Deconstructing Tuffy Security Deck part of design? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Research, bro!

Garage
Deconstructing Tuffy Security Deck part of design?

I want my cake and eat it too. Love the concept of the Tuffy Security Deck for my JKU, but might not be flexible enough for my requirements. Really don't need it fully installed all the time. So here goes the questions for you owners...

1. Have dogs . Is the top deck designed to come off completely? I like sticking them in the cargo area.

2. Is the rear panel (the one near the back of the rear seats) designed to be removed completely as well? I glanced at the instructions and it says it is connected to the side panels via "knob screws" making me hope so. There are times when I'm gonna want to lay the rears flat and store longish items flat in the back.

3. Not a deconstructing question, but anyone measure the height from the bottom to top deck? Interested to know what hard gear of mine can fit under it.

Basically, I'm hoping it's just the side panels that are secured down, with the rear and top panels creatively connected to the sides so that they can be quickly removed if desired when the tailgate is opened.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't have one but have looked at them indepth since they came out and as I understand the information, the front and top pieces are removable to allow full use of the storage area. I don't know if the top is seperate of the front or if they are removed at the same time....FWIW

09 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Zone Offroad 4" lift with 35" KM2
Superwinch LP8500 in ARB front bumper
And too FEW Lights!!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

you can remove both in under 5 minutes. Top just slides out and the rear peice is held on with 4 wingnuts if I remember correctly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott08X View Post
you can remove both in under 5 minutes. Top just slides out and the rear peice is held on with 4 wingnuts if I remember correctly
you remember correctly - its about 5 minutes at most to take the top and back section off. only the sides are mounted to the floor and walls.

one thing you may want to consider is seeing it in person to make sure you would be okay with the dogs in the back and the sides still attached. not saying it would be dangerous, but there are some straight edges in the metal that you may have to drape a blanket over.

overall its a great product and i love mine to death and highly recommend it.

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #5 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I want my cake and eat it too. Love the concept of the Tuffy Security Deck for my JKU, but might not be flexible enough for my requirements. Really don't need it fully installed all the time. So here goes the questions for you owners...

1. Have dogs . Is the top deck designed to come off completely? I like sticking them in the cargo area.

2. Is the rear panel (the one near the back of the rear seats) designed to be removed completely as well? I glanced at the instructions and it says it is connected to the side panels via "knob screws" making me hope so. There are times when I'm gonna want to lay the rears flat and store longish items flat in the back.

3. Not a deconstructing question, but anyone measure the height from the bottom to top deck? Interested to know what hard gear of mine can fit under it.

Basically, I'm hoping it's just the side panels that are secured down, with the rear and top panels creatively connected to the sides so that they can be quickly removed if desired when the tailgate is opened.

I installed a pair of 10" subs behind the rear seat (JKU) in a box with the subs facing down. Then I had a second box made that was the same height/width as the subs box that extended from the subs to the tailgate. I made sure they built it to go snug to the tailgate and they got it to about an 1/8". Then I installed hasps on the side and used padlocks to secure the two boxes together (one key though). I also got a wire cable, made loops on the ends and small carabiners. I bolted an eye bolt inside the rear box and tethered it to the bed. The box is so close to the tailgate, you simply can't reach in to undo the tether. The tether is so short that you can't slide it forward either.

Now you can't lift out the large box without opening the tailgate, nor separate the subs from the large box. The large box is open in the back so I have hidden storage. It's not as tall as the Tuffy so my dog still rides on top of it. Being connected to the subs means you'd have to make a LOT of noise and effort to steal the subs. Total cost: About $60 including hasps, cable, etc. already carpeted with grey carpet VERY close to factory color. I'll get some pics soon. Just another option.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

Pics

Here's some photos. Sorry about the size. They were taken with the iphone and didn't have a chance to reduce them all. First is the boxes and how they're locked together. Next is nice tight fit between box and tailgate, eliminating the possibility of removing the inside cable. Then the appearance overall. Lastly, the storage area it created. Note: The factory storage tub is still FULLY useable also.

Always follow a great leader. In the absence of a great leader, BE ONE.

Last edited by diver_matt; 06-14-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode