abs esp and traction control light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

abs esp and traction control light

all 3 lights came on yesterday rolling down the interstate also the cruise control will shut off by its self lifted the truck 3 weeks ago one wheeling trip any ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

Steering wheel straight?? Also re torque your track bar with all 4 wheels on the ground at ride height and level. Something is not straight, or at least the computer dont think it is. Its Not going to hurt to check your control arm bolts while your at it. If you wheel you should check everything after every trip anyways.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have the exact same issue with my Jeep. Dealership thought it might be an ABS sensor which was replaced under warranty. They want me to drop it off for a day to troubleshoot, but I'm waiting on some recall parts first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got the same thing. Pretty sure it's an abs sensor but there is no way to know which one. I bought one for the rear is different than the front. I bought one for the front on a hunch that they are more likely to go out. I just need to find the time to put it in. Also, your cruise probably won't work until you get it fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #5 of 17 Old 05-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywtroll View Post
all 3 lights came on yesterday rolling down the interstate also the cruise control will shut off by its self lifted the truck 3 weeks ago one wheeling trip any ideas????
Steps:

1. What suspension components did you install?

2. Center your front axle using an adjustable trackbar. Torque this bolt on the ground and a min of 125 FT LBS.

3. Go 65 MPH's on a flat highway and hold your steering wheel straight, if your jeep goes straight skip step 3, if your jeep doesn't drive straight, come to a stop, and adjust your steering wheel at the draglink to center your steering wheel, 2 minute job, any quarter turn off on the steering wheel will throw your lights off.

4. Should be all ready to go.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Steps:

1. What suspension components did you install?

2. Center your front axle using an adjustable trackbar. Torque this bolt on the ground and a min of 125 FT LBS.

3. Go 65 MPH's on a flat highway and hold your steering wheel straight, if your jeep goes straight skip step 3, if your jeep doesn't drive straight, come to a stop, and adjust your steering wheel at the draglink to center your steering wheel, 2 minute job, any quarter turn off on the steering wheel will throw your lights off.

4. Should be all ready to go.
yes steering wheel is off slightly to the left i installed rock krawler 3.5 mid arm upper lower fronts and rears and front n rear track bars and new springs will try all the above thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 07:34 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
yes steering wheel is off slightly to the left
Adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel, takes 5 minutes and will likely end your issues.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Did your dash look like this?

If so check the wiring harness that connects to each wheel. I think it is called the ABS Speed sensor. I damage the one for my passenger rear wheel while wheelin on Saturday. The part cost about $19. At first it looked ok, but when I touched the plug it it fell right off. The pins on the wheel side of the connector broke off.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #9 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res6cue View Post
Did your dash look like this?

If so check the wiring harness that connects to each wheel. I think it is called the ABS Speed sensor. I damage the one for my passenger rear wheel while wheelin on Saturday. The part cost about $19. At first it looked ok, but when I touched the plug it it fell right off. The pins on the wheel side of the connector broke off.
where are they connected at on the wheel
post #10 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
where are they connected at on the wheel
The hub. You can't miss it. And that ^^^^ is exactly what my dash looks like...except replace that 17 with a 11 on the mpg's.

post #11 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

On my passenger side rear tire it was located towards the front. Other then the brake line, it is the only wires that go to the wheel. If you still dont see it let me know and I will get some pictures for you.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

post #12 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
The hub. You can't miss it. And that ^^^^ is exactly what my dash looks like...except replace that 17 with a 11 on the mpg's.
Usually that 17 is in the mid to upper 18 range. It was in the low 14's from wheeling on Sat.

post #13 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res6cue View Post
On my passenger side rear tire it was located towards the front. Other then the brake line, it is the only wires that go to the wheel. If you still dont see it let me know and I will get some pictures for you.
Did you change yours yourself? How big of a PITA is it? From what I understand, you have to pull the rotor and hub off.

post #14 of 17 Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Aside from the obvious, steering wheel centered, etc. you need to be sure that the axles are centered under the vehicle. If they're not, in certain suspension movement situations the system may think there's a fault and will trigger the light(s). A club member with a TF 3" system & stock arms & track bars had that same issue, plus a drift to the left. When I checked it he had the front axle centered well, but the rear was off about 3/8s to 1/2 an inch to one side. We corrected it by dropping the bar at the rear axle side bracket to the lowest hole. Centered it nearly perfectly and matched the drop of the bar to nearly the same degree as the front. Fixed, no more pull, no more lights issues.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ran it 2 weeks with lift no problem wheeled it at rausch 2 weeks ago now have the lights maybe just a bunch of crud is in there recentering the wheel did not do anything all the wires are still attatched
post #16 of 17 Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM

This light started coming one once new tires were installed. Does anyone know if that has something to do with it? They want to charge me $120 at the dealer just to check the light
post #17 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM

My abs and traction control light come on when I turn my steering wheel to the left and my cruise control will not work when the lights are on. Usually when I straighten the wheel and drive a little ways it goes back off. Is this something I can fix myself or will I need to take it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode