Twisting sector shaft - diagnosing and effects? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Twisting sector shaft - diagnosing and effects?

So reading bits online and talking to a couple of people. I think I twisted my steering sector shaft on a trail this last weekend.

On a snon patch section, I hit my front passenger tire HARD on a rock. Jeep bounced back and steering wheel flipped 180 degrees. Looked under and saw I bent my trackbar, axle shifted and upper part of driver swaybar link hitting spring. I also quickly realized that I lost the majority of my left turn ability - max steering wheel left turn was about 90 deg. Looked underneath again and saw the pitman arm was pretty much pointing in the full left turn position. I shortened my drag link to about as short as it could go which gave me most of my left turn back and allowed me to eventually get off trail and get the jeep back home. At that short drag link length, I did center the wheel, but ESP and BAS remain lit.

So now the questions: Does this sound like a twisted sector shaft to you? How do you definitely tell if it's twisted - by taking off the pitman arm is it obvious? (I don't have those tools currently). Assuming it is twisted to the level I described, does that mean I have get a new steering box/repair asap - specifically, that the shaft is severely weakened to to point that it will snap much more easily with further wheeling or even driving? (I have another Rubicon run coming up in a few weeks.) Any one ever have just the pitman arm go bad (it looks fine) and slip? Basically, I pretty much know nil about steering boxes (until Saturday)...

I'm running: 2010 JKU. Teraflex 4" w/ full ca. Teraflex frame brace/drag link flip kit. Currie tie rod. 37" KM2s.

Sidenote: Called Teraflex Monday, sent picture of their trackbar and Tuesday they called back and were sending me one under warranty for just the shipping cost.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
JKowners Vendor

Okay, good that TF is sending you a new one. Pics?

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Rock God

could just be the trackbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM
lbh
Rock God

I have done this but minus the track bar. Hit an obstacle and the steering wheel was just as you described. I ended up upgrading to PSC. The sector shaft was twisted. Hard to believe.

2007 JK
post #5 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My thoughts are the sector shaft is twisted. It will be weakened. Replace the steering box; worth the piece of mind. Give West Texas Offroad a shout.

I was part of last Summer's two broken sector shafts trip on the Rubicon. It was easy to see the twisted splines and the metal was brittle.

Great to see Teraflex step up, yet again. Great vendor.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegoose1 View Post
My thoughts are the sector shaft is twisted. It will be weakened. Replace the steering box; worth the piece of mind. Give West Texas Offroad a shout.

I was part of last Summer's two broken sector shafts trip on the Rubicon. It was easy to see the twisted splines and the metal was brittle.

Great to see Teraflex step up, yet again. Great vendor.
I called WTOF yesterday. Great shop from my conversation. I learned from them - unfortunately - that 2009+ steering boxes are not rebuildable. Which means even If I went the Stage II or III route I still have to buy a stock steering box for WTOF since they can't reuse mine...

TF trackbar arrived today! Will take pics once I have the old one off.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 03:50 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Discount steering boxes can be had (some online dealers will sell at 35%+ off retail). I had one sent to Matt after he had decided, with mine in hand, that there is no replacement shaft at the moment. Cost buy and to have sent to him was about 30% less than my local dealer would sell me just the box for, so look around. Replacement is easy and can be done with basic hand tools in a few hours (plus welding). Be careful of the evil fluid and e-clips.

Now... that said. If you are replacing your box and are buying an upgraded pump, look at PSC. Otherwise.... Matt's prices can't be beat.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Again, we need a good truck box to replace the stock JK pile. PSC, Howe, AGR (Yikes!) when are you going to step up? How hard can this be?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Again, we need a good truck box to replace the stock JK pile. PSC, Howe, AGR (Yikes!) when are you going to step up? How hard can this be?
I know PSC just finished a new steering Box and now carries a sector shaft for the unpainted delphi box. The painted box was made in china and cannot be rebuilt.

I ordered a new shaft on friday mine is twisted some better safe the sorry.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-22-2012, 06:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I called WTOF yesterday. Great shop from my conversation. I learned from them - unfortunately - that 2009+ steering boxes are not rebuildable. Which means even If I went the Stage II or III route I still have to buy a stock steering box for WTOF since they can't reuse mine...

TF trackbar arrived today! Will take pics once I have the old one off.
Look up the cardone part number that is the JK steering box. They sell remanufactured JK steering box's for about 170 bucks from websites like rock auto, etc. There are a few others but I cannot remember the names. I will search for that part number as well. BUt its just nice to know that you dont have to purchase a 800 dollar one from the dealer at least! And in that instance, you might as well go with a PSC box considering the price. PSC systems are crazy expensive. If I was to upgrade to hydro it would be WTOR for sure.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #11 of 12 Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not4you View Post
I know PSC just finished a new steering Box and now carries a sector shaft for the unpainted delphi box. The painted box was made in china and cannot be rebuilt.

I ordered a new shaft on friday mine is twisted some better safe the sorry.
I think it is priced at around 1200 bucks

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #12 of 12 Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM
JKO Addict!

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/stee.../cd275200.html

Here you go. I would get one of these. Then send it out to WTOR and do the hydro upgrade. Still less than half of what you would pay going with PSC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode