Sunk my Jeep today- what needs replaced? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sunk my Jeep today- what needs replaced?

Long story short the river turned out deeper than I had thought or was the first time I crossed. I turned the engine off before it sunk. It was COMPLETELY underwater to where I was standing on the hardtop and still waist deep in water. It sat for 3-4 hours underwater. Only thing I've done for the night was pulled the interior and air filter to attempt to dry everything out.

So with that said tomorrow I'm draining fluids (engine, transmission, transfer case, diff fluid, gas tank), changing spark plugs, air filter, ect then I'm thinking to let it sit for a few days for the electrical system to finish dying or doing whatever magic that goes on inside the computer.

Other than that I'm planning on seeing how things go. But I don't want to mess anything up by trying to get it started too soon.

Anything else I should check or attempt to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Rock God

You should probably check the water depth next time before crossing. Hope everything works out for ya, good luck with the repairs. Sounds like you have everything covered.
My only suggestion is maybe leave the spark plugs out the first time you turn it over, just in case there is still water in there it'll come out the top as opposed to it bending a rod.
post #3 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Pictures?

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 02:46 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLoftis View Post
Long story short the river turned out deeper than I had thought or was the first time I crossed. I turned the engine off before it sunk. It was COMPLETELY underwater to where I was standing on the hardtop and still waist deep in water. It sat for 3-4 hours underwater. Only thing I've done for the night was pulled the interior and air filter to attempt to dry everything out.

So with that said tomorrow I'm draining fluids (engine, transmission, transfer case, diff fluid, gas tank), changing spark plugs, air filter, ect then I'm thinking to let it sit for a few days for the electrical system to finish dying or doing whatever magic that goes on inside the computer.

Other than that I'm planning on seeing how things go. But I don't want to mess anything up by trying to get it started too soon.

Anything else I should check or attempt to fix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
You should probably check the water depth next time before crossing. Hope everything works out for ya, good luck with the repairs. Sounds like you have everything covered.
My only suggestion is maybe leave the spark plugs out the first time you turn it over, just in case there is still water in there it'll come out the top as opposed to it bending a rod.

^^^this.....might want to look at dropping the entire oil pan. Water runs down hill so maybe whatever got into the engine may come out through the bottom of the engine.....couldn't hurt anyway. Definitely open the airbox and then disconnect the tube leading to the engine to see if water is in the tube....might be a great indicator on whether or not water went into the engine!

Once you get it all taken care of, put on the Smilin Bob breather extension kit for your Diffs, T-Case, etc up to the airbox then snorkel it Captain U-Boat!

U.S. Army
post #5 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

Im pretty sure this jeep is going to be problamatic for the rest of its life. Between electrical and drivetrain wise. I dont think your going to get rid of all the moisture/water. Without full tear downs and/or replacements.
post #6 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 03:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

pics,pics,pics.

im gonna guess you will need new electronics, even though you turned it off, the batt was still connected so the computers still had power to them when submerged. def pull the spark plugs when you turn it over for the first time. What about making a makeshift tent or somekind of enclouser to put the jeep in and put a few de-humidifiers in there, id prob put one in the jeep to with the doors/top on/closed ( i did this to dry out my seats/carpets once). You maybe able to claim this on insurance if it goes bad and does need all new electronics, although im not completly sure if stupid wheeling tricks is covered by your insurance.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Granite Guru

Engine swap

Time for a 4bt swap?

GO THE EXTRA MILE, IT'S NEVER CROWDED THERE.

/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
post #8 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Be certain to go through all the fuses and check for any shorted. Remember which ones were blown as well. Good luck with firing it up. I'd be tempted to see what my insurance would do first. You are 19? Sure hope you paid for that sucker!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

wow.

Well. You stand an excellent chance of it being totaled. Hell you can buy Jeeps that have only had water 1/2 way up the engine as salvage titles....but one that was 3 feet under water for 3-4 hours? ouch.

G'luck!

post #10 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Rock God

wow that sucks. i play in the water allot and I've had a couple of pucker moments when my jeep started to float away. that being said there was always a bunch of people there to help pull me out before i sank. I've had the entire engine under water many times and no ill effects. i think the bad part is that your jeep sat under water for a while. along with your recommendations i would pull all the fuses and blow the fuse box clean, put dielectric grease on all the connections. other wise i think you will be chasing shorts for a long time.i would think the box that reads the code from the key to allow it to start as well as the rest of the electronics in the dash are toast. sometimes the best backup plan is to just pull the tag off the jeep and catch a ride home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #11 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I wouldnt even try to fix it.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #12 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Me neither and I wouldn't get another Jeep.

2010 SURF BLUE JK UNLIMITED. 4" TERAFLEX FULL FLEX LIFT, SMITTYBUILT FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, SMITTYBUILT 10K WINCH, SMITTYBUILT ROCK SLIDERS, BUSHWACKER FLAT FENDERS, 35" PROCOMPS ON 17" ADDICTS, 513 GEARS, HELLA LIGHTS AND TANTRUM LIGHTS UNDERNEATH.
post #13 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyb View Post
Me neither and I wouldn't get another Jeep.
Just a little harsh.

Who knows... maybe if you email Cop4x4, he'll rebuild it for you! HA!

Anyway, I'll 2nd or 3rd or whatever the motion for a 4bt swap. Lots of electronics are toast probably so why not bypass them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #14 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

insurance

Did you have insurance on the Jeep? Flood would be covered under you Comp. policy. File claim then they will give you options of totaling jeep, or getting fixed and insurance paying. I would be interested in buying jeep if you file claim and get to keep it. send pm Thanks
post #15 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
Pictures?
Yeah my phone went down with the ship. I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
^^^this.....might want to look at dropping the entire oil pan. Water runs down hill so maybe whatever got into the engine may come out through the bottom of the engine.....couldn't hurt anyway. Definitely open the airbox and then disconnect the tube leading to the engine to see if water is in the tube....might be a great indicator on whether or not water went into the engine!

Once you get it all taken care of, put on the Smilin Bob breather extension kit for your Diffs, T-Case, etc up to the airbox then snorkel it Captain U-Boat!
I don't think a snorkel would of helped in this situation. But it did have breather extensions on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedsks View Post
Im pretty sure this jeep is going to be problamatic for the rest of its life. Between electrical and drivetrain wise. I dont think your going to get rid of all the moisture/water. Without full tear downs and/or replacements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0857 View Post
Time for a 4bt swap?
Well a 4bt swap and dana 60 are in the works so I'm not planning on sticking with the stock drivetrain. But I think these just got moved up on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
pics,pics,pics.

im gonna guess you will need new electronics, even though you turned it off, the batt was still connected so the computers still had power to them when submerged. def pull the spark plugs when you turn it over for the first time. What about making a makeshift tent or somekind of enclouser to put the jeep in and put a few de-humidifiers in there, id prob put one in the jeep to with the doors/top on/closed ( i did this to dry out my seats/carpets once). You maybe able to claim this on insurance if it goes bad and does need all new electronics, although im not completly sure if stupid wheeling tricks is covered by your insurance.
Could be a good idea It's outside now to dry out but I'll get it into a garage today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Be certain to go through all the fuses and check for any shorted. Remember which ones were blown as well. Good luck with firing it up. I'd be tempted to see what my insurance would do first. You are 19? Sure hope you paid for that sucker!
I'll be paying for this thing the rest of my life. I'm not really into calling insurance to have them say it's totaled. I'm really glad I don't have a wife or kids so I can afford to fix this with the money I save .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba2u View Post
wow that sucks. i play in the water allot and I've had a couple of pucker moments when my jeep started to float away. that being said there was always a bunch of people there to help pull me out before i sank. I've had the entire engine under water many times and no ill effects. i think the bad part is that your jeep sat under water for a while. along with your recommendations i would pull all the fuses and blow the fuse box clean, put dielectric grease on all the connections. other wise i think you will be chasing shorts for a long time.i would think the box that reads the code from the key to allow it to start as well as the rest of the electronics in the dash are toast. sometimes the best backup plan is to just pull the tag off the jeep and catch a ride home.
I'm kinda assuming everything is dead
Could of worked but too many people knew about it too fast.

Quote:
Where would be the fun in that?
post #16 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Just a little harsh.

Who knows... maybe if you email Cop4x4, he'll rebuild it for you! HA!

Anyway, I'll 2nd or 3rd or whatever the motion for a 4bt swap. Lots of electronics are toast probably so why not bypass them anyway.
I've been wanting to do an engine swap but have been worried about keeping the electronics. I don't think that's a problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoetc View Post
Did you have insurance on the Jeep? Flood would be covered under you Comp. policy. File claim then they will give you options of totaling jeep, or getting fixed and insurance paying. I would be interested in buying jeep if you file claim and get to keep it. send pm Thanks
Yes, I do have insurance as it is/was my daily driver.

Does driving a jeep into the river count as flood?
post #17 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

For Sale....

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #18 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

I would have to agree. As a mechanic, I've dealt with two major immersion vehicles, and they are like bad pennies- they ALWAYS come back. Both got flooded up to around the hood line. They required replacing engine, trans, and axle guts, not to mention almost all the wiring (we ended up R&Ring the entire harness from head-to tail-lights in one, and it STILL had issues), interior bits (or they STINK!), and so on.

As someone above said, you'll ALWAYS have more issues. You're honestly better off trying to get insurance to total it out, and starting all over. Trust me. Neither of those rigs was as sunk as yours, or for as long, and they both ended up getting parted out and going to the junker. Bad luck, and stupidity, amigo. No disrespect, but that's quite the mis-estimation! Next time, follow the old rule- measure twice, dunk once Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #19 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well you've taken all the ragging pretty good. I was gonna ask of your friends call you Almighty TM or if you own a tattoo shop by chance

Quote:
I've been wanting to do an engine swap but have been worried about keeping the electronics. I don't think that's a problem anymore.

I don't think so lol. Seriously good luck with it.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
I would have to agree. As a mechanic, I've dealt with two major immersion vehicles, and they are like bad pennies- they ALWAYS come back. Both got flooded up to around the hood line. They required replacing engine, trans, and axle guts, not to mention almost all the wiring (we ended up R&Ring the entire harness from head-to tail-lights in one, and it STILL had issues), interior bits (or they STINK!), and so on.

As someone above said, you'll ALWAYS have more issues. You're honestly better off trying to get insurance to total it out, and starting all over. Trust me. Neither of those rigs was as sunk as yours, or for as long, and they both ended up getting parted out and going to the junker. Bad luck, and stupidity, amigo. No disrespect, but that's quite the mis-estimation! Next time, follow the old rule- measure twice, dunk once Mark W.
We drove across it once before, was not the same the second time around.

I'll see what I can do, and keep insurance as a back up after I do more research.

Does anywhere sell a complete wiring harness like they do for other model jeeps?
post #21 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Not necessarily as a flood, but it should be covered under your comprehensive coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #22 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Well you've taken all the ragging pretty good. I was gonna ask of your friends call you Almighty TM or if you own a tattoo shop by chance

I don't think so lol. Seriously good luck with it.
I had my girlfriend in there with me, I've already heard everything.
post #23 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Rock God

TM....I found the photo for you...

seriously though, tough break man...good luck with the restoration.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #24 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
TM....I found the photo for you...

[IMG]http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y367/tg426/photo1.jpg[IMG]

seriously though, tough break man...good luck with the restoration.
haha that's great.

Thanks I'll start working on it later today.

The good news is my 2 week vacation started yesterday. So I have 2 weeks before I have to go back to work.
post #25 of 51 Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Sorry for your loss, will service be open to the public or just for the family. :0 Did fish come out of it when you opened the door to drain the water or does that only happen on TV. I hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode