Will The 2011 JK Be The Red Headed Step Child Of The Family? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Will The 2011 JK Be The Red Headed Step Child Of The Family?

The 2007 to 2010 are virtually the same rig.. there were some minor headaches for suspension manufactures with the movement of the catalytic converters.. experienced this with Jenna's 2010.. but in general they are all the same rig.

2011 brought major changes.. if you notice the programming manufacturers have yet to come out with a 2011 programmer.. the interior is completely changed so as of yet you can't get a tuffy flip-n-lock or other interior type mods that were made for the 07-10 interiors. You can't get a sport cage either that i know of for the 11 as the dash has changed so much... the cats also moved once again..

2012 will bring some more major changes.. talk of a different windshield rake which will change the interior again, it is going to have a different engine which will require suspension companies to re-engineer once again... again, Superchips, Diablo Sport, Hypertech, etc will all have to re-engineer for the new engine.

My point is that why would the aftermarket companies spend time re-enginnering their product or in worst case scenario totally redesign their product or come out with new product for an exclusive model made in one year.. 2011.?

A prime example would be something like a sport cage.. If you can't put a 07 thru 10 sport cage in a 2011 and the windshield rake is going to change for 2012 which would change the sport cage's design... why would a company come to market with a 2011 only sport cage??

Just something to ponder.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Interesting thoughts dude!

post #3 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

I know Rock Hard 4x4 has their Ultimate Sports Cage for the 2011 already in production, and really the only other issues we saw with the 2011 were the cat relocation. Well, that and the oil pan skid... and the lower dash panel, and....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

Excellent points. I know if I was developing something for my business I would not put the time and research into for the small number of 2011's on the market.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #5 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

those who just bought 2011's are kicking themselves, and are probably pondering kicking you lol!

personally i think it just creates an interesting challenge. to come up with a way to essentially "mass produce" "custom fabrications"

if a company is able to create and produce products that will work for the 11, and that is the only year it will work for, without sacrificing product durability, craftsmanship, or product integrity, then good on them. sounds to me like they are one helluva company that is well on their feet and really knows what they are doing...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #6 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Talk about a double whammy....first the people that didn't know about the 2012s will miss the Pentastar and improved auto transmission (hey, the Pentastar is no prize, but compared to the 3.8....fuggedaboudit). Then they realize ROI from their favorite mfgs isn't great enough to develop the aftermarket for their Jeep. That brings the suck.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'd say with around 100,000 of 2011's produced, it wouldn't be a waste of time. There were only about 50,000 LJ's produced and there's a decent after market for them.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #8 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
I'd say with around 100,000 of 2011's produced, it wouldn't be a waste of time. There were only about 50,000 LJ's produced and there's a decent after market for them.
LJ's comparatively though are an easy change, the whole cabin is the same as the TJ, just length added for the suspension and a few minor changes. Nothing close to the change from the 2010-2011 years.
post #9 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Yep, it'll be a redheaded stepchild to a certain extent.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludge Puppy View Post
LJ's comparatively though are an easy change, the whole cabin is the same as the TJ, just length added for the suspension and a few minor changes. Nothing close to the change from the 2010-2011 years.
True. But there are still LJ specific parts out there. Just saying with ~100,000 vehicles there is plenty of market potential.

post #11 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yep, it'll be a redheaded stepchild to a certain extent.
with that much said tho, we could easily see something different in 2013...

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

post #12 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

It'll be like the 2003 TJ that underwent the same thing. My guess is that manufacturers will try to tweak what they already have produced for the 07-10's or what they develop for the +12's to fit for the '11. If they can't do that within a reasonable budget I'm thinking the '11 is just gonna kinda fall by the wayside for aftermarket options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Your close

http://jptrails.com/archives/905

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #14 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks like the 11 people, will be going to small custom shops to get there parts fabed up. Not good for the buyers but good for the small local shops. Think I might look into a pipe bender and welder, ha ha.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #15 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Looks like the 11 people, will be going to small custom shops to get there parts fabed up. Not good for the buyers but good for the small local shops. Think I might look into a pipe bender and welder, ha ha.
I was thinking the same thing. If the major aftermarket companies don't want to invest in the '11 then maybe I should open a 2011 Wrangler specific business. Maybe I have finally found my niche!

post #16 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nay, it takes rectangle headlights to make it a red-headed step child....

/

post #17 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
The 2007 to 2010 are virtually the same rig.. there were some minor headaches for suspension manufactures with the movement of the catalytic converters.. experienced this with Jenna's 2010.. but in general they are all the same rig.

2011 brought major changes.. if you notice the programming manufacturers have yet to come out with a 2011 programmer.. the interior is completely changed so as of yet you can't get a tuffy flip-n-lock or other interior type mods that were made for the 07-10 interiors. You can't get a sport cage either that i know of for the 11 as the dash has changed so much... the cats also moved once again..

2012 will bring some more major changes.. talk of a different windshield rake which will change the interior again, it is going to have a different engine which will require suspension companies to re-engineer once again... again, Superchips, Diablo Sport, Hypertech, etc will all have to re-engineer for the new engine.

My point is that why would the aftermarket companies spend time re-enginnering their product or in worst case scenario totally redesign their product or come out with new product for an exclusive model made in one year.. 2011.?

A prime example would be something like a sport cage.. If you can't put a 07 thru 10 sport cage in a 2011 and the windshield rake is going to change for 2012 which would change the sport cage's design... why would a company come to market with a 2011 only sport cage??

SSSSHHHHHHHH!!! Maybe if nobody says anything they'll make stuff for 11's like mine!!!

I personally like my '11- it has the straighter windshield of the 07-10 and a sexy newer interior! I will have to see a '12 to make sure but, I think I will end up being happier with the body shape of my '11. MANY parts interchange back and forth anyway (07-11) so, I don't think it will be too bad!

IF I had waited for a '12, I wouldn't have bought one until '14- with the HUGE amount of drivetrain changes coming, I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig! Any big change in a given model I always avoid for a couple years to allow the bugs to be worked out of the redesign. The '11 changes were not huge and I much prefer the interior so, I bought one. (PLUS at the time that I drove my '11 I didn't even know anything had been changed since I had never seen the interior of a JK before, LOL!)
post #18 of 38 Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
trw
Granite Guru

or, the '11 could become the four leaf clover of Jeep, if the pentastar flops or the '12 exterior changes are butt ugly (doubt it, but just wishful thinking )

well, for those who want the newer interior anyway.

2011 JK, made the year before we all die, warranty be damned.
post #19 of 38 Old 06-07-2011, 04:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

The cage is the only thing I've come across that may be a little different, but if you look at the dash profile from the side they are pretty close. I think the poly cage would work and rockhard makes a bolt in cage bar. It doesn't really matter to me as I'd get a through the dash cage from a local builder regardless of year.

I haven't had any trouble spending money on my '11 yet. With the crazy money companies want for JK parts I could almost have whatever I wanted custom fabbed for the same price anyway.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Awwww man, why'd you have to go and say something like that???

Thought there are changes, any aftermarket company would be leaving 20% of the current production JKs off the table for $$. Granted there would be some refactoring costs impacting margins, but not as sufficient as a complete redesign, and certainly enough coin nt to leave on the table.

Then again, what do I know; I don't make parts. LOL

There is a chance the 2012s will reuse some interior components.

What would be even scarier to me is if Chrysler spent the $$ on retooling for one year then made a drastic course correction with the 2012. I would raise an eyebrow at the R&D, time to market, and overall quality & reliability.

It doesn't make sense to consciously change the 2011 knowing the 2012 changes were coming..

I doubt a focus group of 2,500 people said I would buy a 2011 if only u changed the interior and moved the cat...

My big question: Will the 2012 have the cool 2011 windshield with the little Jeep on it?

Good thread!!

Steve

2011 Rubicon: Call of Duty - Black Ops JKU
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...

post #21 of 38 Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

I would guess most of the interior from 2011 will go into 2012. Without seeing the new body design (has it been confirmed?) it's hard to say why they would change just one production year. That's a lot of expensive dies, molds, etc for one model year run. You usually want to spread those costs over a greater amount of time. My ass sure likes the 2011 leather heated seats though
post #22 of 38 Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Wheeler

Talking about jeep stepchilds, I used to have a square eyed daughter, she was born in 1990. Damn thing didn't even have power steering. Now I have my '11. I just can't win. Ah the hell with it, guess my new bender and welder will come in handy then.
post #23 of 38 Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Coonasian

Garage

I gave up trying to second guess auto companies years ago. If you like it, buy it! In the worse case, it will be a great opportunity for some company to take advantage of. Don't worry, be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #24 of 38 Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

When I first got into wheeling I bought a 2004 TJ Rubi. Found out that I loved the sport and wanted to move into a 4door. Started talking to a number of people/vendors about the 4door JK rubi. There was a lot of discussion regarding the mod's of the 2011 and the future of the 2012 model. The big ??? was the motor going into the 2012. A number of vendors were very uncertain about the 2011 and 2010 models and the mod's that were being made and could not give me information or timing on when aftermarket parts would be available. I believe that until Chrysler makes the final decision and rolls out the 2012 with the assurance that there will not be many more changes in the future, I dont think we will see many aftermarket parts produced for those years.
post #25 of 38 Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Wheeler

So now that the '12's are out, what are the real changes? Did anything change as much as projected. It seems like they didn't change as much as feared, except the drivetrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode