Mounting a HI-Lift? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Mounting a HI-Lift?

I just got a Hi-Lift Jack for my birthday and have no clue how to mount it in the jeep. My rear bumper is stock and my front bumper is a RR XHD stubby with a winch and hoop. I was thinking maybe vertically off the back some way. Is it possible to mount it off the stock rear bumper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

are you against mounting it on the hood?

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #3 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Rock God

I'm sure there's a way; anything's possible. Another option is to use the Woods kit and mount it on the rear of the sport bar:

http://jeepswag.com/jackmount/index.html

And, it'll fit with either top on, just can't raise/lower the soft top with the jack in place.

-WRM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You could mount it on the hood with different mounts. I have the Warrior mount and really like the quality of the product.(By the way) In the picture below the handle is in front and you really should have it turned the other way. IThis was taken when I first mounted it and I had it on there backwards. I can't mount mine in the back like some because I will be running the Trektop that uses the rollbar as the top structure. You can click in my signature to go to their website.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 05-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I like the idea of it being inside like in the Woods kit. Can the kit be used to mount it in another spot than what you have?

I am not tottaly opposed to the hood mount, but the damn thing is heavy! and it is bright red and my jeep is all black..... it would kinda stick out.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The hood mount on yours looks good, I will say that.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

River raider makes a rear mount also. It's similar to the one above except it mounts at the lower portion of the rear bars, closer to the tailgate. The biggest downside is if you keep it there all the time, it makes getting stuff in and out of the back of the jeep a PITA. But I only carry mine when I'm wheeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #8 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Rock God

My favorite is the Woods kit. It's on my list. I'm afraid I'd eventually dent my hood with the hood kit and I think on the front bumper subjects the jack to too much weather.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

OR, for about $6 you can go to your local auto parts store and pick up a couple of muffler clamps and some wing nuts. Does the same job mounting a jack to the rear roll bar and you can put it as high or low as you want. That's what I did. I thought I had pics from posting it, but can't find them in my collection. Should be simple to understand though.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 PM
VKS Fab

Here's where I mounted mine.

Vick

Handmade One At A Time

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #11 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HHhhmmmm.... I like the muffler clamp idea. I'll see what I can find. Also the RR mount sounds good. Thanks a hell of a lot guys.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 AM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChongoSean View Post
HHhhmmmm.... I like the muffler clamp idea. I'll see what I can find. Also the RR mount sounds good. Thanks a hell of a lot guys.
You mentioned that your front bumper has a hoop. Mopar offers a nice looking mount that clamps to round bars with options from 1" to 3" diameter.

The high roll cage mount shown earlier seems to interfere with the soft top, the low mount makes getting things in and out a pita. Either the muffler clamp idea or what I used which was about the same $'s worth of HD cable ties - the big ones about a half inch across. I positioned the bar under the rear cage, but over the rear seat head rests and wire tied in place with a half dozen. It doesn't move at all.

Carried the bar the same manner at EJS and it didn't move then either.

{But when AEV finaly comes out with their rear bumper mount for their rear bumpers I will switch...}
post #13 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here are some photos of my TailGate mount. A Mod that I did to the mount, using a trailer hitch lock to ensure security. I do not DD with the HiLift, only have it on when on a wheeling trip. I am a recovering New Yorker, so I think about shit like people jacking my stuff.

The second photo shows how easily have attached a full sized shovel to the jack using some 3/8" shock cord pieces.

Just another option.
Attached Images

post #14 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMorrison View Post
I'm sure there's a way; anything's possible. Another option is to use the Woods kit and mount it on the rear of the sport bar:

http://jeepswag.com/jackmount/index.html

And, it'll fit with either top on, just can't raise/lower the soft top with the jack in place.

-WRM
will this work on a 2dr?

thanks
post #15 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I ran with mine mounted to the rear roll bar for a while, until I got my LoD rear bumper. Cheaper than buying any sort of mounting system. Just buy some wing nuts, bolts, and washers.

Just pull the roll bar cover back, pull some of the padding off, and run a couple of bolts through the roll bar. There were existing holes in the roll bar that worked perfectly. Used wing nuts to secure the bar of the jack to the roll bar. Threw the base and the rest of the jack into the storage compartment in the back.

Worked with the hard top perfectly. Not sure if would work with the soft top, as I never got a chance to do that prior to buying the bumper and relocating the jack.
BTW: This was on a 4dr. I assume it would work on a 2dr as well.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #16 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I just bought a hi-lift mount from 4 Wheel Parts that mounts on the front of my Smittybuilt XRC bumper. Will work for any bars up to 3" thick. Will take a picture later and post it.

U.S. Army
post #17 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb_crna View Post
Here are some photos of my TailGate mount. A Mod that I did to the mount, using a trailer hitch lock to ensure security. I do not DD with the HiLift, only have it on when on a wheeling trip. I am a recovering New Yorker, so I think about shit like people jacking my stuff.

The second photo shows how easily have attached a full sized shovel to the jack using some 3/8" shock cord pieces.

Just another option.
I've seen many mounted like this. It seems like quite a few of them are bent because stick up and get caught on something.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #18 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

I leaned mine against the drivers side rear down tube of the roll bar and then secured it with rafting cam straps. one little one around the top and one at the bottom where the tube meets the wheel well. Its out of the way, easy to access and fits with both tops (hard and trektop). Plus those straps are super strong, so I'm not worried if something bad happens (like an accident or rollover)
post #19 of 31 Old 05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

RRER makes a Hi-Jack interior mount that is a nice setup. It uses existing un\used bolt holes on the roll bar. The holes need to be threaded (die included with mount). Simple, solid and decent price. Unfortunately this mount will not work in a 2011 unless you want to hack up your interior plastic. For the 2011, the base roll bar trim comes up higher on the roll bar, covering the mounting holes.

Rugged Ridge makes a decent priced and very flexible interior mount.It attaches with a U-clmp type setup. This allows you to have flexibility with the mounting height/location.

I've had my RR/Hi-lift on it for several weeks, no issues and hardly no rattles; only the handle occasionally rattling against the jack.

2011 Rubicon: Call of Duty - Black Ops JKU
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...

post #20 of 31 Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Rock God

I love the River Raider Mount! looks good and works great!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i got a 60 inch hilift for my bday.

how can i store it on or in a 2dr?

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #22 of 31 Old 05-30-2011, 01:24 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i got a 60 inch hilift for my bday.

how can i store it on or in a 2dr?
a vertical back door mount, or the front tube bar mount....will not fit sideways inside the Jeep! HAHA

U.S. Army
post #23 of 31 Old 05-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
will this work on a 2dr?

thanks
Negative.

2007 Flame Red 2-Door Rubicon
Teraflex 2.5" spring lift (4-door), Bilstein 5100s | Spidertrax Wheel Spacers | Goodyear Duratracs 315/70/17 | LoD Mid-Width Front Bumper | LoD Front Skid | Smittybilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier | Poison Spyder Evap Canister Skid | Rancho Oil Pan Skid | Riddler Diff Covers | Hella Black Magics, Smittybilt windshield brackets | Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp-Series Winch | Midland 1001z with FireFly
post #24 of 31 Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Rock God

I just slide mine under the rear seat, fits perfectly. Only down side is cant flip the seat down when it's under there and occasionally it'll clunk or rattle.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #25 of 31 Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
You could mount it on the hood with different mounts. I have the Warrior mount and really like the quality of the product.
I have the same mount and it is definitely well built. The windshield sprayer hits the jack a little, but otherwise it is a good solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode