front/rear rubi diff servicing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

front/rear rubi diff servicing

I found these 2 threads on the subject but still have some questions:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35321
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299958

I have never changed diff fluid but it seems stupid easy. If I am going switch and go with a synthetic like Royal Purple 75/90 in front and rear (would you use that in both?), do I need to take the covers off and clean the inards or just drain and reservice? Also, do I need an additive or not? Do I fill to the top on both front and back diffs....or do I fill 2.7 pts in front and 4.75 pts in the back....or is that the same thing? I have searched but seem to find conflicting info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No additive if your using syth fluid, thr rubi doesnt have LSD. 75/90 is fine if your not towing. if your running stock covers fill them up to the hole and youll be fine. You dont need to remove the covers but it never hurts to take a look and make sure everything is GTG.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

does having a lift and 35's change anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoejd View Post
does having a lift and 35's change anything?
you can run a a heavier fluid in the rear if you would like due to the tires and lift.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Granite Guru

Make sure you put in the recommended amount of fluid in, even if you have to fill through the breather hole. Mine calls for almost 2.5 qts and I could only get 1.5 in through the diff cover.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
JKO Addict!

You may as well upgrade the covers while there, if you can find a place with Solids in stock they are a great deal at $65 a pop.
But either way, I am running Royal Purple and it was worth every cent. But to save you some cash go find the Advance Auto parts code thread on here, order the Royal purple online and pick up at the store. By breaking it into 3 quarts order at a time I saved $25 off.

And get MORE than you need. With my Solid rear cover I think I have like 4 or 5 QUARTS in there
post #7 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
JKO Addict!

So I need to change mine this weekend. I have an OX locker, so obviously I have a non-stock cover. The fill hole is higher on the OX cover. How do I know how much to put in?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM
VKS Fab

In the rear you don't need to be too worried about over filling it (like doc hinted at). The front on the other hand, I just had to find a happy medium. That, or fill the shit out of it, let it spit out the breather, when it stops your good to go. I actually have a diet mountain dew bottle/over flow can zip tied under the hood to catch the fluid. On a more serious note, filling the front to the manufacture spec will work. Im not sure what that is but I know its been posted on here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
So I need to change mine this weekend. I have an OX locker, so obviously I have a non-stock cover. The fill hole is higher on the OX cover. How do I know how much to put in?

Vick

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #9 of 9 Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

when i changed mine i went with lucas 75/90. it was like 5-6 bucks cheaper than the royal purple. i ended up getting 3 32oz bottles of the lucas and used 2.75 between the front and rear of mine. was the first time i changed it and boy was it dirty!

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode