Tablet Advice in the JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tablet Advice in the JK?

I've had my Jeep for almost a year now and am ready to do a few upgrades this summer. Stubby, winch, rails, kickers, cb, hid's, skids, exhaust.....but I also NEVER liked the 6-disc changer radio that came with it. CD's...really?

I read the threads on the iPad install and that looked sweet, but didn't see much else on the newer tablets. The iPad at 10" is a bit too large and I think the 7" playbooks, galaxys etc would be a good fit.

Ideally, I'd like to wirelessly tether it to my Droid to stream Pandora, Youtube, surf the Web, Email, and GPS. It makes sense and is way more scalable and less expensive than these 'in dash' units being mfr'd for $1000.

Anyone had any experience and advice they could share on installing and integrating the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

PM egg white he is running an Ipad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #3 of 19 Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

I have been contemplating this as well.
You would also have to install a separate stereo either behind it or in the glove box though.
Seems very doable with the 7" screen

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I believe COP is making a XOOM install kit like his Ipad kit

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #5 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
I believe COP is making a XOOM install kit like his Ipad kit
If COP4X4 is involved, chances are it's over the OP's $1000 criteria.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I was just looking at tablet PC's also last night. I just installed a double din DVD stereo and was looking at putting a 10 inch tablet above it and running it into my usb input. I do think tho a 10 inch may be a little bit big. I'm very interested in other peoples ideas are on this topic.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Rock God

I'm interested in this idea especially the tethering to surf the web aspect. Sonic just wondering why you would have to install another stereo? Do you mean if the tablet is permamounted in the dash to take the spot for the stock radio? I have seen eggwhites setup in person and I like the mounting seems to me you could do something like that, keep the stock stereo and just run into the aux input of the radio.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #8 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Apple

Apple has a mobile kit for IPad 2.

It works great with my Factory Radio AUX input I modified. I currently using a digital processor as a router. My only input is the I pad but works with I pod too and I phone.

This allowed me to add AMP/Sub vol control/EQ to my factory radio.

The radio sounds better than stock. The CD's sound way better . The I-Pad and I-pod music sounds terriffic

The Project is moving forward.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

I guess I should post in here.

This is the setup I am running right now. I is just a Bracketron dash mount with an iPad mount from Ram. I just use the headphone jack on the iPan and run it to the aux input on the stock radio. I us Pandora for all most of my music needs and Motion X Drive for my navigation needs. It works great! My only complaint is that I cant see the screen when I have my polarized sunglasses on.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #10 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Thumbs up Sweet !!

Looks good there !!

The Project is moving forward.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Wheeler

i'd be concerned about airbag deployment with it there. but i worry about such frivolous things
post #12 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Wheeler

Im running an Ipad as solely my primary entertainment source in the dash, I had it mounted with inside an Gen 1 Ipad case from otterbox and had it mounted to the dash. Right now im having to redo it because of new otterbox case for the Ipad 2 didn't work out like I have with the previous otterbox, in other words otterbox's clips became flimsy in order to use as a mount. New setup will be done in a couple weeks, im making out of fiberglass, making own form. I was going to replace my ipad with a Xoom when the Xoom came out, but motorola put the on button for the device on the back of it, so I would have to drive around with the screen on all the time and keep it from turning off, wasting more battery overall. I just didn't want to tackle the idea of having to make a way to press the button, and also at the time of release Xoom was overpriced, I prefer android any day because I spend every week modding/rooting devices for friends. I wouldn't mind installing a smaller 7" android tablet down the road, but maybe one of the newer model galaxy tablets coming out soon, or the HTC flyer, but only because it would be nicer to have a more factory looking dash, and not have the ipad sticking as high. Later down the road, ill think of an android tablet, as accessories increase for them, specifically an external Digital Audio Converter via USB. Thats all for now.

Here are two videos of my former setup in my Jeep:
First video is with Ipad 1 with otterbox, mind me it looks like a mess but that was a work in progress
YouTube - ‪Ipad In Jeep JK Install Update!!‬‏

Second video is the Ipad 2 inside the older style otterbox from the previous video
YouTube - ‪Ipad 2 In dash of Jeep JK Wrangler‬‏

Ofcourse all this all gone, as im building my fiberglass form for my new setup.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
I guess I should post in here.

This is the setup I am running right now. I is just a Bracketron dash mount with an iPad mount from Ram. I just use the headphone jack on the iPan and run it to the aux input on the stock radio. I us Pandora for all most of my music needs and Motion X Drive for my navigation needs. It works great! My only complaint is that I cant see the screen when I have my polarized sunglasses on.

I wanted to avoid having to buy another GPS (mine was stolen) in order to get the Ipad, which has many more features. I like your setup, but what is on top of your Ipad? Is that an antenna of some sort for the GPS function? How does the GPS function work on the iPad. I am not trying to thread jack.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

I don't have a iPad but have built many custom fiberglass dashes in my time. By looking at Eggwhites setup, it almost looks like you could turn it sideways and glass it in where the stock indash is? Not sure if the iPad could work all the time on its side. I know some programs only work one direction on my iPhone which may be a limiting factor for the iPad there. Can the iPad function only on its side or does it have to flip? If it would have to flip, that would limit the installablity of it into the dash in a fixed location?

Anyways, looks cool and I wish I had one to see what I could come up with!

EDIT: Never mind! I should have watched the YouTube video's that was posted up top!! Looking good!!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #15 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Cheezis K Reist, how are you going to have time to operate all that crap on the trail?

(Some of us are still trying to figure out where the cassette slot is.)
post #16 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
I like your setup, but what is on top of your Ipad? Is that an antenna of some sort for the GPS function? How does the GPS function work on the iPad. I am not trying to thread jack.
Thank you. It is the cable the connects between the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the iPad and the aux input on the front of the stock radio.

Sent from an asshole with an iPhone

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #17 of 19 Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I don't know if I'd want to mess with tethering a tablet in my dash through my droid. Sounds like too much work. I would want my music easily accessible when I jump in and out of my Jeep. Never tethered a tablet through a droid though so idk how easy that is.

I can see myself with a tablet someday down the road and I would love to replace the stock head unit with one. $30 a month for pandora, google maps and I can remove it? Hell yeah I'd do that. I would ditch the Sirius subscription which is all my stock radio is good for anyway.

Just gotta learn how to fiberglass and figure out the best way to make it sound good. Hoping to learn from others mistakes so get to it
post #18 of 19 Old 06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
Thank you. It is the cable the connects between the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the iPad and the aux input on the front of the stock radio.

Sent from an asshole with an iPhone
Just got mine. Tell me, have you used it in a GPS situation yet?
post #19 of 19 Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM
JPK
Rock God

For those who need Windows:

I run an ASUS Eee Slate in my JKU at times. Its is a Windows 7 set up, which I need for compatability with my office set up. Touch screen, with touch screen keyboard but also a remote keyboard which is easier to use, especially for the passenger. 12.1" screen, unit dimensions 12.3"x8.2".

With a USB port mounted GPS reciever, which is about the size of a pack of gum, and a USB mounted 4g wireless "thingy", about the size of two pack of gum I have both nav and internet connectivity.

For off road nav I'm using Overland Navigator, which has seemless topographic maps which zoom well. Off road it seems really great, but its a bit week for on the road.

Right now for on road I'm using a free set up (except it burns 4G time,) I think through Verizon, but will soon add a better set up, like Delorme or comparable.

Right now I use a RAM no drill three legged seat mount. A tall (7"?) ball to ball conector works with the Slate oriented horizontally and a shorter one (4.5"?) works best with the Slate oriented vertically since the shorter height keeps the slate top lower. I'm using an adapted RAM universal notebook mount that is too wide for now until RAM hopefully comes out with a dedicated mount, or until I get tired of waiting and make my own.

I don't want to drill my Jeep, but the more ideal mounting would be either directly in front of the driver or in the center, oriented horizontally. I might try the two or three suction cup mounts from RAM, but I worry about off road...

The 12.1" screen is a plus and a minus. Great for when I'm using the slate as a lap top computer - which is why I bought the slate and not the i pad ii, great for off road nav but a bit large in the Jeep. ASUS is suposed to be coming out with a 10" version, may already be out.

JPK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode