Axle Gussets - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Axle Gussets

Thinking of beefing up the dana 30 up front on my JK. looking at Rusty's axle gussets.

Is it possible to weld the gussets on while the axle is still mounted on the jeep? or is it required to remove the axle and shafts? I doubt there any risk of burning thru, but would the heat of welding mess anything up? Seals bearings etc?

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Rock God

you should be fine, most people just do small sections at a time and even put a wet rag on the welds to cool them down and go back and forth from side to side to letting time for each side to cool down a bit. the gussets are a very smart upgrade
post #3 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Yup. Can definitely be done with the axle in place.
Did a set of polys yesterday actually.
Well let me put a disclaimer on that- poly performance and OREs can be done on the jeep- never done a set of rustys.

Just do a little bit at a time and alternate sides/upper/lower too keep as much heat out of the plastic ball joints as possible.
I also use a wet towel on the bjs between passes to help cool them/prevent as much heat soak as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

x2. Welded some Teraflex ones on mine and just had a cool wet rag on the BJs as stated. worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Jeep's role in society is that they function outside of society.

post #5 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Awsome thanks for the tips! Mine are in the mail

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #6 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Rock God

I bought the teraflex just because there easy to weld in, ive welded both styles.
They get HOT when welding them on be VERY careful not to melt your balljoints...they are plastic if still stock.
I installed poly bj's after welding gussets.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
JKowners Vendor

We use Poly, and they can be welded with the axle housing on the Jeep, but since we are also sleeving our axles, we do it off the Jeep. For $100 more, plus some drilling time, the inner sleeves are WELL worth it...just food for thought!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Wheeler

Do you have any pics of the installed gussets, trying to get an idea of where I would need to beef up my housings.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Welded mine while on jeep. Just used plenty of water to keep cool!!

You smell that?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

I did my Poly C's and the rest of Rusty's kit while the axle was still under the Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode