How are you guys securing your sway bars when disco'd? Non-Rubicon. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How are you guys securing your sway bars when disco'd? Non-Rubicon.

I installed a RK 3.5" Mid-Arm lift over the weekend which includes their disconnects. What is a simple method for securing the sway bar and links when disconnected? What are you guys doing?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

I use straps, it came with the BDS lift I installed

Bryan
Sent from my smoke signals
post #3 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

Rubber straps----------

RK 3.5 LIFT/RRD SHOCKS/FRONT CONTROL ARMS/DRAG LINK/TRACK BAR/REAR BRAKE HOSES/COOPER 295-75-17 STT JEEPERMAN FRONT BUMPER SUPERWINCH EPI9 JKS LOWER TRACK BAR BRACES/DISCONNECTS CRAGAR WHEELS SOFT 8 SYNERGY UPPER TRACK BAR BRACES RR SKID PLATES BENCHMARK DESIGNS EVAP SKID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I bought the Teraflex bracket and pins to stow the connects....cheap and easy install....however !!

the Pins were to large and/or the the RK eyes were too small....used the brakets with some Clevis Pins instead of the TF posts...and it works perfect !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #5 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I pull the whole link and wedge the sway bar up onto the shock tower. Check it when i get out, but it rarely moves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #6 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just swing mine all the way up and out of the way. It never budges. I'm not sure if just my sway bar is just stiffer than others or what, but when i seing it up out of the way, its fine there.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #7 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Rock God

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
same.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
JKowners Vendor

Zip ties, baling wire, or just remove the entire sway bar and discard...You asked for simple!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #9 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I just swing mine all the way up and out of the way. It never budges. I'm not sure if just my sway bar is just stiffer than others or what, but when i seing it up out of the way, its fine there.
That will only work until the bushings in your sway bar mount start to age a bit and/or you start hitting the really big rocks.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #10 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 03:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bunjee cord around the sway bar then i tie it off to the front bumper

www.jeepasylum.com
post #11 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Pollys come with a bracket that mounts to the frame that you put the links on.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #12 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Rock God

i just use a small bungee on each side.. works great
post #13 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I used to use THHN wire. Soon as I get my BDS lift installed, I will use the included straps.

I have seen posts bolted in the wheel wells that you connect your links to that holds the sway from moving. The post looks just like the post where you regularly connect your links just much higher. Next time I can, I will get a picture of it.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #14 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a big zip tie on the frame (both sides) and I push them up and then zip tie them to the zip tie on the frame.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Wheeler

Asmmns has the right way to go. A lot of companies sell them. Mine Rubicon Express and they ran $125. I have seen no less than 8 tires that got a puncher because the strap came loose. It could be the person putting on the strap incorrectly but why chance it?
post #16 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

^

Thanks.... i agree, cheap and easy insurance, plus looks nice and neat !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #17 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Got these from Polly
Attached Images

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #18 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Rock God

I have the JKS disco's, My links come completely off. I haven't had a chance to really get rough with it yet. I Thought maybe ty-wrap it to the spring right next to it. Has anyone tried this? Any issues?

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
post #19 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I bought the Teraflex bracket and pins to stow the connects....cheap and easy install....however !!

the Pins were to large and/or the the RK eyes were too small....used the brakets with some Clevis Pins instead of the TF posts...and it works perfect !
I did the same except i welded some bolts to the brackets. I also drilled holes in the bolts to secure the links with the pins.

You can kinda see it in this pic...

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 06-26-2011 at 07:29 AM.
post #20 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

I got the TF pins also.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #21 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Granite Guru

I pull the bar up and wrap a bungee around it and the front body mounts. Never has moved on me before.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #22 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

when i was in moab i used both zip ties, and then i just used small little bungee chords that i had in one of my pouches. the bungees worked really well!

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #23 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Wheeler

Zip ties here also, but I should find something else because I'm going through a ton of them lately.
post #24 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

I only have about 3" total lift in front but use the rough country discos. Extremely easy to use and the frame brackets were an easy install. No extra stuff needed. Pull the pin, place end over the frame mount and use same pin to hold it in place. About $60 and one of the bang-for-buck purchases I've made.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #25 of 37 Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I did the same except i welded some bolts to the brackets. I also drilled holes in the bolts to secure the links with the pins.

You can kinda see it in this pic...

that was my plan....but i waited til the night before a run to figure out they didnt match up so the true value solution worked and then kinda stayed so that i couold justify paying more for the clevis pins than teh TF brackets !!! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode