upgrading Brakes. Which one?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
upgrading Brakes. Which one??

I would like to upgrade the disk brakes on my JK. Couple specs for consideration: D44 axels, 5:38 gears, automatic, 38X14.5 MTR's. I am looking for a brake that can handle steep inclines and declines. I dont drive on the freeway that much, mostly around town.

What aftermarket brakes are you using? What's a good one to use and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Rebel Off Road rear double drilled & slotted rotors.

They work well.

Will do them on the fronts soon.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Definitely check out the Rebel Offroad brake systems.

The people using them say that they feel an increase in braking power of up to 40%. They are a complete bolt on replacement and will help your brake system stay 150 to 200 degrees cooler than factory.

Besides that, we sell em! LOL!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Is it wish to replace the factory Master Cylinder with a larger one?
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Rock God

Another vote for the Rebel systems. My rear brakes are about crapped out and I'm planning to give Marcus a call this coming week to place an order

2007 JK Unlimited Steel Blue
For all your days prepare and meet them ever alike
post #6 of 14 Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Granite Guru

I bought the Teraflex big brake kit w/the new master cylinder. The calipers are dual piston and really make a difference. Only rub is the pedal feel ..... it sucks! I expected when you push the pedal there would be a firm progressive feel. NOT the case. Definitely stops hard, just not the pedal feel I would expect. If you are stopped and holding down the pedal, you can push it to the floor, again not what I expected. Otherwise on 37's the brakes will put you through the windshield if you stab the pedal at 30 mph.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoyeti View Post
I bought the Teraflex big brake kit w/the new master cylinder. The calipers are dual piston and really make a difference. Only rub is the pedal feel ..... it sucks! I expected when you push the pedal there would be a firm progressive feel. NOT the case. Definitely stops hard, just not the pedal feel I would expect. If you are stopped and holding down the pedal, you can push it to the floor, again not what I expected. Otherwise on 37's the brakes will put you through the windshield if you stab the pedal at 30 mph.
I was going to go with Teraflex new master cylinder. So
the pedal feel is soft?
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am going to be upgrading mine in the near future and will be going with the Rebel setup.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoyeti View Post
Did u upgrade the master cylinder? I had the soft pedal until I upgraded the master and now it feels wonderful.

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #10 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyguy View Post
Did u upgrade the master cylinder? I had the soft pedal until I upgraded the master and now it feels wonderful.
Yes I did the master cylinder upgrade. I have bled it 3 times now because I was thinking it felt like air in the line. The last two times zero bubbles, so unless there is air trapped in the caliper somewhere I think I have done everything I can. I guess you get used to it, and it does stop like a mother F'er, actually causes the front end to dive, not bad, but it does dive.

I bought new pads for the back, but I'm going to put in new rotors at the same time and they haven't got here yet.

'08 Rubi Unlimited - a few mods. (sold)
post #11 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I would like to upgrade the disk brakes on my JK. Couple specs for consideration: D44 axels, 5:38 gears, automatic, 38X14.5 MTR's. I am looking for a brake that can handle steep inclines and declines. I dont drive on the freeway that much, mostly around town.

What aftermarket brakes are you using? What's a good one to use and why?
Please tell me you found a place to get those 38" MT/R's now. I figure you've had them for a while, but if not and you know where I can get them... please tell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Another vote here for the TeraFlex kit. The upgrade Master helps with any brake upgrade! It is a great feeling knowing that when you need to stop fast that you will have the power to make that happen! Its not like we are trying to stop a little Honda here...

Let us know if you have any questions about the TF setup. We are happy to help!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #13 of 14 Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Please tell me you found a place to get those 38" MT/R's now. I figure you've had them for a while, but if not and you know where I can get them... please tell...
The best price I found was on Tirebuyer.com, however when I had Teraflex do the suspension lift, I had them do the tires. They matched the price online.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Definitely check out the Rebel Offroad brake systems.

The people using them say that they feel an increase in braking power of up to 40%. They are a complete bolt on replacement and will help your brake system stay 150 to 200 degrees cooler than factory.

Marcus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My upgrade to REBEL at all four corners + Crown Brake Lines + quality fluid
was suggested by forum members over a year ago........... I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode