Wheeling 101 question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wheeling 101 question

I intend to go wheeling soon for only the second time. I typically leave the doors off all summer. Should I put the doors on to go 4 wheeling? Is it less safe or will I be covered in mud? Thanks for your input!

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Deep Water Blue,Freedom Hard Top,Bedlined Wheels,Coverkings,Smittybilt tube bumpers,Rigid Floods, Rough Country 2.5"BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

It is actually safer to wheel with the doors off. You can get a real good look at where you tire is going when there isn't a door blocking your view.

09 JK 3.5 Rubincon express suspension 35" open country tires 9000lb superwinch member okc jeepthing club
post #3 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Its safe to wheel with your doors off, as long as your old lady keeps her top on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water Terp View Post
I intend to go wheeling soon for only the second time. I typically leave the doors off all summer. Should I put the doors on to go 4 wheeling? Is it less safe or will I be covered in mud? Thanks for your input!
Well yeah, if you go splashing thru mud at 20MPH, without doors, you're going to get covered. However, if you go trail riding and there's branches and stuff sticking out, you're not going to scratch your doors to hell ("trail pinstriping").

I'm like you -- mine are off until the end of September. Never gave it a second thought wheeling, other than not splashing thru mud to where I'm eating it in the drivers seat.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I saw a guy today on the MA Bell trip nearly get impaled on a rock as he rolled his TJ- so it's not always safer to roll without doors. However, if he'd had doors on, the driver side would be destroyed, and he MAY have been hurt worse. That's an iffy call.
However, I never wheel with doors on unless it's raining hard (a little rain I can deal with!) or below 60 degrees out (maybe from 50-60 ). I like being able to better see my lines.
After watching Greg nearly get tapped by that rock, however, I've gotta give a sterner word of warning to those who don't know- just pay attention to what you're doing. Also, watch for other stuff (sticks/branches, bugs, etc.) coming in. And for deep mud, you may want to keep the doors on. For rocks, keep 'em off- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #6 of 11 Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

In extreme rocks, I go doorless. the rest of the stuff, I use the Bestop cloth half doors. My wide axles and big-ass swampers fling mud and rocks at me and these doors block it, but they are half door design so you keep most of the visibility.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Last time I went wheeling it was doorless and my son nearly got impaled by a huge branch that came in on the passenger side while I was paying attention to an obstacle on my side. Fortunately, he was able to push it away and only suffered some scratches and bruises.

Afterwards, when talking about what happened, several others said they'd had similar scares in the past. So I guess the answer is that with doors is probably safer than without. Still, I'll wheel doorless and both I and my passenger will pay more attention to jumping tree limbs.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the responses! I'll give it a go with no doors. Have a great weekend!

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Deep Water Blue,Freedom Hard Top,Bedlined Wheels,Coverkings,Smittybilt tube bumpers,Rigid Floods, Rough Country 2.5"BB
post #9 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Granite Guru

Just don't drive fast through the mud, and you won't splash it up in the inside.
Definitely doorless though, you also get more clearance.
Make sure you disconnect your sway-bar when you get offroad. Way more suppension travel.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Its safe to wheel with your doors off, as long as your old lady keeps her top on
Hey! Don't ruin it for the rest of us! Just cause you've got a hottie to look at damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Well yeah, if you go splashing thru mud at 20MPH, without doors, you're going to get covered.
Wait... I'm confused... You're NOT supposed to go through mud at 20MPH? I knew I was doing SOMETHING wrong! No wonder the inside of my Jeep looks like shit!

Hotrodtinker JERSEY
CREW
'08 Unlimited Rubicon (Rescue Green)
Lifted and running (for the moment)...
Planned Mods:
- Engine swap and 1-ton axles!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

It's not always possible to go slow through mud- mud as an obstacle REQUIRES at least SOME momentum, otherwise, you get stuck. So sometimes, in deeper mud, you HAVE TO hit it. So the plan of going slow doesn't always work. And there are some trails where you simply have to go through deep mud.

Also, if you're concerned with mud, disconnecting the sway bar isn't a great idea. You want linear rather than dynamic suspension changes in mud to reduce drag. Then, you don't need as much momentum The only time where disconnecting is helpful is really in rocks and on other obstacles requiring climbing- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode