JK Rollover Thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK Rollover Thread

I figured it would be fun to start a thread about JK rollovers. Not many seem to get wheeled hard enough, but it's always fun to watch someone destroy their brand new toy

If you have pics or video of someone rolling their JK post it here.

One to start it off with:

YouTube - ‪JK Rubicon Rollover on Rocker knocker Moab‬‏
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Worst spotter EVER! should be the title of that video. You could tell that was going to happen as soon as the video started. That was just dumb, looked like it was at the tipping point from the start not being disconnected then turn more to the left and keep coming?!?! Really?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Worst spotter EVER! should be the title of that video. You could tell that was going to happen as soon as the video started. That was just dumb, looked like it was at the tipping point from the start not being disconnected then turn more to the left and keep coming?!?! Really?
Hate to say (as no disrespect intended to whoever that is) but I agree. That was horrible spotting.

JMO- I wouldn't say "fun" to watch. Well.....at least I don't like to admit it.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow that gave me anxiety on how poor of a line that was. I've been on the "line" like that, but she paid no attention to that drop off, that was a "no surprise" kinda fail. Not like he was going fast/lots of wheel spin, rock moved, etc!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Granite Guru

Wow. That one was seen from the start for sure....surprised no one elese chimed in to correct the situation or at least ask for a redo.
post #6 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to redneckjk

hate to argue with y'all but that is the line. she might be off by a few inches but she did keep telling him to keep the wheel hard over which is the only way you can make it up rocker knocker. there are very few rigs that can make the straight up approach. mine ain't one of them, then again mine isn't ready for any part of Pritchett Canyon. y'all need to go back and watch the JKO Pritchett Canyon run during the safari. they had a couple of rollovers at this same spot with Lance and Larry Mcraie spotting.
post #7 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckjk View Post
hate to argue with y'all but that is the line. she might be off by a few inches but she did keep telling him to keep the wheel hard over which is the only way you can make it up rocker knocker. there are very few rigs that can make the straight up approach. mine ain't one of them, then again mine isn't ready for any part of Pritchett Canyon. y'all need to go back and watch the JKO Pritchett Canyon run during the safari. they had a couple of rollovers at this same spot with Lance and Larry Mcraie spotting.
Sure looks like she was watching the wrong side of the line...Not saying the rig should have gone straight up, but obviously the tire that needed watching wasn't tend to. Unless there is something more detrimental than that drop on the passenger's side..

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Someone did say something about the 17 second mark. I'm surprised the driver could somewhat feel being at the teeter totter point, I guess like everything else you had to be there.

Also I'm not trying to be or act like a know it all wheeler and I have no where near the wheeling experience most of you have as I'm on the gulf coast and most if not all of my wheeling has been ditches, muddy trails, beaches, and hurricane high water search and recovery, but the simple laws of common sense physics should have been obvious on this one and I can't hardly figure out algebra anymore! I feel bad for the guy, it was probably his wife and I'm sure there was a week or so a bunch of scenes from "the war of the rose's" going on at their house!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #9 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 AM
JKO Addict!

post #10 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why in the hell would it be fun to watch JK's rollover? Some peoples kids just should not be allowed in public..........
post #11 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Rock God

This is what they were trying to do...

http://youtu.be/42fx7VhZEz8

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #12 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post

I can see that not being a short wheel base friendly obstacle to begin with! Seems like the first JK was about a foot over to the video's left to begin with? Or no?

post #13 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
THIS!

I wonder how many of you experts commenting on the spotting have run this obstacle the technical way?

post #14 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Sure looks like she was watching the wrong side of the line...Not saying the rig should have gone straight up, but obviously the tire that needed watching wasn't tend to. Unless there is something more detrimental than that drop on the passenger's side..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
THIS!

I wonder how many of you experts commenting on the spotting have run this obstacle the technical way?
x3!!! That is the line... everything in your body & mind tells you that it's all wrong, but then it works!

I'm sure I was I was giving Lance a "your a dumbass that's gonna make me flop" as he spotted me up it!!! Thanks again Lance & sorry for that look!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #15 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post

That video definitely explains it. Thanks for posting.
post #16 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks to Dave, redneck & Slippery for vids and explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
lotta pictures
I've seen most of those before and always glad everybody was okay. Ours id a dd and part time easy trail wheeler. Those are the pics that put some extra cage stiffening near the top of my mod list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Why in the hell would it be fun to watch JK's rollover? Some peoples kids just should not be allowed in public..........
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 06-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.
post #17 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Ok- forgetting the vid, it's good to see how well the windshield frame seems to hold up- in almost every pic, it's deformed, but not in so far as to intrude into the driver's body-space. However, as a 6-footer, I do worry about the top crush-zone, which looks like it'd include my head space. Since ducking isn't a big option when you're rolling, I think a bit of extra cage would go a long way for us taller-than-average folks :-\ Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #18 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Ok- forgetting the vid, it's good to see how well the windshield frame seems to hold up- in almost every pic, it's deformed, but not in so far as to intrude into the driver's body-space. However, as a 6-footer, I do worry about the top crush-zone, which looks like it'd include my head space. Since ducking isn't a big option when you're rolling, I think a bit of extra cage would go a long way for us taller-than-average folks :-\ Mark W.
Mark, no offense but what pictures are you looking at? In almost every one of those above the frame collapsed, although granted it was the passenger side becaused of how they landed. That's the area of that concerns me the most. I feel ya, at 6'3" I'm a little close to the top as well.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #19 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

In all but the last ones, the windshield and frame aren't far enough back that they're really intruding into the passenger space- or my depth perception/vision sucks! It looks like the windshield is still more or less over the dash, which means out of your head/chest area, unless you pitched forward.
Either way, reinforcement looks like a must in the front! I'm thinking of going a bit custom, and getting a different windshield frame support (was thinking of that BEFORE this thread, by the way ), so it's easier to fold down the windshield, AND there's some more beef to the front area. Eff the back, as I run without a backseat anyway Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #20 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
In all but the last ones, the windshield and frame aren't far enough back that they're really intruding into the passenger space- or my depth perception/vision sucks! It looks like the windshield is still more or less over the dash, which means out of your head/chest area, unless you pitched forward.
Either way, reinforcement looks like a must in the front! I'm thinking of going a bit custom, and getting a different windshield frame support (was thinking of that BEFORE this thread, by the way ), so it's easier to fold down the windshield, AND there's some more beef to the front area. Eff the back, as I run without a backseat anyway Mark W.
Look forward to seeing that as it progresses

Quote:
post #21 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I was on that run and don't remember anyone rolling on Rocker Knocker. The Rebel TJ rolled at a differant spot. You definatly get an uncomfortable lean going on at that spot but the spotting in that video didn't look good.
post #22 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Jesus- Not "fun" in the sense that you WANT to specifically see someone roll.......but everyfuckingoneofus clicked on that video and plenty of other videos to see what we already know is going to happen.

I don't like to see peoples property destroyed, nor do I EVER want to see someone injured........but there is something that makes watching a flop or roll-over almost mesmerizing.

Maybe fun isn't the right word, but for whatever interest.....we all like to view that kind of thing.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #23 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Jesus- Not "fun" in the sense that you WANT to specifically see someone roll.......but everyfuckingoneofus clicked on that video and plenty of other videos to see what we already know is going to happen.

I don't like to see peoples property destroyed, nor do I EVER want to see someone injured........but there is something that makes watching a flop or roll-over almost mesmerizing.

Maybe fun isn't the right word, but for whatever interest.....we all like to view that kind of thing.
Yeah but I still think it was a fair reaction to this VVV no joy here
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkw View Post
....Not many seem to get wheeled hard enough, but it's always fun to watch someone destroy their brand new toy...

Quote:
post #24 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I wouldn't "eff the back" anything that hits the ground is transferring part of the load onto it. Which is why I have the rear poly weld in cage, scattering the load = strength. It all plays into where exactly you are hitting when going over, but that's a huge unknown

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 06-06-2011 at 10:53 AM.
post #25 of 216 Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
It never ends...

Having seen how the stock roll cage is done when TnT gutted my jeep to build a real roll cage, I have no faith in a stock cage in an Endo type flop. Side flop, ok. Side roll, bad news. The b pillar in a stock jk is not structurally tough.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 06-06-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode