Rock sliders with steps.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rock sliders with steps....

Could someone give me some personal reviews of any sliders you might have that you can actually use as a step? My wife is 5'2" and I don't want to go with a plastic step, I'd like to have rock slider that can be used as a step. The Jeep isn't lifted yet, but she's already having trouble crawling up in it without the steps. I got rid of my 2008 that had steps, and now am in a 2011 as of yesterday, and it doesn't have anything for steps. Thanks....

P.S. I did search, but couldn't really find anything real helpfull...

2011 Sahara Tan Unlimited Sport, 3.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Rock God

post #3 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My Shrockworks sliders are awesome and double as a step really well. Made in the USA, and I didn't even have to wait for them...they shipped right out.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MannyLx450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUnlimited View Post
Could someone give me some personal reviews of any sliders you might have that you can actually use as a step? My wife is 5'2" and I don't want to go with a plastic step, I'd like to have rock slider that can be used as a step. The Jeep isn't lifted yet, but she's already having trouble crawling up in it without the steps. I got rid of my 2008 that had steps, and now am in a 2011 as of yesterday, and it doesn't have anything for steps. Thanks....

JK 2-Dr Brawler Rockers™
Retail: $759.00

Installed picture:

Your Rigid Industries Source

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PH: 754-201-58-48
post #5 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

My wife is 5'4" and does fine on my Body Armor sliders....though I have thought of throwing some grip tape on there.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #6 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Granite Guru

MBRP. Steps come off with 4 bolts when it's time for aggressive wheeling. Takes about 10 minutes. My wife is 5'0". Makes a big difference for her. I also carry customers and they have no issues getting in and out, front or back.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Ace rails....

Kyle
[email protected]
post #8 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies so far guys. It looks like some nice options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnersJK View Post

MBRP. Steps come off with 4 bolts when it's time for aggressive wheeling. Takes about 10 minutes. My wife is 5'0". Makes a big difference for her. I also carry customers and they have no issues getting in and out, front or back.
Can you show me some more pics of these on yours? More from the side and maybe a close up? Thanks, That's kinda what I'm looking for, I think. LOL

post #9 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

I shot some quick phone photos. Did not reduce them yet, so go to:

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx312/us027274/
post #10 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the photos. Will definitely keep these in mind.

post #11 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Rock God

i really didn't care for the look of body armor rock rails. but they costed me 100 dollars and i had to get something on their for protection and for the passengers.

it works really well for off roading and i use it as my step to get in and out every day. very stout and sturdy for off road useage. took me an hour to put on both sides. super cheap and super strong. very impressed without a doubt.

i came down on this boulder and watched my rock rail barely nudge

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Last edited by pluke the 2; 06-20-2011 at 06:17 PM.
post #12 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Wheeler

Sliders to me are important for protection as well as as step. When I was shopping I looked at the MBRP, but ended up going with PSC Brawler Rockers after all the research. Not as convenient as a step, but better protection. With a little grip tape is a great step.

They are tougher than they look in pictures

Here it is after I cut down a tire

Can't do that on most sliders
post #13 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
i really didn't care for the look of body armor rock rails. but they costed me 100 dollars and i had to get something on their for protection and for the passengers.

it works really well for off roading and i use it as my step to get in and out every day. very stout and sturdy for off road useage. took me an hour to put on both sides. super cheap and super strong. very impressed without a doubt.
I really like those. I am going to look into those also.

Boris, thanks for the pics, I just don't think I want ones that bolt to the body. I'm looking more for ones that are frame mounted. But keep the pics coming, I like to see what everyone has.

Thanks...

post #14 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Got the smittybilt rails....liked how they looked, hugged the body and mounted to the frame..

easy nstall, only two mounting points....my wife and son will stick there foot in between the rails as a step....although you dont get much depth to get your toe in and fell like you may slip...

recently dropped the entire weight of the jeep on one of these.... left a minor dent in the rail... but the rails shifted up about and inch and left a nice dent in my rocker panel....and then went right back to its original position...

some people argue that they didnt work because of the body damage.... for the price i am super happy how they held up and i would have crushed my rocker and cab without them...

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #15 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I really like those. I am going to look into those also.

Boris, thanks for the pics, I just don't think I want ones that bolt to the body. I'm looking more for ones that are frame mounted. But keep the pics coming, I like to see what everyone has.

Thanks...
The Brawlers do not just bolt to the body. They have two parts - rocker armor that bolts to the body, and a second piece that connects to frame, and then ties into the rocker armor. This is how PSC overcomes the fact that the body is curved but the frame is straight.

Thye look pretty massive in the box, but not on the jeep. They cover and protect the area between the frame and the rocker for the length of the body. They have gussets of 3/16" steel every 6" the entire length.

You can see on the left the mounting point where they attach to the body mounts. The brawlers have an 1"-1.5" more clearence than frame mounted sliders, and tube sliders can have their mounting bars catch on rock and mess with your line, where these are flat and slide. I think boatside rockers have a lot of advantages, whether PSC or Fab Fours or others. I don't think any other design will provide better protection.
post #16 of 35 Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

I like my TNT Customs sliders a lot.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #17 of 35 Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Rock God

Another vote for Poison Spyder.
Also get the velcro pull up strap handle. Work upper body strength.
My niece's works with a woman who is 5'2" and drives a lifted full size truck on 40's. No step. She grabs the arm rest and seat edge and just pulls herself up like a gymnast.

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #18 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Got the smittybilt rails....liked how they looked, hugged the body and mounted to the frame..

easy nstall, only two mounting points....my wife and son will stick there foot in between the rails as a step....although you dont get much depth to get your toe in and fell like you may slip...

recently dropped the entire weight of the jeep on one of these.... left a minor dent in the rail... but the rails shifted up about and inch and left a nice dent in my rocker panel....and then went right back to its original position...

some people argue that they didnt work because of the body damage.... for the price i am super happy how they held up and i would have crushed my rocker and cab without them...
This is the second person I have heard of in less than 1 month that has body damage due to Smittybilts. IMHO - "Run! Forest Run!" Rails should be strong enough to take the hit. Two mounting points does not give the enough support for a 4 door.

I have LoD Rails and I love them. My wife likes the step feature too.

Another thing to consider before you make your purchase is how they mount. Weld on, bolt on, Nutserts..... as well as how many supports they mount with.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #19 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res6cue View Post
This is the second person I have heard of in less than 1 month that has body damage due to Smittybilts. IMHO - "Run! Forest Run!" Rails should be strong enough to take the hit. Two mounting points does not give the enough support for a 4 door.

I have LoD Rails and I love them. My wife likes the step feature too.

Another thing to consider before you make your purchase is how they mount. Weld on, bolt on, Nutserts..... as well as how many supports they mount with.
I agree. There are a number of sliders that you can drop the entire weight of the jeep and come away without any damage to the body. Go with one of them.
post #20 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post 4'10 and 1/2"

Quote:

I'm using Body Armor 4x4 sliders. I added a anti skid strip to the top and Oh-Shit Handles to the roll bar. She has no problem getting it at 4'10.5". This picture is before I added the anti skid strip. But it gives a good view of the rock slider.
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #21 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Nemesis has sliders and you can add an addtional step if the slider itself isn't big enough for you to step on. My wife is 5'1" and doesn't really have an issue with their normal slider as a step, but their additional bump out step would be super nice for her.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #22 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Nemesis has sliders and you can add an addtional step if the slider itself isn't big enough for you to step on. My wife is 5'1" and doesn't really have an issue with their normal slider as a step, but their additional bump out step would be super nice for her.
I'm not all set up with access to pics yet, but check out our website @ http://www.nem-ind.com/catalog/jk/jk-rocker-armor-0 for more info on our Billy Rockers.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Aaron

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #23 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Industries View Post
I'm not all set up with access to pics yet, but check out our website @ http://www.nem-ind.com/catalog/jk/jk-rocker-armor-0 for more info on our Billy Rockers.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Aaron
Here you go... this is the TJ version, but the JK version looks the same.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #24 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How hard of an install are the nemesis? I'd really rather not drill into the body, so I'm looking for more of a step that is beefy enough to double as a slider. I don't plan on doing extreme trails with it, but I want some sort of protection in case I get in a predicament. Thanks for these options so far. A lot more to look at that I haven't seen before.

I really like these nemesis ones a lot, just not 100% on drilling into the body yet.

post #25 of 35 Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
How hard of an install are the nemesis? I'd really rather not drill into the body, so I'm looking for more of a step that is beefy enough to double as a slider. I don't plan on doing extreme trails with it, but I want some sort of protection in case I get in a predicament. Thanks for these options so far. A lot more to look at that I haven't seen before.

I really like these nemesis ones a lot, just not 100% on drilling into the body yet.
We list the home install at 5 hours to complete both sides, which includes the "Titan Tub Armor" and the "Billy Rockers" themselves. The most time consuming part is the Titan Tub armor....you really want this to line up perfectly. There's 5 holes across the outside of the body, and another 8 across the return bend under the body...then an additional 2 underneath for the Billy Rockers.

Feel free to call me at 303-974-2465 anytime of the week before 5 MST and I'll get more of an expert on the horn to more accurately walk you through the proper install steps.

Aaron

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode