Question about the 2012 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question about the 2012

I don't know if it will be a huge deal, but with the change to the engine in the 2012 will the JK front become lighter or heavier?

New engines causes changes to mounting points and where it is placed on the body could this aftermarket lists?

Not that its a huge body change or anything, but you figure that aftermarket coils are based on a certain front sprung mass of the vehicle.

Would it be smart to wait to see what the aftermarket companies see on the 2012 before you order lifts and such, just incase there is a change?

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM

I read on the pentastar info page the new engine is signifigantly lighter than the existing 3.7L (94 lbs). Not sure about mounting points, etc.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Rock God

Eh, keeping current lift spring rates would let you retain more of your lift height when you add a heavy front bumper and winch, seems beneficial to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

You also go from a 4 speed to 5 speed auto tranny which might up the weight.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM
JKowners Vendor

"oh2o confirmed that the wheelbase on the two-door 2012 Jeep Wrangler will go up by a tenth of an inch, and Bob Sheaves wrote this meant that they would move the engine (Pentastar V6) forward to fit the five-speed WA580 transmission in (itís three inches longer than the current four-speed automatic). That could make it easier to give the windshield more an angle for aerodynamics (as was announced earlier)."

These seemingly minor adjustments can cause some consternation in the modification department. Hoping the Jeep engineers stick with the near-perfect 50-50 weight distribution when the 2012's actually hit the ground. If the engine is lighter than the current 3.8, then moving it forward will actually help maintain that balance. The fact that they moved the wheelbase out 1/10th of an inch tells me they are paying VERY close attention to weight distribution.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Rock God

Garage

i hope that with the new 2012's we will be able to use our current lifts or buy the lifts that we have been wanting for a long time right out of the gate. i'm seriously thinking of trading up to a 4 dr unlimited, but i think if i were going to do that i would want to just take my current set up off, and place it on the 4dr that way i don't have to drive around stock. i'm really likeing the sahara tans, especially with the poison spyder ricki rockett build.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode