Just dropped the Jeep off to get some work done... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Just dropped the Jeep off to get some work done...

So i'm finally getting my gears done! 5.13's for the 35's that i bought of Marcus. While it's in i'm having detroit tru-tracs put in front and rear, getting the 30 sleeved and replacing front axel shafts with Ten Factory alloy shafts.

The only bummer is that after dropping all of the coin, it's going to look exactly the same as when i dropped it off, but i can't wait to see driving difference with the gear change.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It will make a huge difference. Just be sure to get a programmer, if you don't have one already, to recalibrate the gear ratio and tire size.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
It will make a huge difference. Just be sure to get a programmer, if you don't have one already, to recalibrate the gear ratio and tire size.
Yeah, the Diablo Preadtor is warming up now.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

Okay....help out the less knowledgeable. I thought the point of sleeving the front was because of the weaker axles. If you go with alloy axles, wouldn't they already be much stronger? I'd think the stock rears would then be weaker than the front. Or is the HOUSING what is strengthened with sleeving? Thanks for any info as I was thinking of what to do to strengthen my front end.

It does hurt to spend a bunch of money on stuff you can't see much less know if you've ever needed it, huh? I'm going to be feeling the same pain soon when I do a gear swap and front locker.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
Or is the HOUSING what is strengthened with sleeving?
Yes. You're confusing axle housing/tubes with the axle shafts themselves.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
So i'm finally getting my gears done! 5.13's for the 35's that i bought of Marcus. While it's in i'm having detroit tru-tracs put in front and rear, getting the 30 sleeved and replacing front axel shafts with Ten Factory alloy shafts.

The only bummer is that after dropping all of the coin, it's going to look exactly the same as when i dropped it off, but i can't wait to see driving difference with the gear change.
how much is everything after it's said and done, labor, parts, install?

i just dropped the same coin in mine. i went 513's, 37's, arb front and rear, sleeves, and gussets.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #7 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
how much is everything after it's said and done, labor, parts, install?

i just dropped the same coin in mine. i went 513's, 37's, arb front and rear, sleeves, and gussets.
Gears, Truetracs Front and Rear, Sleeve and gusset front, axel swap is right at $4k.

Gears $900 Total
Truetracs $1k + Labor
Axels $600 + labor
Sleeve and Gusset around $350 i think + labor

He was cheaper that the other folks i talked to, one of which didn't even want to talk to me unless i dropping $10k on a D60 upgrade to run 35's on my D30.

When i get it back i'm swapping drive shafts and should be good on upgrades for quite some time. Though i still need to find the time to put those damn Ripp headers in.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Gears, Truetracs Front and Rear, Sleeve and gusset front, axel swap is right at $4k.

Gears $900 Total
Truetracs $1k + Labor
Axels $600 + labor
Sleeve and Gusset around $350 i think + labor

He was cheaper that the other folks i talked to, one of which didn't even want to talk to me unless i dropping $10k on a D60 upgrade to run 35's on my D30.

When i get it back i'm swapping drive shafts and should be good on upgrades for quite some time. Though i still need to find the time to put those damn Ripp headers in.
good deal! mine was near 4k as well.

it's funny all the money spent on the goodies isn't noticable from the outside. i know you mentioned that earlier and I felt the exact same way .

what lift do you have? just asking because you mentioned drive shaft(s)...

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #9 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Where did you have the work done?

Marcus

post #10 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

249 Drivetrain.

I talked to a couple of other places, one was higher, and other didn't want to talk to me unless I was dropping $10k on d60's

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!

post #11 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Granite Guru

Did you drop it off yesterday? How was traffic?

Did you get shot at driving through the hood?

This will be better than any visible mod you can do, I promise!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
249 Drivetrain.

I talked to a couple of other places, one was higher, and other didn't want to talk to me unless I was dropping $10k on d60's

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!
Nice!

Let me know how things turn out. I need an excuse to go to Houston.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
good deal! mine was near 4k as well.

it's funny all the money spent on the goodies isn't noticable from the outside. i know you mentioned that earlier and I felt the exact same way .

what lift do you have? just asking because you mentioned drive shaft(s)...
3.5" RK X-Factor...Chef Recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve578 View Post
Did you drop it off yesterday? How was traffic?

Did you get shot at driving through the hood?

This will be better than any visible mod you can do, I promise!
Shoot, that ain't no hood...i grew up in Channelview...it just looks like home.

Maybe he'll paint the front axel so it at least looks a little different. Anyway, i sold my old tire/wheels. That money is going to go to a OR Fab tire carrier/jerry can holder/highlift jack mount and a matching spare.

I'll be getting back with you in a couple of days Marcus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode