soft top tips - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

soft top tips

I finally took off my hard top and put on the soft top for the first time and damn my brother busted our asses to get it to fit. I love not having any top on but there are times I need it up but it seems the hastle is not worth taking it off. It is the first time this top has been opened and I hope that it just needs to stretch out. Its there any tips one how to make this easier. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

Latch the front first then hook the back, its much easier to hook the back than trying to pull down the front and latch it and get a good seal.

aka- Brian
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #3 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

also stretches easier when its warmed up. let it sit in the sun for a bit.

easiest way to do the side windows: start the zipper about an inch or two, then put push the edge into the front slot, then zip the rest of the way, then insert the bottom part.

my advice is based on the four door...so may be different for two doors

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

It gets easier... through trial and error, you'll figure out the best way. I can do everything from door surrounds to windows in about 10 minutes without even hurrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #5 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
It gets easier... through trial and error, you'll figure out the best way. I can do everything from door surrounds to windows in about 10 minutes without even hurrying.
x2, repetition helps

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Rock God

First few times are a little more difficult but it will stretch a bit and most important of all you'll eventually know where to pull and/or push to get it in place.
Unlike a previous poster I would not latch the front first since it will make the job in the back much tougher.
The job is much easier if the soft top is nice and warm while receiving some direct sun light. The most difficult spots are the C-Pillar rail at the rear doors and getting the zippers around the corners ( the rear window zipper can be rough on your knuckles btw ). For the C-Pillar rail make sure that you pull down hard to have the roof section in that area seated down before trying to clip in the bottom and for the zippers you'll have to pull the roof corners to get them to go around the corners.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otnoc311 View Post
Latch the front first then hook the back, its much easier to hook the back than trying to pull down the front and latch it and get a good seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejwil View Post
also stretches easier when its warmed up. let it sit in the sun for a bit.
easiest way to do the side windows: start the zipper about an inch or two, then put push the edge into the front slot, then zip the rest of the way, then insert the bottom part.
my advice is based on the four door...so may be different for two doors
^^^

I have an Unlimited. First step is to get a friend to help to at least put the top up.
If no one is available to help, then I:
Climb in the rear door, stand in the rear floor board, reach over the rear seat to pull the soft top up and into it's place. Make sure the latches for the sunrider option (just above the C-Pillar) click into place, and that the cross bar just in front of the sunrider latches goes into place against the frame of the top. My cross bar never lines up by itself, I always have to line it up manually.
Latch the front.
Do the back corners next. Usually have to pull down on the rear cross bar, just above the rear window, while putting in the rear sail panels into the tub rail.
Install the side clips to the surround channels next. Start with the ones above the front door, then the rear door (if an Unlimited).
Next, install the side windows. I use the same method as mike posted above.
Finally, the rear window. I put a small carabiner in the loop for the zipper. Makes for much easier zipping-unzipping. Make sure the rear window is centered, which makes zipping the top corners of the rear window much easier. Off to one side will make the opposite side harder to zip.

With some practice, you will get the hang of it.

That being said, I run a Bestop duster on the back of my JK. So, I just skip the last parts about putting in the windows. When I run the soft top up, I leave the duster to cover the rear cargo area.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #8 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

When you guys are talking of latching the front first, do you just do it where you put the catch hook on the loops but leave it loose, and then do the back and then go and finished locking it into place up front, that's how I do it and how I have seen it done on a few youtube videos and that seems to help.

Pay attention to all the details on how it sits and what not as they can be a little tricky and you might get some major wind noise if it's even a little out of whack. Most of all it's a rep type deal where the more you do it the easier it gets, both from it stretching a little and you gaining the experience. I also second the notion if you need to get in and stand in the back to help pull the top up, I'm 6'6 and it's even a bugger for me to set it up right from the ground as it doesn't always want to flop into place, but rather twist a little side to side.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #9 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Rock God

Takes me maybe 5 minutes to put it up.
I don't get in the bed but I can see how anyone under 5'8" might have to (mine in lifted too). I do it myself. Eventually as my shoulder degenerates more I will need my wife to help. That's the problem with degenerative osteoarthritis. It keeps degenerating.
I know my former master took a while to put her top back up the first time and that was with help. She has an '11 JK 2 door.

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #10 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butkus34 View Post
When you guys are talking of latching the front first, do you just do it where you put the catch hook on the loops but leave it loose, and then do the back and then go and finished locking it into place up front, that's how I do it and how I have seen it done on a few youtube videos and that seems to help.

Pay attention to all the details on how it sits and what not as they can be a little tricky and you might get some major wind noise if it's even a little out of whack. Most of all it's a rep type deal where the more you do it the easier it gets, both from it stretching a little and you gaining the experience. I also second the notion if you need to get in and stand in the back to help pull the top up, I'm 6'6 and it's even a bugger for me to set it up right from the ground as it doesn't always want to flop into place, but rather twist a little side to side.
No, I latch them down completely to get a good seal on the header then go to the back and pull down on the crossbar and hook the corners

aka- Brian

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #11 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I'm gonna have to try that, mine has seal pretty good but there's a little bit of wind noise at times.

2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, Blacked Out
3.5 inch lift sitting on 35's
Poly Performance/Synergy Suspension Ball Joints
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
post #12 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

I'm also in a 4dr but it takes just a few minutes to go up or down. Hell, getting all the folds right when putting it down takes longer than anything else. It'll loosen up over time but, as was mentioned, planning ahead so you can do it after it bakes in the sun for 20 minutes will help a lot.

I also think hooking the back first is easier. I don't always do it that way, though. The front latches are longer than the lip on the rear flaps so it's less effort to get them hooked. Plus, I can grab the inside and pull down to make it easier.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.

Last edited by diver_matt; 06-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Rock God

When its really hot out I just zip out the windows and leave the top up to keep the sun off my head...
Does't take long to put the top up or down once you get the hang of it.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode