Spec Clutch throwout bearing???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Spec Clutch throwout bearing????

Due to a handful of people on here saying how Spec is awesome, I thought I'd contact them about a throwout bearing.

Mine is bad, again. Both lasted around 15k miles so I don't want to replace it with a factory part. On top of that, the dealer is jacking me around because they don't want to replace it.

Long story short, I called Spec to see if I could get a throwout bearing from them. He wasn't exactly helpful, but I did get out of him that Spec throwout bearings a factory parts.

WTF? He then went on to say it's the best part available. I told him about the Jeep TSB on that "best" part. He then said they never have problems with theirs.

So, are these bearings factory parts or what? Seems I've read somewhere on this board about them being much better quality.

Also, anyone know of a better throwout bearing?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org

Last edited by oz97tj; 05-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Garage

I have the SPEC clutch and the throw out bearing they sent me has been making noise for a year now.

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
post #3 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Rock God

AFAIK there are no aftermarket TOBs for the JK yet.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I have the SPEC clutch and the throw out bearing they sent me has been making noise for a year now.
Yup. Mine has been making noise since december.
I wish somebody would make a better replacement but I'm not holding my breath.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
X2 my Throwout bearing makes noise it's been on about 5,000 miles I have 2+

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #6 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

I installed a CenterForce crawl clutch and tried to find TOB that was not OE with no luck. My original TOB never made a sound but the replacement started within 3,000 miles.

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

post #7 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Well with a bit more searching parts sites and such, I've found that two are available. One is National brand, and the other says its Parts Master. I thought Parts Master was just a distributor though so I don't know. Different part numbers so I don't know.

I'm ordering the National one now from RockAuto. Hopefully it's better...

post #8 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Spec has a history of low quality throwout bearings. I went through 3 on my Spec stage 3+ in my '04 Cobra. Finally just replaced it with a stock ford one and had no issues. Alot of it has to do with clutch adjustment, but I'm not even sure how to adjust a hydraulic clutch.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 24 Old 05-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
Spec has a history of low quality throwout bearings. I went through 3 on my Spec stage 3+ in my '04 Cobra. Finally just replaced it with a stock ford one and had no issues. Alot of it has to do with clutch adjustment, but I'm not even sure how to adjust a hydraulic clutch.
SPEC is using the factory TO bearing... our point is that the factory bearing brings the suck.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #10 of 24 Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
SPEC is using the factory TO bearing... our point is that the factory bearing brings the suck.
I agree. I asked Spec if they planned on making an aftermarket bearing and was told "there is not enough interest".
I hope that we can convince them otherwise. I understand from a manufacturing point though.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Well with a bit more searching parts sites and such, I've found that two are available. One is National brand, and the other says its Parts Master. I thought Parts Master was just a distributor though so I don't know. Different part numbers so I don't know.

I'm ordering the National one now from RockAuto. Hopefully it's better...
So what did you find out? I'm about to place my order for this exact part.

Is this the one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219793

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
post #12 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

What kinda miles are you guys experiencing problems with your TO bearing? I'm at almost 40k and not a squeak out of mine. When it did squeak it was from dusty/muddy conditions, literally hosed out the inside of the bell-housing and it went away.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can't have more than 3k since I installed a Spec 2 clutch and my TO is toast.

How were you able to hose out your bell housing?
post #14 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
I can't have more than 3k since I installed a Spec 2 clutch and my TO is toast.

How were you able to hose out your bell housing?
There is a slot in the very bottom of the bell. A fine pointed hose nozzle will get after it. Had a ton of mud come out of it at one point. But still running the factory one at 40k with zero mr. squeaky noise.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #15 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

And I called the dealer and was told that, that TOB is a very common bearing. I couldn't get one from NAPA however. $100 bucks at the stealer.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
And I called the dealer and was told that, that TOB is a very common bearing. I couldn't get one from NAPA however. $100 bucks at the stealer.
Could buy it, mic all the specifications and attempt to find another?

post #17 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

what kind of noise is it making?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #18 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine was squeaking with the pedal out and then final made some wierd scraping noise when I pushed it in. Know it barely shifts and has to be pulled apart again.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
JKO Addict!

My TOB started making a high-pitched whine / squeak with about 800 miles on the odo, though its not terribly loud or noticeable. I'm approaching 9k miles and it hasn't gotten any worse during that time.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #20 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's Rubi View Post
So what did you find out? I'm about to place my order for this exact part.

Is this the one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219793

Thats the one. I replaced it along with the pilot bearing. Worked good but only put about 4 k on it before trading it in so i cant speak to its longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
What kinda miles are you guys experiencing problems with your TO bearing? I'm at almost 40k and not a squeak out of mine. When it did squeak it was from dusty/muddy conditions, literally hosed out the inside of the bell-housing and it went away.
My firat one started making noise around 12 k. Second one started around 35k. Mud wasnt overly packed in the bell housing either. It was clearly a bad bearing.

post #21 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm not an expert on clutches and this is a typical OMIX-ADA part description :. Would this part work? http://www.omix-ada.com/jeep-parts/p...temNo=53008342

If so, I can get them for you guys shipped for ~$50.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #22 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
I'm not an expert on clutches and this is a typical OMIX-ADA part description :. Would this part work? http://www.omix-ada.com/jeep-parts/p...temNo=53008342

If so, I can get them for you guys shipped for ~$50.
With all due respect, i think i spent 40 some odd bucks shipped for the National one through Rock Auto.

Considering the complexity of the install, i wouldnt trust Omix-Ada either.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
With all due respect, i think i spent 40 some odd bucks shipped for the National one through Rock Auto.

Considering the complexity of the install, i wouldnt trust Omix-Ada either.
Sounds good . I followed the link above and with shipping it was ~$55. Like I said, I'm no clutch expert, was just throwing the OMIX throwout out there as an option.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #24 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
Sounds good . I followed the link above and with shipping it was ~$55. Like I said, I'm no clutch expert, was just throwing the OMIX throwout out there as an option.
I was going off memory. Lol

Here is a thought though. Its no secret Omix-Ada rebadges many parts and distributes them. Id be curious what is actually stampes on the part. May be the same company.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode