Ruggid Ridge XHD Tire Carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ruggid Ridge XHD Tire Carrier

Any of you guys have issues with the Ruggid Ridge XHD tire carrier...or any other tire carrier...shaking real bad? I am surprised the spare hasnt ripped the lugs off the mount it shakes so bad. I have checked and re-checked all bolts for tightness, all the tire lugs are tight....the carrier is resting on the door bump stops...I dunno what else to do. Any fix for this?

EDIT: Did I miss something? What happened to the Ruggid Ridge rep on here?

Last edited by gijoejd; 05-20-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
I had a few minor issues

But it sounds like u got em bad.

I took up the play between the tire carrier catch and the handle. It helped a bunch.

The Project is moving forward.
post #3 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Doesn't seem that the tire carrier itself is shaking, it looks like its the tire itself on the carrier. I have had people stop me while driving to let me know that my spare is about to fall off....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

my tire jiggles, but not so bad that people think it's going to fall off. WTF? And FWIW, only 2 of the nuts are holding it. The 3rd lug (the bottom one) is stripped, it has a nut on it but you can't tighten it beyond hand tight

What does bug me about the carrier is that damn plastic bumper thing that supports the weight on the latch side. Mine has worn down from repeated opening/closing. So now it has worn to the point where there is a squeak every time I hit any little bump in the road. I don't notice it when the top is on, but when I run topless, that squeak annoys the hell out of me. I usually turn the music up loud so that I don't hear it.
post #5 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

My first rear bumper go-round was with the XHD carrier. I have absolutely nothing even remotely good to say about that piece, nothing at all - so I won't. But I will say I remember the shaking spare thing and I'd be worried about metal fatigue, not to mention the latch mechanism. I'd try to at least secure it to a more robust part of the carrier or bumper.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
And FWIW, only 2 of the nuts are holding it. The 3rd lug (the bottom one) is stripped, it has a nut on it but you can't tighten it beyond hand tight
Same here. However, the top right stud is the one stripped
on mine. Once, you get past running torque, it slips. I have wondered about removing the lugs that are on the carrier, drilling holes for new lug bolts, and inserting (possibly welding) new lug bolts through to hold the tire on. The only problem with this....I have no idea how to weld or have a welder and working with metal makes me nervous.

Have also wondered about using some sort of rubber stop to mount on to the tire carrier and rest on the tire to help stabilize it.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Defector View Post
My first rear bumper go-round was with the XHD carrier. I have absolutely nothing even remotely good to say about that piece, nothing at all - so I won't. But I will say I remember the shaking spare thing and I'd be worried about metal fatigue, not to mention the latch mechanism. I'd try to at least secure it to a more robust part of the carrier or bumper.
LOL...

Well, the install was a PITA because shit didn't line up properly, we had to do some modifying to install it.

But I have no complaints with the bumper itself. It has taken some abuse on rocks, and all that has happened is some scratched powder coat. So for durability, I think this bumper is fine. And I doubt you can find another bumper in this price range that is as durable.

The carrier. Been on for a couple years. I don't really trust it, and always remove my spare before I hit the trail. I just don't think it can handle the 100lb spare while bouncing around on obstacles.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Rock God

wow.. i've got the rr xhd bumper/tire carrier and i'm not having any issues with it.. it shakes a little but what tire carrier doesnt...

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Went by Venom's house after work to try and figure something out. Found the mount for the tire carrier cracked. See this:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=51864&page=3

Also found that the tire carier bolts DO NOT fit the stock lugs. They are different sizes and caused the stripping issues stated above.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Ouch! So that is what I have to look forward too

Oh well. I've been eyeing some other bumper/carriers for the last year. So as soon as this one starts breaking down, I'll have the excuse to buy something else
post #11 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

I haven't really had any issues either. It wasn't my first choice, but I got it used for peanuts. To the OP: you say the tire carrier is resting on the door bump stops...are they compressed? I adjusted the stopper pad brackets out so they compress the bump stops about half of their length (if that makes sense). Granted, it's a little harder to close, but it doesn't move at all and is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGINIER View Post
Jeep's role in society is that they function outside of society.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
To the OP: you say the tire carrier is resting on the door bump stops...are they compressed? I adjusted the stopper pad brackets out so they compress the bump stops about half of their length (if that makes sense). Granted, it's a little harder to close, but it doesn't move at all and is solid.
yeah I adjusted mine to where they compressed the same way.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Granite Guru

I got sick of my RR tire carrier also. The bumper is OK, tire carrier is POS. It has swung open going down the road numerous times. Last weekend I just took it off.

Here is what I am running now. OrFab tire carrier. I also stubby-fied the RR rear bumper. The OrFab is solid as a rock. The huge tire has zero movement.

post #14 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoejd View Post
Went by Venom's house after work to try and figure something out. Found the mount for the tire carrier cracked. See this:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...t=51864&page=3
First time when I saw my tire wiggle around I wondered how long it would take until fatigue cracks would occur, I see now that my fear for that was correct.

The framework of the carrier itself is solid but the adjustable tire mounting brackets have too much flex especially in rotational direction (turn tire by hand while mounted and you'll see what I mean). I think the whole issue could be solved by having the tire walls sitting under tension against the tire carrier frame to take some load caused by vibrations away from the mounting brackets however the L-Brackets that go against the OEM rubber bumpers of the door stick too far out to do that.
When I have some time I'll chop the L-Brackets or install some rubber bumpers on the tire carrier frame to get rid of that annoying wiggle in the rear view mirror.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm not following you on the "turn tire by hand while mounted and you'll see what I mean". My tire won't turn at all.
post #16 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Just try turning the tire with a bit of force and see how much the brackets flex this way.
post #17 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Ah, OK I get it.

You are probably on the right track about the tire sitting against the carrier. I do have mine sitting against the carrier. I just adjusted the mounting bracket in a way to make the lower part of the tire rest against the carrier. Maybe this is why I don't notice the amounts of jiggle that others seem to be having.

post #18 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Rock God

Certainly would help reducing the "wiggles". Better would likely be if the tire would sit flat with 3 contact points on the carrier but as seen in the pics the damn L-Brackets stick too far out and would dig into the tire side walls.
post #19 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thats exactley what happened. You have to have the spare sticking too far out so that it doesnt rub on those brackets for the bump stops. that causes alot of stress on the tire mount bracket from the spare wobbling around.

If you take the brackets off and flip them, they dont hit the tire and you can sit it flush to the carrier. You just have to drill 2 holes on the leg of the bracket that is supposed to go against the stops and mount it to the carrier arm using the exisiting holes....ill take a pic later and show you what Venom and I did.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Once you move the brackets, you can get the tire snug against the carrier:

flipped brackets and clearance:

The tire carrier it self now shakes a little but doesnt rattle. The spare moves with it of course. That is still alot better than it was before where the carrier stayed still and the spare moved around. Now the mount plate for the spare shouldn't have any stress issues. Now the spare rest on all 3 points of the carrier.

Last edited by gijoejd; 05-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.
post #21 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

And if you have this POS, make sure to check that your lugs are the right size for the studs on the tire carrier. My stock lug nuts were to big for the studs that they had welded onto the carrier...thats why one of my studs was stripped out and would break torqure past running torque. Lary welded new studs on for me as well as welded the stress cracked areas.
post #22 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 12:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Yup, to sum it all up:
if you have a RR carrier and your wheel backspacing doesn't allow you set the carrier so that it pulls the tire itself up against the frame of the carrier because of the bumpstop brackets hitting your wheel- you can flip them and redrill them so they will clear your rim and you can get the tire pulled up tight.
simple fix that RR *should* have done to begin with by making the bracket mount either way, or simply make the bracket 3/8" shorter - sure you'd lose 3/8" of "adjustability" but it would at least work.
The tire mounting bracket itself is minimal, thin sheetmetal and barely up to the task of holding the spare at all, let alone floating in mid air.
If you pull the tire up to the frame, it distributes the load over the carrier mount and the carrier frame to get rid of the wiggle.
If your tire has been mounted "hanging" without touching the frame and shaking for very long - take a good look at the tire mounting plate, the metal will fatigue and crack.
Also the lugs they use are pretty much shit.
I don't know if they are actually the wrong size and there's enough slop in the threads that the tire wiggle strips them, or if the metal in them is just that soft, but obviously they blow.
It's a PITA to grind the spot weld out on the back of the plate so you can knock them out and change them, but it can definitely be done.
After I changed Justin's out to some "real" lugs, hist lug nuts still fit just fine, the threads in the nuts hadn't taken any damage at all - so its probably just really soft steel in the RR lugs.

here's some pics of the metal fatigue/cracks - ended up finding another crack on the plate while working on it.
For now, I welded up the cracks while I was welding in the new lugs.
With the tire pulled up tight to the frame, it should hold up but if it doesn't then its a pretty simple deal to get some 3/16 plate and make a replacement for that piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #23 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Rock God

Anyone that has had issues with these, keep in mind that RR has a minimum three year warranty on all their products. I'd certainly call them about it. if you have issues, feel free to use me as a resource.
post #24 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Rock God

Yeah that L-bracket should have been with the slots on the short leg from the manufacturer since you don't need the long adjustment slots to compress the gate rubber bumpers plus with the long side outwards the rubber bumpers are fully covered and not partially as it is with the manufacturers, short leg out, installation.
Somebody in engineering/design must have had a rough night the day before making that part drawing
post #25 of 31 Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I'm just glad we were able to get ya back up and runnin Justin!
I'd hate to be behind you on the highway if that 35" falls off due to a broken plate or stripped lugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode