Squeeky Styrofoam like sound from deep in the dash - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Squeeky Styrofoam like sound from deep in the dash

I have this really annoying, high pitched squeek that sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together that is coming from deep in the dash. I have torn the dash apart and removed everything and had my wife drive me around while I had my head almost buried into and under the dash. I can't figure out where the noise is coming from. It almost seems like it is where the two heater/AC lines come thru the firewall, but damn those things get hot.

Here's another weird thing about the noise. It only happens if it is above 70 or 75 for an ambient temp. So when I took it to the dealer to have them look into it since it is still under warranty, they could not reproduce the problem at the time (that was last fall).

So I'm asking for help on if there are any known causes of this sound. If so, I'll look into it again myself. Otherwise I'll take it back to the dealer and let them worry about it....

Thank you kindly for any insight.

Greg

Currently own:
2010 JK Unlimited Sport (2" BB - that's all for now)
2008 Liberty Limited (stock -wife's)

Used to own:
2007 Nissan Xterra (stock)
2003 TJ Sahara (stock)
2002 Liberty Limited (stock)
2000 XJ Classic (Far from Stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Rock God

There have been a few threads on this. Mine has come and gone for about a year now, I can tell ya it's not the center console either I swapped mine for the tuffy and the noise stuck around. Mine seems to get worse when the under carriage is wet. General consensus so far is that it could be the gas tank rubbing the body and the sound being transferred to the front. I'm deffinatly subscribed to this thread hoping you find a solution.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #3 of 4 Old 06-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Just a thought, could it be the Great Stuff insulation that is in the rear fender/side walls? I'm not experiencing the noise, but was a bit surprised to see they used Great Stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Rock God

There is a thread somewhere. Seem to remember they traced it to the passenger side control arm bushings. Lube and gone.

Current Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode