View Poll Results: Best for Wheelin
4sp Automatic Trans 9 69.23%
6sp Man Trans 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

need decision help

I'm looking @ a JK 4d 4wd for an everyday/ Mild Wheelin toy possibly 3" lift with some 32s or something I'm debating on whether to get a standard or automatic any thoughts would be greatfull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Rock God

If I were buying just for me, I woulda most likely bought a manual BUT, my fiancee can't drive a manual so, I bought an automatic.

Have you ever driven offroad with a manual? If you have a low enough crawl ratio, it's great!!! (My previous offroad toy had a manual trans and 117:1 crawl ratio) A Rubicon might be okay (4:1 t-case) BUT, I would think the standard (2.72:1 t-case) would be a challenge for rockcrawling with a stick shift!

If you do mud, an auto is the way to go, more consistent power output (no need to put in the clutch and change gears).

For onroad, it depends on what kind of area you live in, I live in a city area and a stick is MISERABLE in stop and go traffic!!! (BUT, I still miss rowing through the gears!!! Autos are boring IMO!)

As for tire size, the stock tire size is already 32" on anything other than the X. If you are going with a 3" lift, you can go with 35's!!! (easy, with proper bumpstops) Just don't forget to budget $$$ to re-gear your axles!

I am going to vote auto- for mild wheeling in a stock-ish vehicle, it is the way to go! (especially if you are new to wheeling, that way you can concentrate on the path you need to take instead of on what gear you need to be in and doing the three pedal shuffle, LOL!)

Last edited by VADERJKU; 05-31-2011 at 09:33 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You are going to get 13 million responses telling you 13 million (and two) different things.

I have a JKU with an Auto and a 2 door JK with a 6 speed.

If I had to do it again they'd both have automatics in them for my uses. The six speed is nice offroad because you can put it where you want it, but around town I'm over shifting and thinking about one more thing while I'm driving.

Get an automatic and a Superchips and you'll be happy.

Wait and check out the 2012s and you'll get a better deal on a 2011 and know for sure if you think the new motor is worth the extra money.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode