Bent Rear Axle Shaft - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Bent Rear Axle Shaft

So about a year ago I bent my rear axle shaft. The sad thing is I really did not notice until recently. I guess I am a little slow. I took it apart this weekend and sure enough you can see the caliper moving in and out. The other side is rock solid.

With all that said who makes good replacement shafts? I see superior makes chomo shafts but i am not sure what strength and 10 factory makes manganese 1541H which I read is only a little stronger than stock. I want something that will resist bending in the future.

If it gets too expensive I could always go the route of a rear 60 with an ARB. I guess it depends on how much my rear would be worth. (after replacing the shaft) Hmmmm.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonunit View Post
So about a year ago I bent my rear axle shaft. The sad thing is I really did not notice until recently. I guess I am a little slow. I took it apart this weekend and sure enough you can see the caliper moving in and out. The other side is rock solid.

With all that said who makes good replacement shafts? I see superior makes chomo shafts but i am not sure what strength and 10 factory makes manganese 1541H which I read is only a little stronger than stock. I want something that will resist bending in the future.

If it gets too expensive I could always go the route of a rear 60 with an ARB. I guess it depends on how much my rear would be worth. (after replacing the shaft) Hmmmm.
You would have to get a shaft made out of unobtanium for it to cost enough to justify as that being the reason to ditch it and go with a 60..lol

I would just get a set of Co-Mos and be done with it.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
You would have to get a shaft made out of unobtanium for it to cost enough to justify as that being the reason to ditch it and go with a 60..lol

I would just get a set of Co-Mos and be done with it.
Lol. I can really inflate prices to make it look close but you are right. I don't see a 60 in my near future. I was just wondering on experiences with any particular brand vs. the other.

my math makes a 60 look doable.
$3000 for a 60 (rounding in my favor)
-1500 after selling my rear
$1500 total 60 cost (again rounding in my favor)

Vs.
500 for cromo shafts and bearings
200 for misc install parts
50 for press time
(I would do it myself but lets throw labor in there)
250 for labor.

so the 60 is only 500 more.

Yeah that is government math right there if I have ever seen it.

2K8 Rubicon SWB
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Definitely some rounded up goverment math. Once you spend $500 for the complete shafts you are good to go. You can get them with bearing, races and everything ready to install, so you don't need any other misc parts. It can be done in about about two hours in your drive. Very simple install.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They all bend and break.

Chromoly D44 shaft. One of several I bent before going to D60s.
Name:  D44.JPG
Views: 2577
Size:  27.2 KB

Currie Chromoly 35sp D60 shaft. Twisted splines and bent in the middle this weekend.
Name:  d60 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  45.0 KB

The correct statement is "you are less likely to break axles with a 60".
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Nice!

Fair enough I think just about anything will get me by. I don't remember what exactly bent it along the trail but I will get some on order as soon as my front Dynatrac housing and RCV's get installed. It's just money right?

2K8 Rubicon SWB
post #7 of 8 Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sounds like you bent a flange. I did that on my first wheeling run after going 37". You could see my brake cal moving from side to side. I went cro-mo and haven't had any issues. But like DD said, you are less likley to bend / bust a D60. Maybe I can do that project next year...

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Granite Guru

currie super 60, 40 spline rear and 35spline front. maybe that is overkill but that is what i did after breaking my rear chromoly and front rcv in consecutive trips. I said the heck with my 44's. they just weren't going to hold up. I was tired of limping on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode