Towing my JK Rubi on a tow dolly - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Towing my JK Rubi on a tow dolly

I may have the need to tow my Rubi for about 300 miles. I was wondering if I can put her on a tow dolly (with TC in N and manual tranny in gear as the owners manual says) or would I be better suited with a trailer?

I will be towing it with a Chevy Tahoe (tow package, boosted suspension).

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Hook it up. Be sure the straps go around the tires if they are bigger

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Check out your owner's manual. I am quite sure it says that you can NOT put on a tow dolly. You can either flat tow (4 wheels on the ground) or put it on a trailer.

Oh, and first post - w00t!

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadr View Post
Check out your owner's manual. I am quite sure it says that you can NOT put on a tow dolly. You can either flat tow (4 wheels on the ground) or put it on a trailer.

Oh, and first post - w00t!

This is all it says about dollys
Quote:
TOWING A DISABLED VEHICLE
The manufacturer recommends towing with all four
wheels OFF the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow
the vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of the vehicle
raised and the other end on a towing dolly

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I certainly can't speak to all years of JK, but I have had an 07, 08, and '11, and they have all pretty much said not to put on a dolly. I would refer to the manual for my year to the definitive answer. If you CAN raise one end and put the other on a dolly, as mentioned, that would be kind of like on a trailer, since all wheels would be off the ground.

I still contend that towing on a dolly - with two fronts off the ground and two rears rolling on the ground - would NOT be good.

The '11 manual says:

Caution!
* Do not attempt to use sling type equipment when towing. When securing the vehicle to a flat bed truck, do not attach to front or rear suspension components. Damage to your vehicle may result from improper towing.
* If the vehicle being towed requires steering. the ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN or ACC position, not the LOCK position.

Four–Wheel Drive Models

The manufacturer recommends towing with all wheels OFF the ground. Acceptable methods are to tow the vehicle on a flatbed or with one end of vehicle raised and the opposite end on a towing dolly

If flatbed equipment is not available, and the transfer case is operable, the vehicle may be towed (in the forward direction, with ALL wheels on the ground), IF the transfer case is in NEUTRAL and the transmission is in PARK (for automatic transmissions) or in gear (NOT in Neutral, for manual transmissions). Refer to “Recreational Towing” in “Starting and Operating” for detailed instructions

Caution!
* Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when towing.
* Failure to follow these towing methods could result in damage to the transmission and/or transfer case. Such damage is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #6 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
JKO Addict!

how much more is it to rent a trailer? i'd prefer a trailer over a dolly all day.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #7 of 11 Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Do this $139 bucks just finished loading it few hours ago..tow pig is 2010tahoeName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307594046.585902.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  41.7 KB

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 11 Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Wheeler

From the 2011 Wrangler Owner's Manual, page 469....

Quote:
RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle

Flat Tow
• Automatic transmission in PARK
• Manual transmission in gear (NOT in NEUTRAL (N)
• Transfer case in NEUTRAL (N)
• Tow in forward direction

Dolly Tow
Front NOT ALLOWED
Rear NOT ALLOWED

On Trailer ALL OK
Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Granite Guru

Bumping this from the dead.

Need to tow mine on a dolly. Can't see any issues with towing it this way. I have a 60 front with locking hubs and flat tow it all over the country with hubs unlocked. So it's not an oiling issue. The only thing I could think is they are worried about the tcase slipping into gear and could kill it but want be an issue for me with the hubs unlocked.

Thoughts.

78-79 hp 60, 5.38, spool, Reids, high steer
14 bolt, 5.38, Grizzly
37KM2s H2s "street" / 42 Iroks TR beadlocks "trail"
Redneck Ram
Ruff stuff steering
Hacked up Rubicon Express longarms
Welded on EVO corners
Hacked up JCR engine tranny skid
Trail Gear DIY sliders

BUILD THREAD

post #10 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Rock God

You can just disconnect the rear drive shaft and tow dolly it without issue. O'course I didn't tell you to do it if you puck it up!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by racker8wr View Post
Bumping this from the dead.

Need to tow mine on a dolly. Can't see any issues with towing it this way. I have a 60 front with locking hubs and flat tow it all over the country with hubs unlocked. So it's not an oiling issue. The only thing I could think is they are worried about the tcase slipping into gear and could kill it but want be an issue for me with the hubs unlocked.

Thoughts.
My thought is: Do it and tell us how it worked for you.
There are lots of people who have asked about doing this even though the owner's manual says not to.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode