Which mod first?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-25-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Which mod first??

Alright, so I'm kindof at that point where my next couple of mods are gonna be big (and expensive lol) so I need to figure out the order in which I'm gonna do them. The three possibilities I'm considering are (A) 37" Tires (B) 4" lift or (C) Dana 44 Front axle (probably Dynatrac) with ARB locker. I should mention that I have Poison Spyder tube fenders and a 2.5 lift so I think I can clear 37's without a problem. I currently have 4.88 gearing and a Currie D60 rear axle, but front axle is just all factory minus being regeared. I also should mention that i have the 6 speed. Just trying to get some ideas as to which i should do first (and why or why not). Not really sure if the factory front axle would hold up to the 37's for long, but I have to say that I'm anxious to get my jeep on 37's and a better lift because it'll look better and more importantly perform better. Let me know what you think!

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 05:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go ahead and get the 37's. You have the rear axle beefed up and gearing. I would make sure the caps are tack welded on your front axle shafts. Your C2's won't hold up long offroad without support. They aren't real expensive and can be done when you tack the caps. The front axle is next and as soon as possible. You will need to extend your bumpstops with your current lift to go offroad. Planman has all the info on this topic. Your fenders will really help make this an easy chore.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 06-26-2011 at 05:39 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 05:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would definitely have an extra front axle shaft spare ready for trail repair. It is almost always the short side. The longer side has more length to twist before breaking. The skinny pedal will make this repair necessary with ease if you get on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Looking at where you have the rig now, my next step would be to beef the front axle, or, ditch it altogether and get a good 44 & locker up there. You can get the 30 to live for awhile, but it's money that could go towards something much better. JMHO, or course. I'd do the 37s after that and take it from there.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Looking at where you have the rig now, my next step would be to beef the front axle, or, ditch it altogether and get a good 44 & locker up there. You can get the 30 to live for awhile, but it's money that could go towards something much better. JMHO, or course. I'd do the 37s after that and take it from there.
x2...if it was me I'd go ahead and replace the front D30. Spending money on sleeves/gussets/shafts will add up pretty quickly (especially if you don't know how to weld), so I'd go ahead and spend the money on the front 44 now.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #6 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Another vote for replacing the front axle. You would just be delaying the inevitable with beefing up the D30.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #7 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If I were you I would go for the new front axle.... or beef it.

I am running a 30 with 37s and a heavy ass Jeep but have to pick and choose my wheeling because there are not any close... which results in limited abuse.

If I lived where I had better access to trails closer to home I am pretty sure I would have destroyed it by now..... if not then I would be doing something wrong.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the input. You guys are probably right, I should just be on the safe side and do the axle first then do the tires and lift. Wish I had the $$$ to do it all at once lol, guess i just need to go win the lottery.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Thanks for the input. You guys are probably right, I should just be on the safe side and do the axle first then do the tires and lift. Wish I had the $$$ to do it all at once lol, guess i just need to go win the lottery.
I think that's a good choice. My vote would be to replace the front axle as well. Then when you go 37's you'll be able to wheel with some real confidence.

I just ordered tires...going from a 33 to a 35 and really struggled with just jumping to 37's. I decided to get the 35's now and then base my build around the proper requirements to run 37's the right way.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #10 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 03:03 AM
Granite Guru

Replace the front axle. Then you will feel go out wheeling without much worries. Will be good and setup for the 37s
post #11 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Id get the wife that new microwave first.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #12 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 AM
JKowners Vendor

Go with a nice PR44. Then, you wont have to worry to much about everything else and you can make the jump to 37's. This will give you a piece of mind over the D30. Plus, you wont sink a ton into the D30, just to get it by!

Let us know if we can help!
-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #13 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Id get the wife that new microwave first.
Lol well I'm single atm so I dont have to worry about that right now.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Go with a nice PR44. Then, you wont have to worry to much about everything else and you can make the jump to 37's. This will give you a piece of mind over the D30. Plus, you wont sink a ton into the D30, just to get it by!

Let us know if we can help!
-Jason
Thanks Jason. Just curious but what do you get for the new pro rock unlimited w/ ARB's, 513's, and 35 spline axles??

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #15 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM
JKowners Vendor

PM heading your way buddy!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #16 of 16 Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Granite Guru

Make sure you get the unlimited version. Also I believe there is an extreme casing that has thicker tubes that is not that much more. I just went through all this and by time you get a fully loaded PR44 around 5500-5700 you are not that far away from a 60. So I ended up going the 60 route. Was only about 1k more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode