Soft top, rackless, front kayaking tie down - idea's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Soft top, rackless, front kayaking tie down - idea's?

Hello. I have a bit of a problem. I plan on doing a 3000km trip (one way) this summer. I want to bring my kayak. I'm going with just a bikini top and soft doors.

I know I'll find a way to secure the kayak at the back as I'm building a trunk cover and will put some eye bolts in. I was planning on just securing the front of the kayak by going over the surrounds and in through the door opening (so this would work with the top on or off) and around the roll bars. However I have concerns on whether the door surrounds would be strong enough, and whether trying down a kayak while on the highway (with the wicked wind we get up here) would affect the top in any way and about how secure it would really be.

My next thought was just have a friend fab up some steel bars and use the existing bolts on the side of the WS frame and go up the WS, then put a hole at the top and voila. If I go this route, how thick should the steel be? And issues with this idea?

Am I missing something? Is there something else I can do to secure the kayak at the front of the JK? I would have to work for both a ST, topless and doorless. I have an Unlimited.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be great.

Thanks

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

use a light bar
thats what I did on my YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I've already spent way too much on my jeep lately (bikini top, soft doors, etc). A KMA light bar is in the future, but not soon enough for this trip.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Rugged Ridge light bar, one of the nicest bars Ive seen, Under $200, and it keeps the trees off your windshield

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Rugged Ridge light bar, one of the nicest bars Ive seen, Under $200, and it keeps the trees off your windshield
I don't want to buy something I'm going to end up replacing. But even if that wasn't the case, shipping something like that would kill me. Soft doors were 80 to ship... I'd hate to see what a 6' light bar (that weights God knows how much) would be.

I'm looking for something that's effective and fairly cheap.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire

Im not sure what size kayak you are going to be taking along, but how about just tying in through the latch points for your top on the windshield and running it over the yak using something like a truckers knot to pull tension on it, if its a long boat and sitting over the hood run a line through the front grab loop that 90% of kayaks have and down to the tow hooks or shackles on the front bumper if you have em. Or just get an inflatable kayak. Advanced Elements makes several great and durable options with most being less than $500. Does it require you to spend some more cash yes, but that route will also cut down on having to take a chance securing the yak on the roof, and will also improve your fuel economy since carrying anything on the top puts the suck on you MPG's If its a very long trip you may actually end up close to breaking even.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I don't want to buy something I'm going to end up replacing. But even if that wasn't the case, shipping something like that would kill me. Soft doors were 80 to ship... I'd hate to see what a 6' light bar (that weights God knows how much) would be.

I'm looking for something that's effective and fairly cheap.
bar was 180, shipping was 20 wasnt that bad. Have a good trip and have fun yacking: From Qtec

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Just foam blocks on the windshield frame and rear soft top bow. I carried 2 14' yaks like that for years

For tie downs just go to the bumper. If it's a really short boat you can go to the cage too

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I've already spent way too much on my jeep lately (bikini top, soft doors, etc). A KMA light bar is in the future, but not soon enough for this trip.
just use some galvanized conduit from home depot, thats basically all a Yakima bar is, they just cover it in plastic. That stuf is pretty darn cheap
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Rock God

Riptide: How long is the boat you plan to take with?

I'm not sure if you like the GOBI design lightbar, but that would be an option also if you need to have the boat sit that far forward. Shipping up to Canada isn't that bad for a lightbar.

Also, is this a one time trip? or is this something you would use more than once?

The cheapest way that I can think of would be to use foam blocks. if it is a full length boat, tie off to the bumpers and use the foam blocks to pad between the windshield support.

2016 JKU
post #11 of 11 Old 05-27-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
Riptide: How long is the boat you plan to take with?

I'm not sure if you like the GOBI design lightbar, but that would be an option also if you need to have the boat sit that far forward. Shipping up to Canada isn't that bad for a lightbar.

Also, is this a one time trip? or is this something you would use more than once?

The cheapest way that I can think of would be to use foam blocks. if it is a full length boat, tie off to the bumpers and use the foam blocks to pad between the windshield support.
It's a 15' sea kayak. I have foam blocks that I used on the old XJ. It's more just where and how to secure the front end. I will (at some point) be buying a customized KMA light bar. I'll have the hard top off tomorrow and will be playing with the bikini top on the weekend. I'll see how trying to tie it down to the front bull bar will work.

I plan on owning a kayak for a long time as well as a JK, so I am looking for something semi permanent. The light bar will be the best bet... it's just gonna be a bit.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode