there. The specified Mopar coolant is $25 a gallon at the local Stealer, forget it! The JK is one hot running SOB and something eventually has to give.
If my coolant is above min it pours out the vent during my regular wheeling.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #23 of 26 Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Wheeler

Just completely drain coolant refill with appropriate coolant and see how it goes atleast that way if you take it to the dealer for warranty they won't say " not covered". 5k miles you shouldnt have any leaks. Find that first.

Sent via the iPhone interwebs

When i see the flag i think we the people not you the goverment.
post #24 of 26 Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Just completely drain coolant refill with appropriate coolant and see how it goes atleast that way if you take it to the dealer for warranty they won't say " not covered". 5k miles you shouldnt have any leaks. Find that first.

Sent via the iPhone interwebs
X2 Get the stuff from the dealer it is orange
I don't think the type of coolant is the issue but they may say something if they see it is not the factory stuff. Make sure you fan is working on high speed as well. from what I remember the fan is powered by multiple circuits.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-05-2011, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Just completely drain coolant refill with appropriate coolant and see how it goes atleast that way if you take it to the dealer for warranty they won't say " not covered". 5k miles you shouldnt have any leaks. Find that first. Sent via the iPhone interwebs
Yeah maybe ill just go that route instead going through the dealer.

Thanks
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode