Full Traction 3" Economy Lift...Any JKU's running this? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Full Traction 3" Economy Lift...Any JKU's running this?

So I've been looking at lifts and the Full Traction 3" Economy Lift is one of the ones I'm considering. I would like to hear from some people especially with JKUs that are running this. Did you have to make any other modifacations besides the lift itself? How has it affected your driveline? What's the ride like as compared to stock.

Here's a link:

http://www.fulltraction.com/detail.p...TID=416&NOTES=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Not going to get a lot of positive responses around here about Full Traction. I know you didn't ask for advice on other manufactures but, take a look at Rock Krawler and Synergy Suspension.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

I don't know anything good or bad about that lift, but I have this one and love it.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3.html

2008 X Unlimited
3.25 Rough Country lift
305-70/16 Mickry Thompson MTZ
10,000# Engo winch

Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be. - John Wayne..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks, i'll look into all of them. i welcome suggestions. I'm looking for a 2.5 to 3" lift. i wanna run 35's without rubbing if possible.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM
JKowners Vendor

Okay, then for suggestions, look at Rock Krawler, Synergy Suspension, and TeraFlex. All great companies with good reputations. Each of these offer a great starting point to where you can build the lift down the road and add to it as you see fit. With each of these as well, running 35's will not be problem!

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #6 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. I've been looking at Teraflex for awhile now. I'm also consider Rough Country. Rock Crawler and Synergy look like they might be a little out of my budget, but I'm still considering them. My main concern is what happens after the lift is installed. I want to avoid any surprise driveline or suspension component failures. I am planning to run 35's, so as I understand it, a 2.5" lift will work, but may rub, and a 3" inch lift should clear them. I guess the problem is that the higher I go, the more it will affect other driveline/steering/suspension components.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post
Thanks. I've been looking at Teraflex for awhile now. I'm also consider Rough Country. Rock Crawler and Synergy look like they might be a little out of my budget, but I'm still considering them. My main concern is what happens after the lift is installed. I want to avoid any surprise driveline or suspension component failures. I am planning to run 35's, so as I understand it, a 2.5" lift will work, but may rub, and a 3" inch lift should clear them. I guess the problem is that the higher I go, the more it will affect other driveline/steering/suspension components.
I did the RK 2.5" stock mod with fancy rancho RS9000xl shocks and teraflex bumpstops for mid 700's shipped (that's an approximation on price, i can't remember exactly) from Bustabizz on here. He did free shipping and nobody could touch his price on stuff.

Bilstein 5100's were 20 bucks cheaper overall, but i wanted adjustable.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #8 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I'll always push people away from Rough Country- every single thing of theirs that I've worked with has failed or rusted. Their shocks start leaking if you look at them funny, everything seems to rust after one winter up here, and their springs sag if you hit a speedbump.

Being that you're from snow country too, I'd say stay away from Teraflex and Rough Country. TF is great if you don't get salt and sand on your roads, but I've seen nothing but problems with their bushings after winter.

On the other hand, my Rock Krawler stuff was definitely more coin, but has held up like a champ. Spray-lube the end links and Krawler joints, and they'll last forever. Worst case, if one does seize from lack of love, they're a great company to deal with. The fact that they're only an hour north of me helps, so I just stop in for bits as needed They also support this forum, and actively post up on here. I will also HIGHLY recommend the Bilstein 5100 shocks- a bit more expensive than some, but worth every penny- they let the JK ride AND handle like a champ, even with 35" KM2's on mine! Amazing- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #9 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
2.5 BB Teraflex

I have a 2.5 Teraflex BB with 295/70 r17 trail graplers(spelling) that are a true 33.6 inch tire. I just came back last night from the badlands in Attica, IN. I took off both front and rear sway bars and I had no rubbing at all. Depending on what tire and rim you are going to run, true tire size will vary. If I could do it again, I should of bought a entry level kit instead of a BB.

Just my .02
post #10 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TETZ View Post
I have a 2.5 Teraflex BB with 295/70 r17 trail graplers(spelling) that are a true 33.6 inch tire. I just came back last night from the badlands in Attica, IN. I took off both front and rear sway bars and I had no rubbing at all. Depending on what tire and rim you are going to run, true tire size will vary. If I could do it again, I should of bought a entry level kit instead of a BB.

Just my .02
good info. but why would you take off the rear sway bar? you don't actually get any more articulation, do you?

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #11 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Rock God

on the driveshafts, anytime you go over 3" you'll be straining your drivelines and it will have to be addressed sooner or later. the key beneficaries to failing drivelines tend to be, lift height, longer shocks (long travel shocks), disconnecting while off roading, and frequency of off roading.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #12 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
good info. but why would you take off the rear sway bar? you don't actually get any more articulation, do you?
Sometimes you do at the cost of stability... That also depends on your setup. I ran no swaybars on my Tj for years

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #13 of 36 Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Yes you do, you can actually test the difference on an RTI ramp. And with a well tuned set-up, the difference in handling is not even noticeable - even with soft coilover tuning. I have yet to see one person on this forum that has removed the rear SB on a JK and noticed a difference in handling. You do get more axle droop with coilovers or a long-travel set-up and better balanced flex on the trail, but you won't experience this with standard length shocks because the shocks will limit before the sway bar does.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 12:06 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Like these other guys have said, there are better options and they've all been mentioned here. No one is lying about Rough Country either. Been there done that even when I knew better a couple years ago. LOL Their budget boosts are a deal, but the coil lifts leave some to be desired.

If you're wanting to do it once and not have to mess with it again after adding bumpers and such then stick to a coil lift. You'll get a little extra height over what is advertised but you'll have room to squat with bumpers, winches, passengers, ect as time goes on.

With 2.5" of lift on a JK you can do pretty much anything. There are guys here with the 2.5" Max Travel from Rock Krawler running everything from stock 32s and 33s to 35s and even 37s like I have on mine.

For 35s I think that 2.5" lifts are the way to go. Plenty of added clearance for tires and obstacles, but not so big you have to throw your wife/girlfriend/sister/cousin/midget (JKristie) up into it to go to dinner either.

If you're having trouble searching for info on the forum type what you are looking for into Google and add "JKOwners" to the end of it.

Marcus

post #15 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Rock God

I dont have any experience with full traction on my rig, but i have seen plenty of their shit break on the trail (dont get me wrong if ya try hard enough you can break anything but theirs seems to break too easily).Go with a rock krawler 2.5 stock mod, plenty of room for the 35s, no worries about the driveline, and easily upgraded down the road when the funds are there. Plus Jeremy over at RK is a great guy top notch customer service. Good luck with your build.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #16 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Sometimes you do at the cost of stability... That also depends on your setup. I ran no swaybars on my Tj for years
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Yes you do, you can actually test the difference on an RTI ramp. And with a well tuned set-up, the difference in handling is not even noticeable - even with soft coilover tuning. I have yet to see one person on this forum that has removed the rear SB on a JK and noticed a difference in handling. You do get more axle droop with coilovers or a long-travel set-up and better balanced flex on the trail, but you won't experience this with standard length shocks because the shocks will limit before the sway bar does.
Wowa, interesting stuff. I Always thought that the rear sway bar flexed the rear suspensions to it's max articulation, assuming the bump stops wouldnt touch.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

post #17 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

^ Nope- a sway bar's job is technically to limit articulation. In most vehicles, it does. In a vehicle designed for any off-road use, you'll have rather long end links, which allow deflection, and reduce the limitation. Usually there is another factor, such as shock length or bump stops, that will limit articulation first. After you address these issues, as desert dog said, the sway bar will limit you.

For on-road use, I'd say leave it on- I disco'ed mine, and I certainly noticed a difference, but I drive my rig like I stole it. More body roll, and a less-responsive rear end (lazy butt syndrome ). I disconnect it off-road, and it does flex better. Since I still run OEM bump stops, I tend to hit the fenders a bit, but so it goes Mark W.

post #18 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post

Being that you're from snow country too, I'd say stay away from Teraflex and Rough Country. TF is great if you don't get salt and sand on your roads, but I've seen nothing but problems with their bushings after winter.
Sounds like you have a flex joint that doesn't want to take grease. It wouldn't be a bad idea to clean them out after all that exposure to salt and sand.

801-713-3314
post #19 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

As I said, my issue was BUSHINGS, not joints. The bushings come apart by spring. It's happened a few times now. I had the swaybar disco's and went through 3 sets of bushings before I went to RK's all-metal design. I've also had two of the TF steering dampers, and same thing- Mark W.

post #20 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the info guys. The RK stuff looks pretty sweet. A little more cash than I was hoping to spend, but I'm definately considering them. I'm also considering Teraflex, as a have a couple friends that have or have had them and are quite happy. The RC spacer lift is inviting mainly because of the price. If anyone else has anything to add, or suggestions please feel free.

Last edited by Rubichronic; 06-14-2011 at 09:10 PM.
post #21 of 36 Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 PM
JKO Addict!

I know it's pushing the $$ even higher, but the aluminum RK arms are great- I'm going to be swapping to all-aluminum ASAP- huge weight savings, and no rust- win at all levels! Mark W.

post #22 of 36 Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

My JKU came from the dealership('07) with a F/T 3" lift. It's a decent lift, if you dont plan to add bumpers, winch, or anything else. The springs ( especially the front srpings are way to soft for any additional weight. With in three months of buying my jeep I built a pretty heavy winch bumper w/ stinger and mounted a Ramsey 8k winch. This lowered the front by almost 2". I soon after replaced the front springs with 4" superlift springs(which is what is in it today).

Bottom line:
If you go with the Full traction, no, you wont be disapointed. How ever, know that if you add a winch, or a bumper to the front you will be replacing the front springs.
Also, go ahead and throw the trackbar relocation brackets in the trash and buy some adjustable trackbars from Teraflex and the Trackbar bracket braces!!! Also, I ditched the sway bar disco's that came with the lift pretty quick and went with Rubicon Express......

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 06-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

One more thing,
I have a buddy that is running the Zone 3" lift, and loves it.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=39&gr=-1

I think you can get them to package a deal with JKS swaybar QD for a reasonable price when buying their lift.
post #24 of 36 Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
My JKU came from the dealership('07) with a F/T 3" lift. It's a decent lift, if you dont plan to add bumpers, winch, or anything else. The springs ( especially the front srpings are way to soft for any additional weight. With in three months of buying my jeep I built a pretty heavy winch bumper w/ stinger and mounted a Ramsey 8k winch. This lowered the front by almost 2". I soon after replaced the front springs with 4" superlift springs(which is what is in it today).

Bottom line:
If you go with the Full traction, no, you wont be disapointed. How ever, know that if you add a winch, or a bumper to the front you will be replacing the front springs.
Also, go ahead and throw the trackbar relocation brackets in the trash and buy some adjustable trackbars from Teraflex and the Trackbar bracket braces!!! Also, I ditched the sway bar disco's that came with the lift pretty quick and went with Rubicon Express......
So, the front springs are junk, as are the TB brackets and disco's, but the lift is okay? Having a hard time following the logic there! If I bought a lift, and half the parts sucked, I'd call it Rough Country, I mean, garbage! Same thing, really FT has a bad rep on this forum partly for their association with the "other" forum, and partly because their stuff has often been junk. They've had bushing issues, spring issues, and JKF issues- that all totals up to garbage in my book.

Anyway, OP, there are tons of great lifts out there, and you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. Pony up the extra coin and get a premium lift by a reputable company- you'll never regret it! Mark W.

post #25 of 36 Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

Sir

From the sounds of it, our 2.5" Stock Mod system would be a great starting place for you component wise and budget wise! Good Luck with your build.

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode