Same length control arms....any other variable? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Same length control arms....any other variable?

I have a chance to get aftermarket control arms (front lower) at a bargain price. This appeals to me because they're much more solid and have heim joints. They're 23 inches bolt to bolt. I measured the stock ones and they're the same, it appears.

I called the manufacturer and asked about them by part number. They said it's the arms that come with the 4" kit. I have a total of 3" lift in the front (2.5" coil and .5" spacer). That was the first thing I thought was strange....that these came with a 4" kit but were the same length as my stock ones. Then he said he wasn't sure if they'd work because even though they are same length, it could still change pinion angle. Can someone explain how that's possible? Forgive me if it seems an ignorant question but when ya don't know....ya just don't know.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Rock God

Don't ever buy fixed length control arms.

Only buy adjustable control arms.

The guy you are speaking with doesn't know what he is talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^^ X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks...but didn't answer my question. I don't have adjustable now. These are just beefier and use heim joints and are VERY well priced. Even if I decide I want adjustable later, I'm not out enough $ to be concerned.

Again, anyone with an answer to the question? I welcome opinions but would love an answer to the question, as well. Thanks.

post #5 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Which kit do they come out of?
And i say go for it.
It cant hurt.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Granite Guru

To answer your question, the design of the 4 link with the stock length arms will change pinnion angle because of how it responds to the additional angles induced by the lift.

If you use a stock length arm, then lift it 4", the caster would be off.

Usually we do longer arms when fixed. Only a short bit.
Check out our chart at the bottom of this link:

LINK

Although Im not sure how this arm you speaking of has a heim joint. Typically they have a threaded shank.
If it has a spherical bearing welded to the end, thats a different story. I wouldnt use either for something daily driven, lightly wheeled.
Having a bushing or Poly based joint like a Johnny Joint makes a huge difference in road feedback & ride.

Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!

----> Click and download the new catalog!!!

post #7 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thean....thanks a bunch!! To clarify it is a johnny joint. Lesson learned.

My jeep is currently 2.5" coils and 1/2" spacer in front. This is with stock arms. I'm JUST replacing the arms....not adding any additional lift. Therefore, 23" arms for 23" arms shouldn't change anything, right?

Thanks again for responses.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Rock God

You will be fine using them with your current setup.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Rock God

I'm willing to bet that these arms came from a kit that utilizes cam bolts. What brand are they?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sorry for delay. They're pro comp. I know some products they make are frowned upon but for the price I paid, I'm not worried about it. New bushing/hardware kit included I'm still into them for less than $100. They're MUCH beefier than stock. Hopefully it works out. If not, not a big deal.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 AM
JKO Addict!

FWIW, the length of stock control arms are 18 3/4" upper, 22 5/8" lower. They're using a pretty well recognized standard length of 23", which combined with stock uppers should get your caster in the ballpark.

If you check around the manufacturers' differ on what the best lengths are for the front arms. Poly's specs seem to be closest to the optimum at 18 3/4" upper, 23 1/4" lower. This gives quite a bit of caster, 5 degrees +, and may not work if you haven't corrected the pinion angle on your housing. A certain (flaming) idiot over on a certain other forum we don't mention around here uses 18 7/8" upper and 23" lower. Grudgingly giving credit where due, he seems to have gotten onto something. I used those specs on a club member's problem child rig and they did work great.

I've mentioned this before but to regurgitate it again, Teraflex for some reason has sec'd some wacky control arm lengths in their instructions, like 19 1/2" upper, 24" lower, with a lower stagger left & right. For a host of reasons, bad handling, component interference, etc. they just don't work and are best avoided. To use the shorter spec with TF's upper arms you have to use the inner mounting holes on the upper arms. Cut off the outer part of the arm or you'll have housing and locker plug interference issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode