AMSOIL QUESTION! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

AMSOIL QUESTION!

Hi everyone!
what do you all think about AMSOIL oils?
I always ran MOBIL 1+FRAM filters,but a guy 1 mile from my house just became a AMSOIL dealer,and I know they have a good reputation.
what's your opinion?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Big fan, I run it in everything I own. The Jeep is now 100% amsoil. Mobil one is good stuff as wel.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Wheeler

2 thumbs up on Amsoil!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Another AMSOIL fan here. Running it in the engine, and getting ready to swap out the transfer case and manual transmission. Good stuff!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Big fan, I run it in everything I own. The Jeep is now 100% amsoil. Mobil one is good stuff as wel.
x2
post #6 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Wheeler

The best

I'm a Trooper here in Texas. Amsoil is what we run. We go 20,000 miles before oil changes. Never had a problem. On a regular basis, we are pushing our cars 65-120+ all day every day. Hope this answers your question.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Yep IMO amsoil is the best you can buy.

Soon I will be changing every fluid over
post #8 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Knight View Post
x2
X3 for amsoil.

and if you go to their website and become a preferred customer. you can buy the oil for Dealer cost. a quart of 5W-20 is like 5 bucks instead of 8.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

AMSOIL here too in my JK!

Soon as I run out of Mobil-1 for my Tahoe, I'll be switching it over!
post #10 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to armedsks

I have some amsoil syncromesh waitng to go in. Also have the 75-140 gear oil in my rear 44.

Amsoil is top tier stuff. I wouldnt go out of your way to by the motor oil unless you could get it near the same price as mobil 1 or pennzoil that can be bought from wallyworld.

When you order from the amsoil site its best to order a big order, so shipping doesnt bite into ya. They are very quick to ship also!
post #11 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Only Amsoil for all my vehicles for the last 10 yrs!... best stuff out there. My Jeep is 100% Amsoil.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

As your dealer buddy to get you the independent university study on the top oil brands. Amsoil was the top performer. Very impressive.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #13 of 22 Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
JKO Addict!

X a gazillion on Amsoil. Mobile 1 on the other hand has failed me, and costly failure at that.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Rock God

Kool aid getcho Kool aid.

Why would you buy Amsoil online when if you went door to door every 10th home with a garage is an "Amsoil Dealer" and he'll probably sell it to your for a discount.

Bottom line is any synthetic is better than any petroleum based oil.

Amsoil is a Multi-level Marketing company and has been for over 40 years. Over that time, there have been enough Amsoil salesman and "independant dealers" swearing to thier neighbors and buddys about it's performance to create quite a following. Talk to any Amway, Avon, Melaluca, or Herbalife sales reps and they will be able to provide you with countless testimonials and scientific proof and especially independant laboratory tests that conclude thier product to be superior over all others.

Is Amsoil the best oil made? No. Research synthetic base stocks. Amsoil uses polyalphaolefin or PAO which is an API class IV synthetic base. Ester is a API class V synthetic base that surpasses PAO's protection and durability qualities. The process is much more expensive than that of the PAO and only esters are durable enough to withstand the rigors of jet engine operation and they are also used in racing and high performance cars.(My experience all comes from the world of motocross and Motul and Redline come to mind)

Is Amsoil a good, reasonably priced full synthetic? Yes.

I am personally not a fan of Amsoil and it annoys me when people blurt out, "It's the best there is!" usually based on what thier neighbor who sells furnature by day and Amsoil on the weekend tells them.

Last edited by jrider; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: can't spell
post #15 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
Kool aid getcho Kool aid.

Why would you buy Amsoil online when if you went door to door every 10th home with a garage is an "Amsoil Dealer" and he'll probably sell it to your for a discount.

Bottom line is any synthetic is better than any petroleum based oil.

Amsoil is a Multi-level Marketing company and has been for over 40 years. Over that time, there have been enough Amsoil salesman and "independant dealers" swearing to thier neighbors and buddys about it's performance to create quite a following. Talk to any Amway, Avon, Melaluca, or Herbalife sales reps and they will be able to provide you with countless testimonials and scientific proof and especially independant laboratory tests that conclude thier product to be superior over all others.

Is Amsoil the best oil made? No. Research synthetic base stocks. Amsoil uses polyalphaolefin or PAO which is an API class IV synthetic base. Ester is a API class V synthetic base that surpasses PAO's protection and durability qualities. The process is much more expensive than that of the PAO and only esters are durable enough to withstand the rigors of jet engine operation and they are also used in racing and high performance cars.(My experience all comes from the world of motocross and Motul and Redline come to mind)

Is Amsoil a good, reasonably priced full synthetic? Yes.

I am personally not a fan of Amsoil and it annoys me when people blurt out, "It's the best there is!" usually based on what thier neighbor who sells furnature by day and Amsoil on the weekend tells them.
that's exactly what I want to find out! if you look on line AMSOIL is the best oil out there,but yet all the testing you'll find they are on a AMSOIL web site;
AMSOIL is not API certified,it does not meet "SN"but still"SM".
does not meet "GL-5"(so far the only oil that meet GL-5 is the ENEOS sold by poly performance).
Now, I come from Italy,and my father there owns a PORSCHE GT-2 RS and
he always owned AMG mercedes,they both recommend MOBIL 1,and if you
look the corvette ZO6 znd ZR1 come from the factory with MOBIL 1.
even more the bugatti VEYRON(I hope you know what it is)the fastest car on the planet(16 cyl,8.4 l,four turbos,1001 hp,1100 f/lb)as MOBIL 1 in it.
So how come if this oil is so good,why no auto maker use it as reference point?
one more thing so far MOBIL 1 is the only fully synthetic oil that meets "SN"
spec. this happend one month ago with the latest API,SAE,GL, testing.
can someone tell me,how come AMSOIL is not API certified,and a lot of people
still use it with confidence?
THANKS
post #16 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the only difference with amsoil and other synthetics are the tracers, they are all made exactly the same way. I was on the royal purple teat for a while, learned I was wasting money, and now get the cheapest full synthetic. Also I would not trust any 20,000 mile oil change. Oil regardless of the maker, will get dirty and soon bypass the filter, viscosity will always stay the same, so at most you should change every 5k.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Owl
Wheeler

Really good information. Thanks (OP) for posting this thread.
post #18 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Each coin has to sides....... Many find ways to complain about higher priced oils. Run what you want and learn from your own personal results. I have used Amsoil products for years in my motorcycles, quads, cars, trucks , jeeps, guns, boats you name it and I have never once had a single issue. Buy what you want if you dont like it then try something else.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I don't change my oil based on my miles,but on how many hours of off road!
my JK is a rubicon and I like to do technical stuff,so she is always in 1st low
(she is a 6sp)for hours,and in the summer when is 98 degrees 5 strait hours
crawling is a lot of relaxed miles a 50 mph on the road.
so when my oil has 20-25 hours of off pavement I'll change it.
does someone else change the oil based on the hours off road,or I'm the only
anal around here?
post #20 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Mobil 1 is in the same class as Amsoil. It also uses PAO base stock. Just like gasoline that all comes from the same refineries, each company has it's own additive package, that is what differentiates one from the other.

Pay close attention to synthetic blends and semi-synthetics. There is not a standard to what percentage of synthetic a synthetic blend must be. I believe semi-synthetic has to be of a a heigher percent to be label that. The U.S. also allows API class III hydroisomerized oil to be marketed as a synthetic when European countries do not. It is more or less a heigher refined form of petroleum.

As far as engine or a component failure that can be directly atributed to actual oil failure? About 1 in mill chance of that. More likely a clogged oil passage, oil filter bypass, low level or something else causing a lack of lubrication.

Years ago I had a KX500 that stuck in 3rd gear in the middle of a desert race. Happened to be the first time I had ever run BelRay tranny oil. Got the bike back to the shop, tore it down to try to figure WTF. Myself and 2 real mechanics (I'm more of a monkey with a wrench) never did find the cause of the problem, buttoned her back up and added new oil, worked fine. I went back to Motul (@$15 a quart) and ran that bike for the remainder of that season and the next without another single problem.
Did I blame it on the BelRay oil? Of course, for a while. Did it realistically have anything to do with it? Probably not. Will I run BelRay again? Hell No!
post #21 of 22 Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rubicon View Post
so when my oil has 20-25 hours of off pavement I'll change it.
does someone else change the oil based on the hours off road,or I'm the only
anal around here?
To be honest you likely overdo it with your oil changes, even 3000 miles for a change is overkill. Have your oil tested and you'll likely find out that your oil is perfectly fine even with 50 hours off pavement run time. That's provided you have a good filter installed since that is the key element for oil longevity.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Granite Guru

I've been using Amsoil in my Corvette for the past 3 years, since its first oil change. I switched my Jeep over to it on its first change also.

I run 5w30 in both - makes it easy to have plenty of oil on hand.

In my Vette I change the oil when the computer decides it is time (it has a 'use' system) or if it has been 6 months.

In the Jeep I'll probably end up changing it every 5000 miles once I settle on a rhythm. I did the first change at 2000, then the second change I did at 8000 - the 'change oil' light had been going off for awhile, but I was busy every time the weather was nice outside.

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
or check out my

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode