What do ya think...will a Sport be ok? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What do ya think...will a Sport be ok?

Havenít had a jeep in years. But now I am targeting late summer to purchase a JKU. I feel prices may ease a bit in August or September on a left over 2011 plus the new Wranglers will be just about out then.

My heart was originally set on a Rubicon. But since I will be losing my job (I can retire but my salary will be reduced) it seems they are just too expensive. Even used ones are high.

So now I am thinking of an X and working from there. My stock Durango now gets me where I want to go...pretty much. Mostly wood/logging roads. Some are pretty steep. Some rocks (but not a challenging Rubicon trail), some mud and I will be taking it on the beach which will be a new type of wheeling for me.

Will the X be ok for my use considering it will have limited slip and BLD? I would add 35s for more differential clearance but would not need much additional body clearance. I would also regear. May get an auto. May get a manual. Not sure yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am on my second sport or X model and have been very happy with my Jeep. I do have some mods that make it more capable but really can do a lot with just a few mods. Look in my signature of my build and trail pics. If you think you need more than what I do on the trails please send me pics of your build. You will be very happy with the base model just how different the new Jeeps are to drive.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the response, Copperhead. I read your mod list in the past (took me two days ) I don't think my wheeling would be that agressive. Lockers would be nice and since I would def regear that would be the time to do it, I guess.

What's the feeling on installing one locker...and which axle would be the best one to lock? Assuming stock X axles 30/44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

You'll be fine with an X.

It is super easy and cheap to throw an aussie in the front 30 and it works really well but I'm not real big on locking the d30 on a big heavy unlimited. If you are getting an unlimited though I would seriously consider a detroit in the rear (if it is an automatic). With an automatic+the wheelbase of the JKU the detroit will be very tame once you get used to it.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there

Last edited by jgkjeep; 06-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
You'll be fine with an X.

With an automatic+the wheelbase of the JKU the detroit will be very tame once you get used to it.

I'm not clear on what I would need to get "used to"!
post #6 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what your bone stock JKU gets you through. I bought a Sahara in 09 and wheeled it a few times over in The Pines. Only things I've added were some lights - mainly cause they're cool and they were free - a 2.5" coil lift and some slightly bigger tires - I went from 255/70/R18 to 275/70R18. Not really a huge amount of modification, but it has done everything I've asked so far. I wheel like a soccer mom and have yet to find myself stuck.

That being said, I will be doing a snorkel at some point just because I've tempted fate one too many times in the pines to keep getting away with it.

One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you'll be hitting the beach. Might want to consider doing a POR15 treatment on the underbody to keep it nice and rust free.

just my .02

Good luck on your purchase.

post #7 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter View Post
I'm not clear on what I would need to get "used to"!
If you are on the throttle and turning sharp enough the locker can cause a tire to chirp or ratchet real loud ime. As long as you stay off the throttle during sharp turns though it is pretty much not noticeable.

I understand with a manual it is a little different.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #8 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Rock God

I've got an X and it handles just fine. Besides you can mod an X to be better than a Rubicon for less than Rubicon retail price, if you don't mind putting in the work yourself.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #9 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah...it's looking like an X for me. Mod it a bit at a time.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks
post #10 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had 3 vehicles with an auto locker in the rear diff and it's no big deal to get used too.At least it wasn't for me.The limited slip isn't too bad either.Not as good as a locker but I've never had a problem with one either.I don't like air or electric lockers in the rear dif at all.JMHO

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #11 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have an 07 X and I never have regretted it. The next gen dana 30 in our JKs is actually quite a bit stronger than many give it credit for. Paired with the 3.8L rocket-ship engine we have in the JKs, it works well. I have also modded my X a bit and I never would have been able to do the mods if I had spent all the money in buying a rubi. Although the dana 44, factory lockers, and 4:1 transfer case in the rubi are nice, the X/Sport is where the deals can be had.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #12 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
axe
Wheeler

I think the Sport is the way to go. I had the same dilemma last year and went with the 2010 Rubi, but for going to the Pines and driving on the beach I couldve just got a Sport. Got the Unlimited, (traded in pickup) and bought a trailer. Kinda wish now I just wouldve gotten a 2 dr Sport and a beater pickup truck. Looked at the 2011s today for the first time, found one open on the dealer lot - tempting. I know Id take it on the chin though.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Sport or X all the way for what you are looking for. Only concern I would have would be an auto with 35"s and 3.73 ratio. Others will state the same and some have been running it forever. Just depends on your perspective. Either way, enjoy the Jeep!

'08 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Steel Blue Metallic, Auto, 4.10, 33" BFG ATs, RE 2.5" BB, American Eagle Wheels
post #14 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
Sport or X all the way for what you are looking for. Only concern I would have would be an auto with 35"s and 3.73 ratio. Others will state the same and some have been running it forever. Just depends on your perspective. Either way, enjoy the Jeep!

I don't think they even come with 3.73s stock...just the 3.21s.

My first move would be to regear anyway.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at what your bone stock JKU gets you through. I wheel like a soccer mom and have yet to find myself stuck.

just my .02

Good luck on your purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #16 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Man I lucked out when I got my 2-door it came with 4.10 gears in the rear. I still couldn't use overdrive on the highway though so I put 5.13s in.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #17 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

My Sport Unlimited came with auto and 3:73s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
Man I lucked out when I got my 2-door it came with 4.10 gears in the rear. I still couldn't use overdrive on the highway though so I put 5.13s in.
2007? I hope you got 4:10s in the front too!

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #18 of 18 Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Get the X and don't look back.

I debated for a while before I bought my X. But ultimately decided that I could put the difference in price to better use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode