Cab Cover recommendations? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cab Cover recommendations?

I've been eyeing the Bestop Cab cover (comes with door opening coverage too), but before I order it, I wanted to see if anyone had a better suggestion... Bueller?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

I use the Bestop Trail Cover (covers the door areas too) and like it alot.

It came in ESPECIALLY handy Saturday afternoon at Jeep Beach!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
When someone uses the word HANDY !!

I LIKE IT !!!

Me like shit that's handy !!!

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Bestop Trail Cover - very handy

Seriously though, I've had one and used it for two summers and have been very happy with it. Having full door opening coverage is key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Rock God

Betstop trail cover here too, love it! coverage when the doors are off and it fits over the frameless tops too (like ORH and trektop).

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #6 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Rock God

I too have the bestop trail cover and it has been nothing short of pure awesomeness. It fits really great and keeps the JK totally dry. I have a lot of bestop products, they make good stuff.

Justin
2009 Sahara Unlimited-The Saharacon
Just hanging out in the land of the banned
post #7 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Can't remember if these are the Bestops or Smitty's but they are awesome. They look loose fitting in this pic because we didn't tighten them down. The doors are off on both Jeeps. I highly recommend them.

2005 Wrangler Rubicon
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

post #8 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
EzK
Wheeler

I had the Bestop cover for my TJ for a few years and it was great. 100% water proof and fit well. The elastic in the straps wore out after a few seasons but it still did it's job. I'd just recommend having a dowel or something to use as a prop in the middle so the water runs off rather than pools up and stresses the cover.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I had a smity for my TJ and it rotted apart in just a year. I've been using the BesTop on my JK for the past 4 years and it is still in great shape.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzK View Post
I'd just recommend having a dowel or something to use as a prop in the middle so the water runs off rather than pools up and stresses the cover.
^^^^ Good idea there. The Mrs. was less than thrilled the other day when we went to take the top off after a torrential downpour and she was a little slow on her side and the accumulated water slid off the top in her direction.

Instant wet t-shirt contest. Worked for me!

post #11 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Wheeler

Have a Smitty trail cover on the TJ and Bestop on the JK.

110% reccomend the Bestop trail cover. The version I have requires the doors to be off for perfect fitment FYI. It is also important to perfect your folding skills if you have a soft-top installed.

2010 JK X 6-speed
Teraflex 2.5" coil lift, XRC8 winch, lod stubby front, or-fab tire carrier, rubi rocksliders
post #12 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Granite Guru

Rain Gear should have a JK top out by now or close to it. You may want to call them and see how far out they are. They are WAY better. I had a Smitty on the Tj and it lasted almost a year. I have Raingears on all my Scramblers and one is over 4 years old, was worn during two hurricanes and is just now starting to rip at the corners. I am sold on them.

JeepCovers.com
post #13 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
JPK
Rock God

The Jeep covers that don't provide full door coverage also don't come down enough to provide full coverage with half doors and no windows. Not much leakage at the doors, but some...

JPK
post #14 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Wheeler

I had to Mopar on my TJ and it was adequate except in heavy rain. I have the Bestop for the JK and it's much thicker. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't fold up very well. the Mopar fit under the seat easily, the Bestop has to live behind the back seat.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
The Jeep covers that don't provide full door coverage also don't come down enough to provide full coverage with half doors and no windows. Not much leakage at the doors, but some...

JPK
That is not the Jeep Covers brand is it? All my Jeep covers / Rain Gear brand cover very well but I do have one for a JK.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouttrout View Post
That is not the Jeep Covers brand is it? All my Jeep covers / Rain Gear brand cover very well but I do have one for a JK.
No not Jeep Covers brand, the Mopar Jeep logo cover is the one that is a bit short for half door applications.

JPK
post #17 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Granite Guru

Will the Bestop cover work without taking the stock soft top down?

I have the doors off quite a bit but don't have the top down much.

Thanks!
post #18 of 26 Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
Will the Bestop cover work without taking the stock soft top down?

I have the doors off quite a bit but don't have the top down much.

Thanks!
No, with the Bestop trail cover the top has to be down.

Alex

07 Unlimited X
My pockets are empty
post #19 of 26 Old 05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Granite Guru

So now the question is...who's got the best price on it. I'm interested in one too. Since i got a hard top and its a pain to get it off and on, it would be nice to take the top off and doors off and just have this for unexpected rains and at night.

2009 JK Unlimited - Deep Water Blue
Rough Country 2.5" Series II Budget Boost
18" XD Monsters w/ 35" Trail Grapplers
Superchips Flashpaq
KC windshield light brackets w/ KC slimlights
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch Bumper
Smittybilt SRC8 Winch
Relocated Flowmaster Super 44 w/ offroad tailpipe
post #20 of 26 Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Wheeler

I just got the bestop trail cover and it is a pain in the arse to get on. It fits tight, i mean very tight but that's only in the back. The front fits loose and rides up the windshield when you try and snap in the back. Also, with the stock running boards, the straps on the door covering area are pretty much useless. As of right now, i'm not a huge fan. I had a rain gear cover on my TJ and i'd kill for on of those right now.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

my jeep survived a hail storm/tornado with it on and not a drop of water got in.

08 yellow jeep jk with river city offroad and home brew special sauce.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

my bestop trail cover keeps my jeep dryer than my factory top. I highly recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Wheeler

I have the Smitty. The top needs to be totally off for it to fit snug in the back. After 2 uses there was a small tear in one corner but not all the way to the seam. other than that it does all right.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC27 View Post
I just got the bestop trail cover and it is a pain in the arse to get on. It fits tight, i mean very tight but that's only in the back. The front fits loose and rides up the windshield when you try and snap in the back. Also, with the stock running boards, the straps on the door covering area are pretty much useless. As of right now, i'm not a huge fan. I had a rain gear cover on my TJ and i'd kill for on of those right now.
What year is your JK? I have a 2010 with the factory running boards and the side straps fit fine, just slip them in and cinch it up, the front is snug to the windshield with the mirrors folded and rear section fits perfectly (all ok with full doors on/off and with my ORH soft top on/off)...maybe a defective cover???

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #25 of 26 Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stouttrout View Post
Rain Gear should have a JK top out by now or close to it. You may want to call them and see how far out they are. They are WAY better. I had a Smitty on the Tj and it lasted almost a year. I have Raingears on all my Scramblers and one is over 4 years old, was worn during two hurricanes and is just now starting to rip at the corners. I am sold on them.

JeepCovers.com
Quoted for truth! Had one of these on my TJ, second to none. I've been holding out for them to come one with a version for the JK.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode