Cheaper alternative than ORO tails? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cheaper alternative than ORO tails?

About to order River Raider full corners and sliders to begin comp cutting our ride and was wondering if there were any less expensive options than the ORO's that will fit in the RR corners.

Jeepless until:.....:....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

I don't see why truck lites won't work. Much cheaper and brighter! Get the bolt on type over standard rubber gasket.
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...0661&langId=-1

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...2130&langId=-1

ebay has great deals on them.

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 06-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you can also get security flange kits to hide the screw heads...
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...2144&langId=-1

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was wondering if truck lights would fit, don't have the specific dimensions of the holes in the RR corners.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Rock God

i also need some 4inch round lights for the evo armor.. i saw some 4 inch taillights at harbor freight that looked like they might work.. and i think they where around 20 bucks or so .. might give them a shot.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
I was wondering if truck lights would fit, don't have the specific dimensions of the holes in the RR corners.
once you find out what the hole size is just search for that size light on ebay if truck lites doesn't have them. there are tons of LED lights in all different sizes to be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
i also need some 4inch round lights for the evo armor.. i saw some 4 inch taillights at harbor freight that looked like they might work.. and i think they where around 20 bucks or so .. might give them a shot.
not sure the quality of harbor freight stuff... good for a shovel or a rake but not sure i'm totally set on hooking up electrical stuff of theirs to my rig.

i got mine on ebay. https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=29642&page=2

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 06-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Rock God

yeah I'm with ya on the harbor freight electronics.... I'm liking the clear tail lights you have .. how much did those cost you on ebay ?
post #8 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
yeah I'm with ya on the harbor freight electronics.... I'm liking the clear tail lights you have .. how much did those cost you on ebay ?

got my tail lights from...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...Q5fAccessories

got my reverse lights from...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Whi...ltDomainQ5f100

post #9 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the OROs but am interested in an alternative if/when these shit the bed. I saw a set last weekend that half of the leds were burnt out in and it pissed me off. I think he has only had them on for two years.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Rock God

awesome ..thanks man.. did you have to use a resistor to keep them from blinking ?

Last edited by block; 06-06-2011 at 06:03 PM.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I have the OROs but am interested in an alternative if/when these shit the bed. I saw a set last weekend that half of the leds were burnt out in and it pissed me off. I think he has only had them on for two years.
OP... Ron should be able to tell you the size of the ORO so you can gauge a possible truck lites measurement.

Quote:
awesome ..thanks man.. did you have to use a diode to keep them from blinking ?
i didn't bother.. but yes you will want a resistor. i got use to the fast blink.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Rock God

oh yeah thats it a resistor...lol.. so yours just blink really fast when you put on your brakes ?
post #13 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
oh yeah thats it a resistor...lol.. so yours just blink really fast when you put on your breaks ?
no no no... brakes are fine. just when i put on a turn signal they give 2 or 3 normal blinks and then blink fast.

post #14 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

first off.. I understand that they (ORO) has a 2nd gen light on the market that is supposed to be better but for that kind of money you can buy a shitload of truck lights.... I like my OROs and will be just fine if they last but that remains to be seen.

The resistor thing is a bit of a story.... I put the Recon LED turns up front with the cheap-o resistors. When I added the OROs I used the PSC resistors on both OROs and now one side is good to go and the other side fast blinks after it heats up - I just need to upgrade the resistor on the passenger side - front and I *think* I will be good to go but don't have a lot of faith after discussing with ORO through Marcos. It doesn't bother me enough to get off my ass and fix... not yet anyway.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
no no no... brakes are fine. just when i put on a turn signal they give 2 or 3 normal blinks and then blink fast.
cool that dosent seem like a big deal.. i really like the look of the ones you have.. thanks for the info !
post #16 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
first off.. I understand that they (ORO) has a 2nd gen light on the market that is supposed to be better but for that kind of money you can buy a shitload of truck lights.
my thoughts exactly. and not sure how durable the ORO lights are but I beat the shit outta my tail lights and they haven't even cracked a housing.

Quote:
cool that dosent seem like a big deal.. i really like the look of the ones you have.. thanks for the info !
no prob

post #17 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
OP... Ron should be able to tell you the size of the ORO so you can gauge a possible truck lites measurement.

i didn't bother.. but yes you will want a resistor. i got use to the fast blink.
Hey Ron, could you by chance give me the measurement of the tailight holes on the corners?

Thanks

post #18 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
Hey Ron, could you by chance give me the measurement of the tailight holes on the corners?

Thanks
The ORO is 5" but the "hole" is not a straight hole like you could use the push in style truck lights in. This photo isn't the best but will give you an idea as to what I am talking about. I have not seen a light that will be a direct replacement but really have not looked all that hard. 4x4loyr made the swap to truck lights with the RROR corners.... LINK

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 06-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So the armor hole is 5" or a little bigger, and the armor light can is simply that... a light can with a blank back (not passthrough in other words).

So you can holesaw a 4" hole and run 4" truck lites couldn't you? Would probably cut into the JK body itself but that's the same as any armor which you are covering up anyways.

edit... exactly what I thought...

I would just holesaw a 4" hole and run truck lites and then drink a cold beer. Or Kenny may be able to do this for you prior to ordering and then all you have to do is drink the cold beer.

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 06-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

4x4L cut a 4.5" hole for his lights.... tuned out pretty good and got him out of a ticket (sorta)

post #21 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru

Trucklites need a 4.5" hole on a flat piece of material. They also make an electronic flasher you can buy so you dont have to use those resistors. Grote makes an electronic flasher also.

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #22 of 22 Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Another thought - check to see if your state requires side marker lights - the trucker lights do not address this, it may mean that you need to place a marker light (red) on the rear facing the side.

Just something to check.

On edit - a quick search (not verified) resulted in this from the MS vehicle code:

"SEC. 63-7-25. Visibility of clearance, side-marker, and tail lamps.

Clearance, side-marker, and tail lamps shall, when lighted, be capable of being seen at a distance of five hundred feet under normal atmospheric conditions during the time when lights are required. The light from front clearance lamps shall be visible to the front, from side-marker lamps to the side, and from rear clearance and tail lamps to the rear, of the motor vehicle.

SOURCES: Codes, 1942, Sec. 8229-05; Laws, 1948, ch. 343, Sec. 13"

Basically side markers lamps are used so side street traffic knows the length of the vehicle at night. That is the reason for amber up front and red in the rear...

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 06-06-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode