Shifter Shake... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Shifter Shake...

I think at one point or another we have all been a victim of the steering wheel shake cause by an unbalanced tire (or tires).

I have been geting a shimmy in the SHIFTER (manual) between 45 and 55 mph accompanied by a little bit of steering wheel shake. This began right after I rotated my tires.

I am assuming it is still a balancing issue but how can it be shaking the shifter??? It is really being pushed back and forth quite a bit in the above speed range.

Is there anything else that can be causing this besides a tire out of balance? An am I damaging anything in the drivetrain by driving it in its current condition?

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

its a possibility, yes. the shifter is inside the transmission, so any vibes will definitely show there. if the rear tires are out of balance, out of round or even the driveshaft bent or out of balance, then it can make the shifter vibrate or move. you should also feel it in your butt as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode