What do you think of this winch? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV
Question What do you think of this winch?

I like this winch and I love the idea that its pretty light weight. But its a comp winch with a short drum and spools 50' of rope. Think that would be enough? Thoughts please.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
JKO Addict!

You could probably save the 30 lbs that this Comp winch saves in other ways, namely the front bumper to which it's attached. That being said, if this was THE winch I'd get a winch extension strap, like the one from ARB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
JKO Addict!

I've needed to pull myself well over 50' on a single line pull before. However an extension could pretty much solve that.

It's probably a very nice winch, but Its pretty overkill in my opinion (coming from someone with a 12,000lb on a two door lol) more so price wise than anything. Unless you plan on just torturing the thing day in and out I'd say a lesser winch that have done many here just fine maybe spend a few bucks elsewhere. Unless you are dying to be "different"!

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

I looked long and hard at purchasing this winch for several reasons:
1. Warn
2. Light weight
3. Synthetic line (on a warn)
4. Size

I chose not to purchase for several reasons,
1. the biggest was the limited line capacity. When it comes down to it, the 54' of line is reduced quite a bit. Sure you can extend but will that work in all scenarios. I looked into other Warn options and changing to synthetic line as well

2. weight savings: is it that big? If I recall the winch/line weight was in the mid-50s lbs. The Smitty XRC 10 comp (which I purchased) weighs in at 60 lbs with 94' of synthetic line

3. Size didn't end up mattering: My bumper has a drop in winch mount therefore the size wasn't a concern as long as it fit in the hole. The hole takes up the same foot print on the bumper so nothing was gained or lost

4. Cost: This is a high price winch with limited capacity. It cost 3x the price of my Smitty. Granted folks will argue you can't compare the two companies. Maybe that is so, but it met my needs. I could have a spare in the back with a lot of $$ to spare.

Granted you can't put a price on the quality when it comes to safety and reliability if your life depends on it. For my needed, the Smitty far exceeds the needs and has 1k more pulling ability.

I hope the info helps. Ideally Warn would come out with a light weight/synthetic alternative with a comparable capacity and a competitive price point as well.

Just my humble opinion.
Steve

2011 Rubicon: Call of Duty - Black Ops JKU
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...

post #5 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 AM

Its always nice to have more line. Ive found myself in situations where I needed an extension with 100ft of line. I personally like the Warn RC but more line would be nice.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

depends on where and who you wheel with. would i run it? not a chance. ive had to winch myself up a mountain before and would not want to do it with 50' of rope. also most mud holes around here if you get stuck in them are either big enough to need all the line to get to someone or a tree. or deep enough to need a double line pull. then you only have 25'

if i always wheeled in a park or with a group of guys that were equally equipped i might consider it.

also are you gonna have a custom bumper made for it? point #3 from mickbee

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #7 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
JKO Addict!

I like this winch alot.

I always go wheeling with others so there is always an anchor point not far away plus you can always carry extra straps as others have said.

If this was only a little less expensive
post #8 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
JKowners Vendor

All good input above. I would add that I am considering a similar winch (the Superwinch) for my two-door, which I just use for recreation, and would be using the winch in short, close trails on rocks or other rigs for anchor. A winch extension is perfect for the few times when I might need longer. On the other hand, my 4-door is more expedition style--I am frequently out by myself, and also use her for recovering many other types of vehicles, therefore, she has a heavier-rated winch and longer line. So, what will you be doing with YOUR Jeep?

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #9 of 15 Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

I had to pull line a few weeks ago, in a heavily wooded area, and even with 100' of rope I was down to the last spool on the drum to get it to a suitable tree.

I like the idea but after that I'm sticking with my full size rope with synth

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #10 of 15 Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Granite Guru

A buddy of mine has one of those, and I've had to run my 100' of line to his hook just to gey him up the hill a few times. It's a fast/strong and consistant pull on the line, but you will definitely want the length more often than not.

35" KM2's - Poly Performance Fox Coilover system - TeraFlex Arms - PSC Ram - Rugged Ridge Modular Snorkel - COP 4X4 Nack Attack - Tatton Driveshaft - S-POD - 5.13 and 6 speed.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Thanks for the input guys.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandegrift View Post
A buddy of mine has one of those, and I've had to run my 100' of line to his hook just to gey him up the hill a few times. It's a fast/strong and consistant pull on the line, but you will definitely want the length more often than not.
agreed....will definitely want longer!

U.S. Army
post #13 of 15 Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I had to pull line a few weeks ago, in a heavily wooded area, and even with 100' of rope I was down to the last spool on the drum to get it to a suitable tree.

I like the idea but after that I'm sticking with my full size rope with synth
I've been in this situation multiple times. I would hate only having 50' of line on my drum.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #14 of 15 Old 06-14-2011, 04:00 PM

The biggest limitation to this winch is, as most have pointed out, the 50' of line. We designed this winch for rock crawling competition, which doesn't typically require lots of rope. It's a good winch, but is really aimed at competition vehicles.

- Andy
post #15 of 15 Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Granite Guru

Just a small reminder here. A winches rating is for a certain wrap on the drum and with each wrap the rating goes down. With such a small drum and short line I'd have to wonder what the levels for each wrap are. I would imagine that the rating on this winch drops pretty fast with each wrap.

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode