Airbag sensors and after market bumpers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 09rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Airbag sensors and after market bumpers

So, after a discussion at work one day about airbag sensors my friend and I concluded that.... we diddn't know the answer. So.... where are the front airbag sensors? and how do you think the get affected by putting an aftermarket steel bumper on? Not that it's detering me from replacing my bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
So, after a discussion at work one day about airbag sensors my friend and I concluded that.... we diddn't know the answer. So.... where are the front airbag sensors? and how do you think the get affected by putting an aftermarket steel bumper on? Not that it's detering me from replacing my bumper.
I'm pretty sure there is no "Airbag Sensor" per say and that the system works on digital accelerometers.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
JKO Addict!

There are no sensors located in the bumpers of the JK. I know this from recently replacing my bumpers.
I believe I read somewhere that the sensors for the airbags are located somewhere in the dash. And like Hit said, I would imagine that they are some sort of accelerometers, and not actual 'sensors'.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

The airbags in the JK work off of an accelerometer that is located in the center of the vehicle under the center console. Specificaly the sensor works in conjunction with a yaw/pitch/roll sensor (same function as a gyroscope) that is co located. If the deceleration and pitch, roll or yaw of the vehicle hit certain thresholds the specific airbags and the seat belt pre-tensioning charge are deployed as needed. There are no "contact" style sensors located on the vehicle, it is all based on the two sensors located centrally. The pitch, roll, yaw sensor also feeds into the stability program.

The perpose of the bumpers in stock form is to deform over a given time (remeber we are talking 10thousandths of a second here) slowing the deceleration of the vehicle, in conjunction with the frame relief (crumple zones). By spreading the force of the impact over a few thousands of a second and a few inches of crumple space you can realisticaly reduce the peak G's in an accident by a factor of 10. Aftermarket bumpers in theory (with there overall lack of deformation) would cause your airbag to be more likley to go off than the stock set-up, but there are so many factors that feed the equation it is really hard pinpoint how much more likley it would be.

Example (basic as it may be, numbers are simply used for illistration):

If the airbag deploys in a frontal colision when the sensor detects 800 peak G:

Hitting an imovable object at 15mph with the factory set up may only generate 750 peak G

While hitting the same imovable object with an aftermarket (non deforming) bumper at 15mph may generate 1100 G

In this case the aftermarket bumper would cause your airbag to deploy where as the factory set up would not because the factory set up deformed to absorb the force of the impact.
stretch79 likes this.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 06-09-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

Wow! Great info buddy!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #6 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

^^ Very informative and factual post 09rubicon.

to you!

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #7 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
09rubicon Thanks

I've been thru this already. Thanks for an exact answer.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR !!!!

The Project is moving forward.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

BRAVO! I thought it was some kind of deceleration thingamagig, that was a great response. Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

09 rube is right on, and Budwiser did there cans in red white and blue with stars

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #10 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Wheeler

The '07 JKU has front impact sensors. They are covered in the service manual.

From the 2007 Service Manual:
Quote:
Two front impact sensors (1) are used on this vehicle, one each for the left and right sides of the vehicle. These sensors are mounted remotely from the impact sensor that is internal to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). Each front sensor is secured with a screw to the back of the front end module carrier on either side of the cooling module and inboard of the headlamp within the engine compartment.

The front impact sensors are electronic accelerometers that sense the rate of vehicle deceleration, which provides verification of the direction and severity of an impact. Each sensor also contains an electronic communication chip that allows the unit to communicate the sensor status as well as sensor fault information to the microprocessor in the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC).
post #11 of 11 Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun01 View Post
The '07 JKU has front impact sensors. They are covered in the service manual.

From the 2007 Service Manual:

Good to know, wonder if the 08 is the same? I know the 09 does not have the frontal sensors, neither does my new 11.

The above statement still stands true, the sensors are not impact sensors per se. They are decelerometers that measure deceleration to sense an impact.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 11-03-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode