Used CO2...RUN AWAY?!?!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Used CO2...RUN AWAY?!?!?

What red flags should I look for when shopping for a used CO2 system?? Also, I know its crazy high pressure, it won't live in my jeep, anyone have experience with these tanks in a car accident? Thanks for the help!

2008 Unlimited Rubicon automatic with 35" KM2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

15" black procomp 8069
Swag Offroad tailgate conversion
OR-Fab Tire carrier with Amo can for straps & tools
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
Pollk Audio 6" components
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

maybe you can get it pressure tested???

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Its not a high pressure system, its a low pressure system. Tanks are stamped and will not be filled unless up to date anyway.
They take a LOT to fail/fail and I mean like go booom fail. worse you will do is pop the burst disk and it make a lot of noise. I have had them overfilled and poped the burst disk due to the sun heating the tank.
Scary as fuck but nothing that will harm you.

CO2 is fine and inert, dangerous is using a SCUBA system. Ya guys swear buy iy but I have no desire for something that dangerous in my jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Co2 is a liquid. There is gas but its only the room in the tank that is not in liquid form. The liquid expands (turns to gas) when it hits atmospheric pressure. And as Doc say's, there is a stamp on the tank. I bought a used one and am very happy with it. The pressure in the tank pretty much stays the same until you are out. Only factor would be outside temp of the tank. Direct sunlight, stuff like that.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God

My brand new 10lb Aluminum tank and fixed The Source 150psi regulator cost me about $160. How much are the used systems you're looking at?

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #6 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So far $200 with all accessories, a full kit. I'm trying to trade a like new BFG KM2 plus $80 or something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

15" black procomp 8069
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
post #7 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Garage

They really dont go boom anyway.. they all have a pressure relief system that will relieve the pressure well before any boom... now, this pressure relief is an event in itself.. I had my tank filled at a local welding supply company... apparently it was slightly overfilled.. i came back to the club and put the thing in my office.. about 30 mins later it the pressure valve popped and the 10lb bottle emptied in about 3 seconds... scared the living shit out of me! It was so loud I was deaf in my left ear for the rest of the day and scared me so bad it turned an internal hemorrhoid into an external one.

This is the bottle right afterward... it stayed frozen for about an hour afterward..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
They really dont go boom anyway.. they all have a pressure relief system that will relieve the pressure well before any boom... now, this pressure relief is an event in itself.. I had my tank filled at a local welding supply company... apparently it was slightly overfilled.. i came back to the club and put the thing in my office.. about 30 mins later it the pressure valve popped and the 10lb bottle emptied in about 3 seconds... scared the living shit out of me! It was so loud I was deaf in my left ear for the rest of the day and scared me so bad it turned an internal hemorrhoid into an external one.

This is the bottle right afterward... it stayed frozen for about an hour afterward..

Simple little thing I use in my work all the time
Pressure = Volume * Temp

keep the volume the same, raise the temp (by bringing it into your office, or leaving in the sun) and the pressure pops the relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #9 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

If you're buying a used tank, ask when it was last Hydro'd (Hyrdo static testing). The longer it's been the sooner you will have to have it tested. Ask if it's 3yr, 5yr or other (Time between Hydro tests). Get a good visual inspection of the tank, make note of any damage to the tank. Scratches to the paint aren't bad, but if it's a deep gouge, it could be a problem down the road.

Burst disks as stated are a great safety feature and will scare the crap out of just about anyone the first time one fails. But I have seen valves go and when the valve goes, you don't want to be between the tank and where it wants to go.

C02 is more prone to changes in tempurature than Compressed Air. But when you compress C02 or release it, it going to make the tank cold. If you get a compressed air tank, becareful to slowly fill the tank, flash fill (filling very quickly) can be very dangerous. Also NEVER oil the input side of a Compressed Air tank. Once you have oil in a compressed air tank you have a bomb. Filling the tank will atomize the oil and heat from the compressing of the gas will ignite it.

If the package that you're picking up is in good condition and the price is right, jump on it. Just try and keep the tank at a constant tempurature and point the Burst Disk relief hole away from your passengers. Having a couple of pounds of C02 dumped into you won't make for a fun ride.
post #10 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Holy shit HitMoney, did the people in the club hear the disk burst??was the tank ruined after that? Do all CO2 have this burst disk? I live in Las Vegas and my garage is not air conditioned, should I keep the tank indoors? Like a hall closet? What about on the trail? Will direct sunlight affect it greatly? If it does, do the make a king size beer cozy to help keep the tank stable? Sorry if some of these questions sound dumb, but I got to ask. Thanks for the help!!

15" black procomp 8069
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
post #11 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardenasrc51 View Post
Holy shit HitMoney, did the people in the club hear the disk burst??was the tank ruined after that? Do all CO2 have this burst disk? I live in Las Vegas and my garage is not air conditioned, should I keep the tank indoors? Like a hall closet? What about on the trail? Will direct sunlight affect it greatly? If it does, do the make a king size beer cozy to help keep the tank stable? Sorry if some of these questions sound dumb, but I got to ask. Thanks for the help!!

No the bottle wasn't ruined.. I brought it back to them (they are friends) and after a good good belly laugh they replaced the burst disc and refilled it and it was all good... I'm not totaly convinced they didn't do it as a practical joke. I have had the bottle strapped to the back of my junk baking in the sun while out wheeling in the middle of August in Florida.. never had an issue. I think they just overfilled it... they don't fill alot of small bottles like that.

I have a bunch of empty 20lb'ers that are used for my soda system.. sometime I just attach my regulator to them if my tank is empty. They really aren't as dangerous or volitile as you think... we drop these things all the time... and they aren't at super high pressure... not like compressed oxygen or Nitrogen would be.. you don't want to see a Scuba tank lose all its pressure in 3 seconds.. the tank would probably end up in a neighboring zip code. When my CO2 went, it just made a lot of noise.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #12 of 28 Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

C02 tanks are typically about 800 PSI. A compressed air tanks usually start at 3000 PSI and go up from there.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Rock God

If it's not secured a tank will go where it wants to if the valve pops even around 800psi it will slide a bit. I had an oxygen tank with roughly 1500 psi break off the stem of the valve in my ambulance and go right through the back doors like they were paper... I had to go home and change my uniform.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #14 of 28 Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What's the difference between the fixed 150psi regulator and the adjustable Powertank regulators? Will the 150psi regulator ruin my 1/2" impact? Will it flow enough gas to reseat a 35" bead?

15" black procomp 8069
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
post #15 of 28 Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God

You were lucky that you weren't in a small office (or were you?) as you could have suffocated.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #16 of 28 Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
What's the difference between the fixed 150psi regulator and the adjustable Powertank regulators? Will the 150psi regulator ruin my 1/2" impact? Will it flow enough gas to reseat a 35" bead?
The fixed Regulator will only put out 150 psi. That should run your tools. An adjustable reg allows you to change the output pressure so that you can use a great selection of tools. This also allows you to set your output to a low pressure like 35psi and air up your tires to that pressure without having to keep a constant eye on them. (Still a good idea to watch the fill though).
post #17 of 28 Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Rock God

back when i had a CO2 tank i would weight the empty tank before taking it to the fill station. Afterwards i would re-weight it again to see if its been overfilled or not.

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #18 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey thanks for the help everyone. I'm gonna try and find an affordable 15lb Powertank. If not then I'll go generic 15lb tank and try to purchase a Powertank regulator. Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge.

15" black procomp 8069
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
post #19 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Granite Guru

I have three that I built. I reseat Skid steer tires, tractor tires, All the jeeps tires and run the impact fine on the fixed 150 helium regulator. You can build a tank for about $125-$175 depending on size. Very easy to do.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Granite Guru

Here is a write up I did a while back with some links on supplies.

These are the companies I have used to build tanks from in the past and have good prices.

For the regulator I use a 150# fixed. I used to have gauges but doing a lot of offroading and being one that is rough on equipment I took out the gauges. I use a cheap Harbor Freight Impact with it a lot and no problem. I use a quality hose from Lowes on it and the proper fitting can also be bought from Lowes. Here is the link to the regulator:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...tor-p-297.html

For the tanks I have use the store below. They also carry gauged regulators.

http://stores.ebay.com/BeverageFactory-Dot-Com

For mounts I am using Fir extinguisher mounts from the safety store in town. The have several model so you can find one that works for you. They run about $25. You can see a pic of one in the link below:

I think Grainger carries them too. Get a urethane hose. they can handle the cold coming out of the CO2 tank. It is best to use the CO2 in the upright position.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. I am happy to answer them and let me know how it goes.

Dan
post #21 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

here's mine

10lb Tank = $87 (http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml)
Regulator = $49 (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm)
30ft hose = $38 (http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm)

Those above are the bare minimum requirements (fyi- the hose comes equipped with an end for filling tires, so you wouldn't even have to worry about buying that). So for under $200 you can have brand new system instead of a used one.

post #22 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

N2rock, that is a nice set up! How do you know how much co2 you got left?

15" black procomp 8069
K&N cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust
Alpine iDA-X305S
MB Quart 4 channel amp
MB Quart 6" Components
post #23 of 28 Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 DOOR JK View Post
While we're on the subject of co2, how much are you guys paying to get your tanks filled? My local fire safety company wants $29 to fill a 10# tank on site. Meanwhile at the gas place i can exchange a 20# tank for $22 but they don't fill on site so i have to exchange the tank with their beat up ugly tank.
$12-15 to fill or exchange 10#-20#
post #24 of 28 Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
N2rock, that is a nice set up! How do you know how much co2 you got left?
I don't really know- I just keep mental note of how many times I've used it. You can always weigh the tank empty, and then use that as a basis. But I never bother, I just take it to be filled whenever I think it is getting about that time.

As far as filling it, I'm lucky- I live near a major fill station (all the smaller shops send their tanks to this one big company to do the fills). They charge me $12 (used to be $8) to fill my 10lb tank, and do it while I wait- takes about 5 minutes
post #25 of 28 Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I don't really know- I just keep mental note of how many times I've used it. You can always weigh the tank empty, and then use that as a basis. But I never bother, I just take it to be filled whenever I think it is getting about that time.
Due to the fact the CO2 is liquid a tank pressure gauge is not exactly accurate anyway, although it does give you a rough idea of when the tank is getting low. Weighing it is much more accurate.

Quote:
As far as filling it, I'm lucky- I live near a major fill station (all the smaller shops send their tanks to this one big company to do the fills). They charge me $12 (used to be $8) to fill my 10lb tank, and do it while I wait- takes about 5 minutes
That's nice, I have to drop mine off as they only fill CO2 tanks once a week. Costs me just under $10 for 10 lbs, although it's not unusual to end up with 11 or 12 lbs in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode