Shock length for 2.5" lift? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Shock length for 2.5" lift?

What's a good shock to put on with a 2.5" coil lift? And what length do I need? I'm looking at the Teraflex 2.5" Coil lift without shocks, or if anyone has had good reviews of the shocks that come with their lift, I'll go with them, but usually the ones that come with the kits aren't the best. Thanks for any input....

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
JKowners Vendor

Teraflex makes some nice shocks. Or if your looking at other brands their is the Bilstiens or the Synergy Suspension ones that wont break the bank and still offer a good ride. Or you could step up from there and look at the RRD's for Rock Krawler or the IFP's from Fox Shocks. Our customers have had great luck with all of the above!

Let me know if we can help or if you have any more questions...

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #3 of 14 Old 06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Rock God

The Teraflex shocks for 3"-4" work great for 2.5" lift. I used there lower front and upper rear bump stops. No rubby de tubby..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys, if the Teraflex shocks are decent, then I'll just stick with them. I've never had experience with any of their shocks before. Thanks again...

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
post #5 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Wheeler

I have the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and originally went with their shocks. I badly damaged my right rear shock playing in the rocks and used that as an excuse to buy new Bilstein 5100s all the way around. I like the ride with the Bilsteins better. It's not as harsh in my opinion.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Wheeler

Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths for shocks to be used with the 2.5" lift?
Is a 10" or 12" travel shock too much?

I don't like ordering a manufacturer's shock without knowing those numbers, and it also makes it easier to replace it with an "off-the-shelf" part if need be.

Thanks!!
post #7 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

I run the 2.5" TF coil lift with all the fixins, TF 9550 shocks included. Ride is a bit harsher than stock Rubicon. I'll probably run them for another year or so and then get some Bilsteins or OMEs. Not bad for the money and since they came with the kit I ordered, they were discounted even more. They're not bad and have enjoyed them, but not sure I would buy them at full retail price if I had other options.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #8 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07RedX View Post
Does anyone know the extended and compressed lengths for shocks to be used with the 2.5" lift?
Is a 10" or 12" travel shock too much?

I don't like ordering a manufacturer's shock without knowing those numbers, and it also makes it easier to replace it with an "off-the-shelf" part if need be.

Thanks!!
Let's see if we can throw some useful information in here and answer your question.

The Tera-Flex and Rock Krawler 2.5" kits lift the vehicle about the same height so I'd use the dimensions below for your new shocks. A 10 or 11 inch travel shock fits right into where you'll want to be with the shock length.

Generic Front Shock Recommendation - 16" Collapsed to 27" Extended

Generic Rear Shock Recommendation - 16" Collapsed to 26" Extended

If you want to go with Bilsteins, order these:

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

If you want to stick with TF9550s - see below. I don't have the measurements handy on these shocks but I would tend to lean on the longer shocks, as mentioned above in another post.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-9550-vss-...l-4.html#first

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-9550-vss-...3-4-all-4.html

From experience (also mentioned above) the Bilstein 5100 will give a more supple ride but does a very good job of remaining firm where you need it. Tera-Flex is one of the few companies that includes shocks with their lifts that ARE of decent quality.

The 5100 or the 9550 are a good choice. If you need further assistance, input, or pricing just give me a shout.

Marcus

post #9 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Let's see if we can throw some useful information in here and answer your question.

The Tera-Flex and Rock Krawler 2.5" kits lift the vehicle about the same height so I'd use the dimensions below for your new shocks. A 10 or 11 inch travel shock fits right into where you'll want to be with the shock length.

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

If you want to stick with TF9550s - see below. I don't have the measurements handy on these shocks but I would tend to lean on the longer shocks, as mentioned above in another post.

From experience (also mentioned above) the Bilstein 5100 will give a more supple ride but does a very good job of remaining firm where you need it. Tera-Flex is one of the few companies that includes shocks with their lifts that ARE of decent quality.

The 5100 or the 9550 are a good choice. If you need further assistance, input, or pricing just give me a shout.

Marcus
Aren't you supposed to be "out of the office" professor?

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #10 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
Aren't you supposed to be "out of the office" professor?

post #11 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just swapped my TF 2.5 to a RK 2.5 (I know but it all works out for me). I had the coil/shock kit. I replaced the TF shocks with Bilsten. TF is a stiff ride, if you like that then you will be fine, if you want a softer ride, go with Bilsten.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Front - BE5-E578-HO

Rear - BE5-E671-HO

Marcus
Thanks for the fast response!
Exactly the info I was looking for!!!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Wheeler

Hey Marcus. I was sold these part numbers for a TF 2.5 coil lift. It seems ok on road but i haven't been offroad yet. Do you think it will cause any problems?

Bilstein 5100s

Part Number: 33-186887
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.96
*Extended Length (IN): 27.36
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E175-H0

Part Number: 24-186872
*Collapsed Length (IN): 16.41
*Extended Length (IN): 27.56
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-E174-H0
post #14 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

No sir! You'll have some extra flex with them which isn't a bad thing. Your bump stops will keep your suspension in check.

You've got shocks that we recommend for the 3.5" kits from Rock Krawler and this lengths should be similar to what the other guys mentioned with their 3-4" TF shocks on the 2.5 kit.

Go have some fun and check out all the droop you've got.

This iPad is hard to type on btw...lol

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode