"New" JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

"New" JK

I recently bought a 2008 JK that I'm really liking, the 4 doors have been everything I hoped for room-wise with the two dogs. Speaking of dogs, man is that V6 a dog! Any word on if Jeep will ever put a V8 in their 4 door model? But my real question is, what brand of air intake system would you recommend for this Jeep? I had an AEM on my 2001 Jeep that I just sold, and it was amazing. I'm looking for the same pick-me-up to help get me up the big Colorado mountain passes a little quicker. Any advice is appreciated on which brand is best-suited to the JK. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Just regear and avoid all that other stuff. You might see small improvements but after having all that on mine and putting it back to stock, I wouldn't recommend anyone else go for it. If you want to do anything for power increase other than regear, change the engine out for a Hemi! LOL

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness44 View Post
I recently bought a 2008 JK that I'm really liking, the 4 doors have been everything I hoped for room-wise with the two dogs. Speaking of dogs, man is that V6 a dog! Any word on if Jeep will ever put a V8 in their 4 door model? But my real question is, what brand of air intake system would you recommend for this Jeep? I had an AEM on my 2001 Jeep that I just sold, and it was amazing. I'm looking for the same pick-me-up to help get me up the big Colorado mountain passes a little quicker. Any advice is appreciated on which brand is best-suited to the JK. Thanks!
The "pick-me-up" that you seek is indeed elusive in the JKU.

Gears (if running taller tires) and a tuner will help a little.

I am using a drop in K&N so I can clean it myself. Didn't notice much difference when I dropped it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

These guys have pretty much hit it. short of spending thousands of dollars you're not going to see a ton of improvement. Regearing will be the best improvement, and a CAI coupled with a tuner will net you a little (I did notice a small change when I did these, but dont expect a lot). A header back exhaust system might help a little, and i believe they even make a coil kit for a little hotter spark so you can get add a little more fuel to the mix.

If you're looking for a specific brand...well honestly they're all going to be pretty much the same. Some claim higher HP numbers, but since i doubt they were all tested under the exact same conditions i wouldnt tend to believe that they're all that much different considering they're all pretty much running the same size intake tubes with conical/cylindrical filters.

Just say eff it and go for the hemi

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
No V8 is imminent (though the Hemi rumors have gotten another spark of life recently). What is confirmed is the new Pentastar V6 coming in MY2012, which should be packing 280-290hp, and improved fuel economy.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #6 of 11 Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
Just regear and avoid all that other stuff. You might see small improvements but after having all that on mine and putting it back to stock, I wouldn't recommend anyone else go for it. If you want to do anything for power increase other than regear, change the engine out for a Hemi! LOL
So what exactly does a re-gear involve? I have no experience with this, I'm assuming it's something my 4WD shop will have to install? I'm planning on a 4 inch lift with 35's but was hoping to boost the power some before the major $$ outlay for a lift and wheels. Thanks for the responses!
post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Congrats on the new ride. These things can be money pits but a lot of fun in the end. I have a Corvette for the other end. The JK has no performance or mileage but it is incredible at what it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #8 of 11 Old 07-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
So what exactly does a re-gear involve? I have no experience with this, I'm assuming it's something my 4WD shop will have to install? I'm planning on a 4 inch lift with 35's but was hoping to boost the power some before the major $$ outlay for a lift and wheels. Thanks for the responses!
Regearing will consist of having a new ring and pinion put in your front and rear axles. If you got your jeep new or with very low miles, you can probably get away with that and the install kit which is a little cheaper as you can get away without doing new axle bearings. R&P per axle with install kit is probably gonna cost you around $800 installed (give or take) you might be able to find a better deal but I think that's gonna be pretty close to what you can expect. Also something to think about, if you plan on running lockers in your differentials, it would be a good idea to have them installed at the same time as you regear if you can afford it else you'll be paying for install twice if you regear and then later do the locker...just a thought... That said, if do decide to do the locker you might also want to go with a better axle with a higher spline count, and you'll want to do this the same time you do the locker as the spline # on both, need to match. I know it's a lot to consider, and you'll probably have more questions than were answered, but it's better to consider these options BEFORE you dump money into it and then find out "oh...I should have done it this way...now I have to do it all over again..." Do your research and keep asking questions, there's a lot of ppl on this forum who are more than willing to help good luck with your build.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #9 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 AM
JKO Addict!

The guys have pretty much covered it. I'd just add that because that poor engine is being taxed as it is it's very important to keep it and the trans well serviced. These are hot running SOBs, too, so consider using a 5w-30 oil, rather than that squirrel piss 5w-20 they specify.

A dog slow Jeep is nothing new, they're just maintaining a tradition! I re-geared mine and installed Spyntec lockout hubs up front. With 37s it is all around bearable, no worse than the YJ it replaced.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

My $.02 on top of the above great advice: If you intend to do any non-paved wheeling, and most especially WET mud or water crossing, do not put on a CAI system. I also went with the K&N drop-in filter for more free-flow air but that maintains the stock SEALED intake box. There's more than a few who just prefer to frequently change out OEM paper filters (relatively cheap) for excessive dust & whatnot vs the minimalistic hp/torque gains for the anemic 3.8 using any CAI system. The K&N is lifetime reusable and depending upon how dusty your roads may be, it doesn't take all that long for it pay off vs paper ones. There's been a few related threads about the K&N drop-in (and others including CAI systems) about dust sneaking through or past... ? Some say yes, some say no, I've always had very good luck with K&N drop-ins. Always check the fit & seal and follow cleaning/re-oil specs. Good flowing exhaust helps (if it breathes in easier it needs to exhale easier, makes sense, right?) and consider an EFI programmer to help between those two ends. Oh, and if the wet watery stuff is indeed in your future, move all those breather tubes up high! Sorry for blowing on and on... long, long night at work and I'm super tired punchy silly.

Use the advanced search function on the site and give a lot of the sticky threads some well-deserved attention and many of your questions will be answered. There's a lot of intelligent, creative, folks who know a LOT about Jeeps and what works (and what don't works), and how to redneck engineer around just about any expensive aftermarket kit. They work hard to make taking in their collective wisdom self-guided through this website relatively easy. Just dig a little there are some real treasures to find!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Last edited by rcul8r; 07-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

Like everyone else has said, no on the CAI. I can't believe nobody has mentioned a snorkel though??? It is on my future list.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode