getting the JK road worthy again! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

getting the JK road worthy again!

Story:
I bought my JK new back in '07 it's an unlimited X. She now has 115,000 miles, with lots and lots of wheeling under her belt. It's a pretty run of the mill jeep w/ lift, 35's, winch bumper, winch, sliders.... I stopped wheeling this jeep May of '09 (thats when I finished my TJ crawler). Well, all the wheeling has taken a toll on the old gal and about a year ago I retired her from my d/d and started just using her as a weekender. The problems this jeep has now is enough to make me feel unsafe driving it at highway speeds and far distances. My goals now are to make the jeep road worthy again, and make it fun and safe to take on a road trip that is coming up in August (2400 miles round trip).

Problems:
serious front axle issues; ball joints, possible bent housing, and wallered out trackbar bracket(this is a re-inforced one that I welded on).
rear axle floats from side to side while going down the road.
constant death wobble (probably has to do with the front axle).
lots of creaks and clatters going down the road.
bushings out on the entire suspension.
pass side axle shaft has egged yoke on the outer.
top is ruined.
drivers seat has a bad tear.
is a gutless turd that gets bad mpg.
rear shocks are blown out.
front drive shaft is destroyed(this is the second oem).
sway bar discos are pretty f-d up

My hopes as a newb to this site is to get tips and advice on repairs required to fix the problems above(i figured this site probably has some guys that have broken a JK before since this site is tied to pirate). I'm doing 95% of the work myself, which is part of owning a jeep (I built my crawler with a couple friends in my shop). I am just hoping that maybe some of you experienced the same issues as I did. I was a member on JK-Forum since the beginning, but haven't posted on there in a long time, cuz it kinda turned into a whos jeep has the most useless junk contest over there......

Parts on order:
Bestop Treck top NX,
Bilstein 5100 shocks for rear,

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 06-20-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

First thing I would address is the front axle: shafts (either new or see if somebody has some stock spares they'll sell you), new Poly Performance ball joints, and replace the track bar brackets on the frame and axle.

Then tackle replacing all the bushings or just getting some new control arms.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #3 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The first real obstacle on my to do list is the front axle. I'm not really sure if the housing is bent, but the balljoints are only about a year old w/ lest than 10k miles and one light wheeling trip on them. yet the tires are still leaning in at the top. which makes me wonder if the c's are bent. I have had my jeep in a front end shop and they spect it and said the balljoints are good (this was about 6 months ago. I have one new wheel bearing on the driver side.

I would like to find a complete d30 used that some one took out of theirs and slap it under mine. How ever, I have realized in the last week that they go super fast and if they haven't sold it's cuz they are probably not much better than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
First thing I would address is the front axle: shafts (either new or see if somebody has some stock spares they'll sell you), new Poly Performance ball joints, and replace the track bar brackets on the frame and axle.

Then tackle replacing all the bushings or just getting some new control arms.

I posted my last post before I saw this one.

Once I find out if my axle is bad or not, I plan to do just that.
I'm designing my new track bar brackets right now, which hopefully when I get these designed and built they will withstand the tests of time.
post #5 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just got back from the alignment shop and this is what the report shows....

Camber: Left-1.2 right- 1.6

toe: Left--1.74* right- -1.94*

Camber specs for my jeep are supposed to be.....

camber: left- -.6 to .1 right- same as left

toe: left- .009 to .12 right- same as left

In the report they said my driver side upper and lower balljoints are slightly loose. Also, that the front axle is most likely bent due to the extreme camber angles!

So long story short, my front axle is junk! Time to hunt for a d30 w/ 4.10 gears or maybe 4.88's and I'll regear the rear to match......
post #6 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

just thinking out loud here but if you lifted it and don't have adjustable control arms your inner c's are not orientated in the right spot causing your camber to be out of spec.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I might have already found a D30....

comes with everything except brakes... has 5.13 gears, arb diff cover, and the c gussets..... $600

EDIT:....... I think I can find something cheaper.....

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 06-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.
post #8 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
just thinking out loud here but if you lifted it and don't have adjustable control arms your inner c's are not orientated in the right spot causing your camber to be out of spec.

I'm not sure on that, but I plan to buy new control arms. I'm not sure who I will buy from, but I know the uppers will be adjustable...
post #9 of 89 Old 06-20-2011, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

what he said....if you have anykind of lift without adj controll arms your camber will be out, but it should be out the same on both sides, the bigger the lift the more it will be out. ever think about looking into something better than another 30?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 89 Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks to y'alls advice I'm going to plumb bob the axle tonight and get exact measurments to find out if it's bent or not.

As far as upgrading from the turdy... I thought about it, but I dont really feel it's necessary. I have a jeep with 2 steering rockwells, and the need to make this one beefier isn't really there.
post #11 of 89 Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM
JKowners Vendor

Sounds like your on the right track. If your going to beat on it like you have, a PR44 might be a option.

So, when do we get to see pictures of this!!

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #12 of 89 Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm a picture posting whore..........

My JK(with the old rims and tires) pulling my crawler.... Only for fun... not actual tow rig...lol

This was my JK less than a week old....

Just giving an idea, I wasn't easy on her.....

How she looks today, except the top has no windows...

My Crawler: '99 TJ, steering rocks, 4 link, king triple stage coil overs, teralow, and lots and lots of tubing....

and me....

and last... my CJ-5 that started it all.... I've had it since I was 14...

days after I got it...

LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK....... AND THIS........

post #13 of 89 Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Rock God

Those are some nice jeeps. Welcome to JKO!

edit* are those pics of your tj at Barnwell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #14 of 89 Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

All look great.
post #15 of 89 Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubbie View Post
Those are some nice jeeps. Welcome to JKO!

edit* are those pics of your tj at Barnwell?

Thanks...

Yup, that's at BMRA. I've been going there for about 5 or 6 years now. It's a fun park, I haven't missed a Mega Run in 5 years. Although, some of the people that were running the event pissed me off this year, so I dont know if I'll be back.
post #16 of 89 Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, after doing a crap load of measurements, it looks like I bent my front axle where the C's mount to the axle tube. So, the hunt for a new housing is on.

While waiting on finding my new front axle I'm going to go a head and order some other parts. I think I am going to order my control arms, and just do away with the factory control arms. I think I'm going to go with WP lowers and currie uppers. I'm not doing currie lowers cuz that would run me about $1200 in control arms.... .

I'm also going to order my new trackbars today. It will be TeraFlex front and rear. I already have a teraflex in front, but it's pretty much worn out. The rear, I can't remember what brand it is.....

I'm prolly going to order my sway bar disco's as well.....
post #17 of 89 Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just ordered some stuff from Krawloff-road.com. Jason over there made me a good deal on some items and is very friendly to deal with and has been super fast at replying to my e-mails. I can't wait to get my stuff in the mail and do more business with him in the future.

List of items I bought:

RK02015 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms

RK02020 - RK JK Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms

RK02022 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms

RK02028 - RK JK Double Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms

RK02024 - RK JK 2" to 4" Double Adjustable Front Track Bar

RKJKC0001 - RK JK Bomb Proof Rear Double Adjustable Track Bar and Bracket
post #18 of 89 Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm getting a D30 housing off of one of the members from JKO(redx 08). He made me a sweet deal and I'm looking forward to getting the housing! The list of crap I need is getting smaller! I'm probably done spending money this week, but next week I'll be right back on it!
post #19 of 89 Old 06-23-2011, 12:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
I just ordered some stuff from Krawloff-road.com. Jason over there made me a good deal on some items and is very friendly to deal with and has been super fast at replying to my e-mails. I can't wait to get my stuff in the mail and do more business with him in the future.

List of items I bought:

RK02015 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms

RK02020 - RK JK Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms

RK02022 - RK JK High Clearance Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms

RK02028 - RK JK Double Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms

RK02024 - RK JK 2" to 4" Double Adjustable Front Track Bar

RKJKC0001 - RK JK Bomb Proof Rear Double Adjustable Track Bar and Bracket
That's a sweet set of parts coming. I'll be doing control arms soon and like the RK stuff. I'd like to see some install pics and get your opinion of them once they are installed.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #20 of 89 Old 06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
Thanks...

Yup, that's at BMRA. I've been going there for about 5 or 6 years now. It's a fun park, I haven't missed a Mega Run in 5 years. Although, some of the people that were running the event pissed me off this year, so I dont know if I'll be back.
I recognized the rock garden. I live about 20 minutes from there. I've never run any events there, just gone up and camped and fooled around. I do love that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #21 of 89 Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
That's a sweet set of parts coming. I'll be doing control arms soon and like the RK stuff. I'd like to see some install pics and get your opinion of them once they are installed.
I will post pics of the work in progress............ As soon as everything is in, I'm ready to get started!
post #22 of 89 Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schubbie View Post
I recognized the rock garden. I live about 20 minutes from there. I've never run any events there, just gone up and camped and fooled around. I do love that place.

Yup, that rock garden is a blast..... This was the first year I was able to crawl the garden in both directions with out a spotter! 4 wheel steer makes the rocks much much easier!
post #23 of 89 Old 07-10-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I didn't do much last week cuz I had my brother and my 2 sisters down from out of state along with the 7 nieces and nephews... It was a great week!!

But back on target now. My axle came in Thursday, I got it all cleaned up and painted, and got the old one off of my jeep. Now all I need is the parts from Krawloffroad and I will have my jeep put back together.

I am still going to need some parts such as: sway bark disco's, shocks, seat covers, and what ever else that I'm not thinking of.....

Special thanks to redX08 for hooking me up with the housing..... I appreciate it!

Here is some pics of a D30 getting dolled up... Sand blasted it and painted it... prolly more work than a d30 should ever get, but oh well.....lol

post #24 of 89 Old 07-11-2011, 04:22 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looking good buddy. I am glad to see this back on track. Your order shipped last week. I emaild you the tracking number. So, the big truck should roll up soon!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #25 of 89 Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Looking good buddy. I am glad to see this back on track. Your order shipped last week. I emaild you the tracking number. So, the big truck should roll up soon!!

-Jason

Sweeeeeeeet!!! I just checked my e-mails for the first time since last friday, and yep, it's there.... I got the tracking number! I can't wait to get these parts! Thanks Jason!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode