4lo issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

4lo issue

When we bought my wife's jeep I checked the 4wd and it did fine. Since then I added a 2.5" inch lift and 35's... Yesterday I washed it and decided to check it and make sure it still worked. From what I have read today I did it wrong. I put it in neutral and went to 4hi went to drive it worked. Stopped went back to neutral and went to 4lo went to drive it worked. Stopped went back to neutral and could not get it out of 4lo after a few minutes of trying different ways it went. I don't remember what I did but I didn't want to try it again.. Could I have possible broke the cable or what was I doing wrong other than being at a dead stop.... I'm new to 4wd's also its a 08 2dr 3.8 automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Wheeler

sometimes you just have to let it drift forward or backwards a little and it'll pop right out.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Wheeler

I know what you mean. Its a bit frustrating but seems to be the norm. I just hope that the next time I need 4Lo, I can rock it or drift a bit. I've also heard of breaking some kind of seal when trying to force it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

You didn't break the cable.....but you might have snapped the bushing where it meets the t-case shifter.

X-2 on "working" it a little.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Will I visually be able to see the bushing? Also is it something I can replace or is it something I need to have the dealership do? If I go to 4lo then drive forward a little can I put it back to 2hi or does it need to be in neutral?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Rock God

when going to 4l i always need to be moving 1-2mph. Once in a while i get lucky and can shift from a stop but maybe once every 500x. lol. so good rule of thumb..shift out of 4l while going forward a little but.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!

If the lever doesn't budge...just roll slowly and finagle it a bit till it works. If the lever is all loosey-goosey....you've trashed the pathetic plastic bushing on the end of the shifter cable. If the bushing is wasted, don't bother replacing it. Use some brass bushing, eclips, whatever and fix the bastyd the right way so you don't have to do it all over again. There are write-ups here (and everywhere) on various ways to do it.

My junk STILL grinds a bit every time I shift it into 4lo, no matter how I do it. Just part of the quality and charm.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 06-06-2011 at 12:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer394 View Post
Will I visually be able to see the bushing? Also is it something I can replace or is it something I need to have the dealership do? If I go to 4lo then drive forward a little can I put it back to 2hi or does it need to be in neutral?
If it is the bushing, your 4WD shift selector will flop around like it's no longer connected to anything - VERY loose - and will require zero effort to move from 2WD to 4HI to N to 4LO. If that's the case, you can fix it with zipties.

I did this on mine almost a year or so back and it still shifts like a champ.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Sounds like you were just having a little difficulty getting your gears to mesh up well enough to disengage. Happens all the time.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies looks like I haven't tore anything up yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode