Mygig flip n lock? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Mygig flip n lock?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14127_1040_07.htm

Can anyone concur that this will fit over my mygig and actually protect it? Is it easy to install? How is it for rain? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

I have one and installed it. The instructions are pretty straight forward and takes about 30-60 min. I took my sweet time and it was about an hour. Mine was probably a bit easier since I didn't have factory gps (that was another step or two in the instructions). I don't know what mygig is since I obviously don't have it but my stereo protrudes out just a bit on the bottom. The images are accurate in that the cover has about .75" of depth to allow for knobs and such.

Once it's installed, it's pretty solid. Granted, there's a couple screws exposed on the side but to get to the stereo, they'll need about 4-5 min with power screwdriver. With a standard screwdriver it would be double that at least. Not many thieves would bother and it looks even more impenetrable than that anyway. For $100 I'm all for it. Love the piece of mind when I walk away with the doors off. Just make sure you line the top compartment with rubber shelf liner. That'll keep things from rattling or scratching sunglass frames, etc.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I have the mygig with nav in my 08. I've often thought about purchasing or fabricating something like that but and I get realistic. You put a locking device on there and it becomes obvious to the professional thief that something of value is in there. a good thief won't be carrying a screwdriver. he will have researched the mygig and will probably steal it and the housing using a sawsall and be out of your jeep in under 2 minutes. save your money for a better mod. if you're worried about rain, a piece of visqueen and some duct tape will work fine and it's probably more waterproof than quadratec's device. my .02 good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

well, i don't have one and can't answer any of your questions but i think i would get sick of unlocking my head unit every time i got in my jeep. the inconvenience would far outweigh the possible savings.

yes, it's a magnet for thieves..."oooo! i gotta have what's under there!" but most thieves will pick the easiest target. they don't want to dork around with that. if they want it bad enough, and are "good," they'll take the entire rig back to their shop and chop the whole thing.

Remus ~ 2009 JKU Rubicon

No longer stock.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Take a look:

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...ht=tuffy+mygig

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have the doors on my 09 but the tops off. I don't really go anywhere for longer than 30 minutes but I know that's long enough for someone to steal it. I love the mygig but hate the security factor. I'm still debating on whether or not to buy it.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Granite Guru

Well, let's not expect miracles. It's still connected to a plastic dash. In that thread he mentions he was parked at his office. I'd bet they already knew what was underneath, especially with the coincidence the stereo was new.

Later in that thread, a quote from the author/victim: "So i will not say, "Don't buy a Tuffy, it doesn't work..." in fact in retrospect and now that i have calmed a notch... I say rush out and buy a Tuffy, Flip-n-Lock, glove box or console"

I've been in law enforcement my entire life. I absolutely know that it won't stop some thieves. However, I also know it WILL stop some thieves. It might be a beacon to something valuable but it's better than leaving it exposed. I live in a pretty crappy city (due to work) and take my doors off often. I'm pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth. If I was that worried, I'd have an expensive alarm with proximity sensor, pager, etc, etc. Instead, I went with a $100 deterrent and a low deductible. Then again, I lock my factory console and glove box, too. Ha!! Ha!! At least the insurance company won't say I didn't try to secure my valuables.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.

Last edited by diver_matt; 06-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver_matt View Post
Well, let's not expect miracles. It's still connected to a plastic dash. In that thread he mentions he was parked at his office. I'd bet they already knew what was underneath, especially with the coincidence the stereo was new.

Later in that thread, a quote from the author/victim: "So i will not say, "Don't buy a Tuffy, it doesn't work..." in fact in retrospect and now that i have calmed a notch... I say rush out and buy a Tuffy, Flip-n-Lock, glove box or console"

I've been in law enforcement my entire life. I absolutely know that it won't stop some thieves. However, I also know it WILL stop some thieves. It might be a beacon to something valuable but it's better than leaving it exposed. I live in a pretty crappy city (due to work) and take my doors off often. I'm pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth. If I was that worried, I'd have an expensive alarm with proximity sensor, pager, etc, etc. Instead, I went with a $100 deterrent and a low deductible. Then again, I lock my factory console and glove box, too. Ha!! Ha!! At least the insurance company won't say I didn't try to secure my valuables.

I agree 100% ...and have Tuffy products (good piece of mind) ...I think that thread is just good info all around. Thanks for wearing the uniform brother!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 12 Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got some Tuffy product... Stereo cover is one of them... I know it won't stop everyone... I know it will stop most. I guess that why we also have insurance.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Rebumping this old thread because I just got my MyGig installed yesterday and was thinking about getting one of these since I'm about to put the half doors on for a while.

I dunno... I think the locking/unlocking would get REALLY old, but I did have another idea, the sort of "hide it in plain sight" concept. I still have my factory radio, what if I just shave the face off of that, put a big visible crack in the LCD, and attach it to a frame to snap over the Mygig? Anyone walking by would see a broken, crappy factory radio. Could make it just a pop on/pop off thing and throw it in the glove box...?
post #11 of 12 Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
Rebumping this old thread because I just got my MyGig installed yesterday and was thinking about getting one of these since I'm about to put the half doors on for a while.

I dunno... I think the locking/unlocking would get REALLY old, but I did have another idea, the sort of "hide it in plain sight" concept. I still have my factory radio, what if I just shave the face off of that, put a big visible crack in the LCD, and attach it to a frame to snap over the Mygig? Anyone walking by would see a broken, crappy factory radio. Could make it just a pop on/pop off thing and throw it in the glove box...?
Haha… That would probably work great. It's a shame that we have to waste time thinking up stuff like this just to keep scumbags from taking stuff we actually work for.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

The one problem with this Tuffy unit is that it will block your Sirius satellite receiver! At least that's what a lot of people have complained about on the web... I called Tuffy and they of course denied it. I've had to learn about security the hard way! If someone wants it they're going to take it. It seems to me anyway the harder you make it for them, the more they fuck your shit up!!! So if you put one of these on be aware that they just might fuck your dash up that much more. I've learned just to put my money in insurance instead.

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode