NOT happy!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

NOT happy!!!!

So I ordered a bumper and it took over 5 weeks to arrive!!! Okay...I can accept that (and did). I ordered an Or-Fab rear bumper at a local shop. I asked for the flat black (to match rest of jeep). It arrived the other day and when I picked it up I asked, "This is the flat black, right?" They said it sure was. Get home and I have a nice, glossy rear bumper.

I called them and was advised they don't offer a flat black. Only a "bike black" and "wrinkle black." I explained one of them is certainly flat black and was met with another response, "They don't show a flat black even on their website, only bike black and wrinkle black."

So here's my complaint now: If you don't know which qualifies as "flat black" (wrinkle black) wouldn't you ask the manufacturer before placing the order? Now I'm probably not going to be an Or-Fab customer. Not because they don't make quality stuff, they do. Just because I'm not waiting another 5 weeks. Hell, I'm not waiting another couple weeks. Not to mention, now I have to load this damn thing up and return it to the shop, cancel the order and wait for the refund to hit my account. Ugh!! Sorry but I usually expect people in the industry to know more than me.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Paint It!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #3 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^^^^^^^^^^

X2

It's what I would do !!!

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Rock God

Cut your lossses and just paint it, cost you $2.99 for some cheap flat black.

post #5 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Coonasian

Garage

I suppose you could paint it but I share your frustration. This country barely makes anything anymore and now it seems service is going downhill as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #6 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I feel your pain but would also paint it. Consider what is on it one hell of a base coat.

Easier to touch up later on too.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm not going to sand down (so paint sticks) and repaint a brand new, powder coated bumper. I'm going to check with the local powder coater to see what it would cost to blast it and re-coat it. If all else fails, it won't cost me a dime to return it. I'll just buy a different one. Why spend the labor and money to do all that when I can just return it? If I bought it used at a bargain price painting it would make sense. Not in the case of a brand new one.

post #8 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Granite Guru

See if you can get a cost adjustment for recoating. Just an idea.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #9 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

If Or Fab is paying for the return shipping costs, maybe they will allow you to use it towards a local powder coater in your area? Good Luck.

DRIVEN1
2009 Rubicon Unlimited
Teraflex 3" Suspension System with Flex Arms
Teraflex RockGuard Epic Front Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Outback Rear Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Spare Tire Carrier
LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders
XD Series Addict 17" Rims
35" BFG KM2 Mud Terrain Tires
J.E. Reel Front and Rear Drive Shafts
Poison Spyder "Special Edition" Bombshell Diff Covers & Evap Can Skid
3M Clear Bra and 80% Window Tint
JEEP PICS:
post #10 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
I'm not going to sand down (so paint sticks) and repaint a brand new, powder coated bumper. I'm going to check with the local powder coater to see what it would cost to blast it and re-coat it. If all else fails, it won't cost me a dime to return it. I'll just buy a different one. Why spend the labor and money to do all that when I can just return it? If I bought it used at a bargain price painting it would make sense. Not in the case of a brand new one.
You don't have to sand it down , wipe it clean , put some bedliner paint on it , then take some flat black paint over the bedliner done , I scored a gloss bumper and that's what it did , you can't even tell I did it , year later still good , damn if you want come over and let's paint that thing

This is the best picture I have of the painted bumper
post #11 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I say paint it flat black and then throw it through the shops front window!!!! Then they will surely know it is wrinkle black!!!!

Sent via your mom

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #12 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've never heard of anybody offering a product in flat black.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

What bumper do you have? Maybe one of us vendors here has the BB version in stock and can help you out.

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

post #14 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Or Fab is a stand up company. Its a shame the product wasn't up to your expectations, but I don't see why you wouldn't buy from Or Fab again when the mistake was made by the local shop. Sounds like a local shop I would no longer go to.

And I don't understand why it would've taken Or Fab 5 weeks to make the bumper, I know when I ordered mine from Or Fab, it came with 3 days. Their lead times are usually very fast. Again to me, it sounds more like an issue with the local shop.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #15 of 25 Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I've never heard of anybody offering a product in flat black.
Okay...what do you call a black finish with absolutely no shine? My Warn Rock Crawler front bumper came that way. It may not be CALLED flat black but it is flat black color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
You don't have to sand it down , wipe it clean , put some bedliner paint on it , then take some flat black paint over the bedliner done , I scored a gloss bumper and that's what it did , you can't even tell I did it , year later still good , damn if you want come over and let's paint that thing
My point being that I shouldn't have to do any damn thing if I'm buying new unless what I want isn't available. In this case it is available. Now if ya want to give me a hand with the grill screen......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Or Fab is a stand up company. Its a shame the product wasn't up to your expectations, but I don't see why you wouldn't buy from Or Fab again when the mistake was made by the local shop. Sounds like a local shop I would no longer go to.

And I don't understand why it would've taken Or Fab 5 weeks to make the bumper, I know when I ordered mine from Or Fab, it came with 3 days. Their lead times are usually very fast. Again to me, it sounds more like an issue with the local shop.
It's not that the product didn't meet expectations. It was just the wrong product. I probably won't be an Or-Fab customer because they don't make the bumper until they receive it. They initially gave a 3-5 week delivery time. It was delivered right at the 6th week. If they can get one shipped in the other finish next week, I'll take it. I have heard nothing but great things about them and the bumper certainly seems high quality (haven't gotten fully out of box). I think it's just that not all bumpers are stocked....perhaps your's was already in stock. Again....no hate for Or-Fab. Just not waiting again.

Great idea on getting powder coat comp'd instead of shipping. I'll have the cost of doing powder coat again on hand when I talk to the shop. If they want to cover that instead of shipping (or most of it) I'll just go with that.

Last edited by diver_matt; 06-26-2011 at 09:05 PM.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Rock God

Try pm'ing IBROCUN on here. He's with OR-Fab. Let him know the situation. Maybe there is something he can do to switch out your bumper faster than that local shop. Or maybe he can put a little pressure on them to "make things right" with you to aid in getting part or all of your cost for powder coating taken care of. Just s suggestion.

out of curiosity, who gave you that 4-5 week timeframe? OR-Fab or that local shop? When I ordered the Tire/Jerry can carrier, i got it in a little over a week from the order date. A buddy ordered two from them (on different occasions due to being rearended) and same thing, a little over a week.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account
post #17 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Okay...what do you call a black finish with absolutely no shine? My Warn Rock Crawler front bumper came that way. It may not be CALLED flat black but it is flat black color.
Sorry, what I meant was I've never seen a bumper advertised in a finish called flat black. Almost all manufacturers have a website... it's always best to use the exact nomenclature and part number if possible to avoid any confusion. And if you're not sure call first before placing the order.

I know that doesn't really help your situation. Good luck getting it resolved.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

I'm not sure on this one, every can of spray paint out there is one of 3 finishes. Gloss, Satin, or Flat.

I'm not sure why a fab shop would market a new paint naming standard when there is already a great "shiny or not shiny" nomenclature out there. Flat or gloss.

But the blame lands on the retail shop for not calling OR Fab and double checking the customers wishes with the companies products.

What shop is it? I might head down there and pick up a bumper for less than retail to save the shop the return freight.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, decided to just have it powder coated again ($45). I'll pick it up tues. Or-Fab is who gave (and delivered) the 5 week timeframe. Apparently there's some new management and said another could be shipped within 10 days. Honestly, I just didn't have faith in that. Besides, the local shop wasn't going to ship it back. They said they'd just put it in their inventory and sell it later.

In the end, it'll work out....for just a few more bucks and two more days. I did, however, lose a little faith in the shop. I'm not naming the shop because up to this point, they've taken good care of me and I'll chalk this up as uncommon.

As for color/surface, Or-Fab calls the shiny version "bike black" and the flat dull black is "wrinkle finish." Same bumper on Quadratec is listed as "Gloss black" or "textured black." Ridiculous. Mine will be the later when it's done.

post #20 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I ordered an Or-Fab rear bumper at a local shop. I asked for the flat black (to match rest of jeep). It arrived the other day and when I picked it up I asked, "This is the flat black, right?" They said it sure was. Get home and I have a nice, glossy rear bumper.

So if you ordered it thru a local shop, why are you pissed at Or-fab?

And for $6 just paint it, and give the bill to the local shop.

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #21 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hell, I'd still give the bill to the local shop for placing the wrong order. If it's only costing you $45 to get it refinished the way you want, I'm fairly certain they'd be willing to eat that cost in order to satisfy a repeat customer. Simple business tactics.

And $45 is damn cheap to get a bumper stripped and re-powdered! I just got a quote of $90 to do a set of 5 simulated lock rings on my new wheels. Of course, that's the shop minimum, but still.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Slow and Low

I know that if I'm ever shopping for anything that has to be a specific color/model/features, I just call the manufacturer myself to confirm that it's available the way I want it...BEFORE I order it.
Trust nobody if you are not flexible. Just sayin'.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
So if you ordered it thru a local shop, why are you pissed at Or-fab?

And for $6 just paint it, and give the bill to the local shop.
Ummmm....where did I say I was pissed at Or-Fab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I know that if I'm ever shopping for anything that has to be a specific color/model/features, I just call the manufacturer myself to confirm that it's available the way I want it...BEFORE I order it.
Trust nobody if you are not flexible. Just sayin'.
Lesson learned.

post #24 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
So here's my complaint now: If you don't know which qualifies as "flat black" (wrinkle black) wouldn't you ask the manufacturer before placing the order? Now I'm probably not going to be an Or-Fab customer. Not because they don't make quality stuff, they do. Just because I'm not waiting another 5 weeks.
This part here ^^^^^

You must be pissed at OR Fab or why are you punishing them for your local shops fuck up????
post #25 of 25 Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
This part here ^^^^^

You must be pissed at OR Fab or why are you punishing them for your local shops fuck up????
I'm not pissed at them. However, it did take them SIX WEEKS to get my bumper to me. My lack of desire to wait that long for another is in no way a punishment. I even commented that they make quality stuff. It just would take longer than I'm willing to accept for that quality. I'd rather spend a bit more for same quality in less time.

In the end, I kept the bumper anyway. But in no way did I blame Or-Fab for anything but the excessively long lead time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode