researching the potential first 'lift' ever.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

researching the potential first 'lift' ever..

Guys, my JK is my daily driver, so sadly I can't jack it up and get all wicked with my mods.

However, I feel every Jeep should have SOME lift on it at least though. My JK is currently stock with the stock 16" rims on it.

What would one recommend just as a mild starter lift? Maybe just a body lift? And I also need to keep the cost down as I have ALOT of bills to get caught up on (just got a salary increase after enduring a layoff and 3 years at a job with a paycut, and then they went and froze THEIR salaries! Cripes.).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Definitely not a body lift. I've been running coil spacers for quite awhile now, off-roaded a bunch as well. Rough Country spacers seem to be the best bang for buck, with shock and brake line extensions the price is tough to beat. I even think they have a kit that comes with a rear track bar bracket and endlinks as well.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Just say no. Or rather hell no to body lifts!

Search teraflex budget boost.
2.5" spacer lift and be done

No reason not to responsibly mod a dd tho. Mines still my dd and it has a few things done to it

Scratched into the wall with a dead iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

x whatever on the BB, cheap and it will get you some lift to fit bigger tires, and its small enough not to mess anything else up

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post

No reason not to responsibly mod a dd tho. Mines still my dd and it has a few things done to it

Scratched into the wall with a dead iPhone.
That is great advice! You really need to NOT go the body lift route. For a lift, a nice Budget Boost is the way to go! You can get good gains from it and you can do it in a day in the driveway. That way, your not without your daily driver for a period of time.

There is also good start kits. These are a little more involved than a BB but it gives you room later to grow the kits or add to them as you see fit. Still budget minded and can still be installed in a day or so in the driveway.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let me know. Feel free to PM, email, or call!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #6 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

x5 on the Budget Boost (aka Spring Spacer) route.
Relatively cheap, and very easy way to get a little bit of lift.

I have been running the Rough Country BB with shock extensions for a while now. I like the fact that they use metal spring spacers, versus poly/rubber.
It is a great way to get some lift, until you decide on/can afford a full up suspension lift.

And ....... I am also running a Daystar 1" body lift ......... Another easy way to gain some lift. Aside from the gap created between the body and the bumpers (less noticeable with aftermarket bumpers), I don't see anything wrong with them.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I am interested in hearing the rationale behind the negative comments about BL's.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #7 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Rock God

With a body lift your jacking up the body on plastic blocks. Your giving your body leverage, so in the case of a front impact the whole body can move forward and snap of at the body mounts. That's worst case scenario of course, and not very likely with a one inch body lift but it is possible. Plus your not gaining much with a body lift besides a little room for bigger tires, why not just do a budget suspension lift and get some better off road capabilities.
I would never put a body lift on a jeep, a descent suspension lift is way to affordable.

I bought my jeep already lifted but it has a pretty inexpensive lift on it. Poly lift coils, 2.5 inch, and after market shocks.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awesome guys, many thanks for the tips! I've had my JK for 3 years and I'm still excited about doing stuff to it! WOOT!
post #9 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
With a body lift your jacking up the body on plastic blocks. Your giving your body leverage, so in the case of a front impact the whole body can move forward and snap of at the body mounts. That's worst case scenario of course, and not very likely with a one inch body lift but it is possible. Plus your not gaining much with a body lift besides a little room for bigger tires, why not just do a budget suspension lift and get some better off road capabilities.
I would never put a body lift on a jeep, a descent suspension lift is way to affordable.
I bought my jeep already lifted but it has a pretty inexpensive lift on it. Poly lift coils, 2.5 inch, and after market shocks.
In a severe collision, the added leverage could come into play. But you would have to be talking an extreme worst-case scenario impact/collision for the BL to snap off or the bolts to shear. Especially with a 1" BL. At that point, the damage to everything else on the vehicle would be so severe that the BL would be a moot point. With a lesser impact, I don't see a 1" BL coming into play at all. My .02.
Now, if you go with a 3" BL, I can see how that much leverage could lead to a failure in a collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notherone View Post
Awesome guys, many thanks for the tips! I've had my JK for 3 years and I'm still excited about doing stuff to it! WOOT!
3 years, and no lift yet? Get busy!!!

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing your research prior to modding.

Keep us posted on what you decide, and post pix of the JK when you get lifted!

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #10 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Depending on what tire size you're looking at, you can also do a Teraflex Leveling Kit.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-leveling-kit.html

You can run up to 34" tires with it (or 35's with flat fenders - which is my plan eventually).
post #11 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Depending on what tire size you're looking at, you can also do a Teraflex Leveling Kit.

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-leveling-kit.html

You can run up to 34" tires with it (or 35's with flat fenders - which is my plan eventually).
Interesting! This is much cheaper than the "budget boost" by over 300 bucks too. I wonder how much this actually lifts the vehicle?
post #12 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:

I noticed there are also Skyjacker kits out there. Anyone have any take on their stuff?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_100X_B_PG.htm

UPDATE: wow just read this thread and it appears there's no love here for the Skyjacker kit LOL

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31520

Last edited by notherone; 06-09-2011 at 11:20 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Another route you could go is the stock springs from a 4Dr Rubi. That'll boost a 2DR X up about an inch or more, then you add a few pucks for more space on your springs & really max it out for the money.

I ended up going with springs and shocks just because I really wanted em. Prolly would have been a ton cheaper, but now I have a beefier rear trackbar mount that's welded in place, a better front trackbar that's adjustable up to 5", discos that can run the same height and brakeline relos that will allow me to get pretty high without needing all new lines. I only wanted to boost it a bit, but knowing me, down the road... I will want MOAR.

Mine's a DD too.

post #14 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Another route you could go is the stock springs from a 4Dr Rubi. That'll boost a 2DR X up about an inch or more, then you add a few pucks for more space on your springs & really max it out for the money.

I ended up going with springs and shocks just because I really wanted em. Prolly would have been a ton cheaper, but now I have a beefier rear trackbar mount that's welded in place, a better front trackbar that's adjustable up to 5", discos that can run the same height and brakeline relos that will allow me to get pretty high without needing all new lines. I only wanted to boost it a bit, but knowing me, down the road... I will want MOAR.

Mine's a DD too.
Thanks for the tips- mine's actually a 4-door JKU, so I don't know if the springs on it are the same as the 4-door Rubi or not.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by notherone View Post
Interesting! This is much cheaper than the "budget boost" by over 300 bucks too. I wonder how much this actually lifts the vehicle?
the rough country budget boost is only $139 so it is only $6 cheaper and it also levels

Quote:
DISCLAIMER!!
Do this at your own risk!
Disabling such a monumental safety feature may cause you to be less safe in your lifted, modified, high COG vehicle!
Removal of a safety light may lead to:
Death, injury, dismemberment, alcohol allergy, constipation, hemorrhoids, anal leakage, an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, the extinction of several unrecognized rain forest species, a bent axle, an unbent axle or internet verbal assault by safety nazis
post #16 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

FWIW, I was in the same boat starting out (looking for a cheaper lift) and was going to go with a BB lift. I'm really glad I didn't though because I saved for a few months longer and went with the Rock Krawler Stock Mod, which is essentially a coil lift. I was thrilled with the ride quality, and it has allowed me to upgrade as my budget has allowed. I'm currently working toward a LCG rig running 37's and couldn't be happier. Just something to think about. Good luck whatever you do

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #17 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Look in the for sale sections and see if anyone is selling their stuff and save some money.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #18 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

RK 2.5" stock mod at $500 and you're good to go and build onto later ...just an opinion.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #19 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Rock God

notherone...my JK is a DD too and my future hope is to do a RK lift and 35's but for now need to keep it mild. I started off with the 16" steelies and 29" GY all seasons and kept that up for 1.5 yrs, did some wheelin with the stock set up, no rock crawling just some trails in the woods, a little mud, some steep inclines and the beach. All I did was install 3/4" leveling spacers, procomp 7069's and 32x10.5 Wrangler Duratracs...what a difference! And I did not spend a whole lot hopefully making it easier for me to justify the bigger tires and true coil spring lift later on.

before...

after....

It is not as aggressive as most of the forum members rigs but it works perfectly for what I need. It is nearly impossible to resist the desire to go big when reading posts and seeing all the photos of all the other JK's in this forum...

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #20 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I have personally installed several teraflex BBs, get the kit with the shock extenders if you want to save a few bucks,
their kit is complete - has sway bar links, bump stop extensions and brake line drop brackets, the quality is great and they work.
some of the super cheap kits are just 4 pucks
thats all
nothing to address the shocks, sway bars or brake lines, but they are cheaper.

the spacer lifts work great until you add a winch/steel bumper combo, then the front starts sagging because the stock springs arent up to the task.

body lifts, I just have no use for
they will let you run slightly larger tires, but you don't gain any ground clearance from the lift - adding an inch of suspension lift nets you the ground clearance from the lift AND the tires.
plus the gap looks funny, etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #21 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM
JKowners Vendor

Another note on the TF BB. They do have one that comes with new shocks as well. Little more on the price but a better start in the end...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #22 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
RK 2.5" stock mod at $500 and you're good to go and build onto later ...just an opinion.
Yep. Better to have something you can build on than have to scrap what you've done all together if you want to upgrade down the road.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #23 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Rock God

I love my Rough Country BB. I did a write up on it, if you want to see the before and after shots, plus some things i ran into along the way. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44624 Get the kit with the rear track bar relocator and you're set. To me the BB sets you apart from all the stock jeeps, helps the offroad performance, and gives you room for larger tires.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #24 of 28 Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran the Pro Comp BB lift, which included everything, for two years before I upgraded. I passed it on to a friend when I replaced the suspension.

If I had it to do all over again I would start with springs/shocks/bumps/ext brake lines from Poly - and build from there vs buying stuff twice.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Can you run the Rubi factory shocks with this kit and are there brake lines required?

2011 Rubicon: Call of Duty - Black Ops JKU
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode