element door system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Coonasian

Garage
element door system

I did do a search for the Element Door System but many people were waiting on the product, considering it, etc. I would like some testimonials before I pull the trigger. Any fresh news, yea or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Wheeler

Garage

You're not gonna like what I have to say about them. I'll try to be generous.

They are a pain to get dialed in. Then when I wanted to put the enclosure skins on, I had to disassemble them and re-build them with the skins in place. Things didn't line up well at all, but after much weeping and gnashing of teeth I got them on.

The rattle that the tube doors had was mostly eliminated by wrapping electrical tape around the striker. But with the added weight of the doors with skins, the rattle increased.

When I put the door seals on, I realized that the seal material only barely touches in some places and doesn't touch at all in others. You can see right through to the outside. No way thats keeping much out.

The uppers require a great deal of adjusting and bending, but can be made to work with enough effort. I had dreams of being able to switch from tube door to half door to full two-piece door. That's not gonna happen.

It's just too much work to get the skins on or off and get the latches to work again. My estimate is that it takes a good hour to an hour and a half (being really generous here) to do 4 doors. I am looking into alternate mounting methods so I do not have to remove the latches to install the skins. But even then I am left with half doors that do not seal (not even close) and that rattle a lot.

I will probably just use them as tubular doors with mirrors and switch them out with my full doors when needed. Those doors are heavy though.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

x2

I have a set with uppers sitting in my garage, only used a few times. A waste of money in my opinion if it's going to be a daily driver, but as a trail asset not a bad addition!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Coonasian

Garage

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the extra input. I think after reading all the testimonials that I will probably save up for a half door system. That really seems to be a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru

I've been considering them as well and while I have heard issues about getting them to sit right, here is a pretty decent thread from someone who was satisfied.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23452

post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I had them for about a year. I spent the first few months waiting on uppers, and receiving several sets of replacement latches before I gave up (didn't want to weld, as Bestop said they wouldn't warranty anything if I did ). They leaked everywhere, rattled, were too heavy for what they were, and the uppers flapped incessantly. I am glad to be rid of them.

At this point, I keep my fullies for winter and NYC trips- otherwise, I run no doors- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode