Steering Gear Box - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Steering Gear Box

I did a little searching tonight and I think that I already know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. My steering gear box is leaking from the bottom somewhere. I have fluid all over my pitman arm and around the lower part of the gear box. Any options other than a new box? I can buy a ton of cardboard and ATF for what a new box costs. By the way, I'm running 35s and the steering still feels good. Thanks.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine was leaking at the top and running down. Was replaced under warranty. I believe psc rebuilds them and you can run a ram assist. Wouldnt be a bad time to upgrade if you rock crawl it

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No leaks at the top, just the bottom. With 57K I am well out of warranty. Is the ram assist still street legal?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't see a ram assist wouldn't be since you are still mechanically connected to the wheels.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM
Rock God

In most states hydro-assist is legal, where as full-hydro isn't. If you don't want to go with a full hydro-assist setup, WTOR can just rebuild the box with HD bearings and seals for around $130 IIRC.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #6 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I don't see a ram assist wouldn't be since you are still mechanically connected to the wheels.
It helps reduce strain on the sector shaft, especially off-road.

Hydro assist is legal and I believe full hydro is only illegal in Tennessee, and a few other states have vague laws about it, but most do not have any.

Sounds like your sector shaft seal is leaking, which is pretty common. The FSM doesn't list the steering box as a serviceable part, but it is. You need to replace the seals and maybe the bearing. Unlike many steering boxes there is no c-ring right before the seals. There is a c-ring but I believe it may be under the first seal which appears to be pressed on. You may have to pull the sector shaft out to service it, but I've never got that far into it so can't say for sure.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
WTOR can just rebuild the box with HD bearings and seals for around $130 IIRC.
This is most probably the cheapest and best fix, unless you want to do it yourself.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys. As always the advice is much appreciated. I will probably end up going with the rebuild for now. But checking out the PSC website, I have some new items for my X-mas list.

post #9 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Rock God

Is there a better aftermarket box out there that can replace the stock unit?
post #10 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsys View Post
In most states hydro-assist is legal, where as full-hydro isn't. If you don't want to go with a full hydro-assist setup, WTOR can just rebuild the box with HD bearings and seals for around $130 IIRC.
Do you have a link to WTOR ?

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #11 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
Do you have a link to WTOR ?
http://www.westtexasoffroad.com
post #12 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJK View Post
Is there a better aftermarket box out there that can replace the stock unit?
Not yet, the boxes that PSC provides are simply new OEM ones that are modified for the hydro-assist.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #13 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Some time in 2009 Chrysler replaced the OEM Delphi POS steering box with a Chinese POS steering box. My Delphi box was knocking & sloppy at < 10k miles. I'd had an incident where I thought perhaps the sector shaft had been bent, so I stepped up & ordered a new box. The replacement was the Chinese box. So far it has actually been a better box, no slop & knock free. I still have the Delphi unit which I'll probably send off to PSC should I decide to g with a hydro setup. What's needed is a good 3/4 ton truck box as a replacement.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Rock God

Ive said it a MILLION times. Someone in the aftermarket needs to make a better box and steering shaft. Its a big weak point on the JK. They would make a killing.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Thanks man

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #16 of 20 Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Ive said it a MILLION times. Someone in the aftermarket needs to make a better box and steering shaft. Its a big weak point on the JK. They would make a killing.

I agree

I am actually surprised that someone doesn't at this point...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, ÜJohn 3:16Ü
post #17 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Agreed. There doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique about the JK box, if it's a bolt pattern issue they could make an adapter. C'mon PSC, Howe, AGR...well, maybe not AGR. Many of us just want a box & pump that have more power, not a full blown hydraulic system.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Wheeler

I ran 35X14X15" tires on a 4 cylinder TJ with the stock steering set up and never had any issues. Now I drive a 07 JK Unlimited with 35's and if the rpms are below 1000 it feels like I have no power steering at all. I agree, there has to be something to replace/upgrade the steering system on this pig with out having to go Hydro. Besides, in todays average home, most guys cant afford the 1600-2000 dollars just to buy the hydro assist system.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-04-2011, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I keep thinking there's a GM/Delphi or Dodge Ram box & matching pump that would work. Don't make me come down there....
post #20 of 20 Old 05-24-2015, 07:40 AM

steering issue

i now have the same problem in my 2007 jk unlimited my steering feels hard to turn at lower rpm what is the easiest and most economical way to fix this issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode