2011 JKU Horn - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2011 JKU Horn

Is it me or does this horn sound like the original horn from back in the day? I notice I have trouble tapping it to get the car in front of me going though, so it sounds like I am being obnoxious (which I am), but I don't want to appear that I am. What mods are folks doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

My 2010 JKU Mountain Edition did not sound like an original Jeep horn, it sounded like a wounded goose. After some research here and a little internet digging, I went with a Stebel compact Nautilus truck horn. It is a single tone @ 300Hz and 110db = plenty danged loud enough! I didn't want the extra work of mounting an air system for big trumpets. It does require the use of a relay and the wiring is fairly straight forward. I also used someone's write up from here to understand the wiring diagram better and to get a grasp on which relay tabs were wired to what things. It took a total of about an hour to do it for me, as I do not often wire anything. The end result is a nice, low, loud, manly horn for the Jeep that triggers off the OEM horn button, powered direct from the battery with a 30 amp fuse and heavy gauge wire.

I got it off of eGay, but now wish I had given the venders here the opportunity to match, or more likely beat the price with shipping I got ($75.00).

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Rock God

I also have a stebel, mounted it in the cavity of my front bumper. Funny that at work we put these on motorcycles .

Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Granite Guru

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00079V5ZI
PIAA 85112 115db 500HZ + 600HZ Sports Horn
You get two horns.
Easy hook up. Not mounted yet but tested with a spare battery.
Plenty loud.
HTH

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Wheeler

The single, low-note horn on the Wrangler sounds like a "half-dead goat". Terrible sounding horn. Go with the PIAA 400Hz - 500Hz Sports horns. Nice, loud, "American Car" sounding horns.

See a good write-up here for easy installation on a 2011 Wrangler:

PIAA Sport Horns 400HZ 500HZ Install on 2011 JK Wrangler

Horns available from Quadratec.com or Amazon.

Listen to them here on a JK Wrangler:

YouTube - PIAA 400hz/500hz 115db Sports Horn Demo

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen

Last edited by Mabar; 05-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have found that the "Finger" is much more effective than a horn
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaytownBert View Post
Is it me or does this horn sound like the original horn from back in the day? I notice I have trouble tapping it to get the car in front of me going though, so it sounds like I am being obnoxious (which I am), but I don't want to appear that I am. What mods are folks doing?
Also, you cannot "tap" the 2011 JK Wrangler horn. The horn button is computer controlled, and is way too stiff. Notice when hitting the horn, there is a split-second delay, before the horn sounds, which I find very annoying, and the horn button spring assembly is so hard, you cannot give the horn just a "little tap.

So far, after searching many forums, there is no way to fix this.

Still, the PIAA Sport Horns are really nice horns.

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen

Last edited by Mabar; 05-15-2011 at 01:23 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So, instead of appearing slightly obnoxious with a sick goat 100 db horn, you get real obnoxious with a pair of PIAA 115 sports horns?

Heck, I might as well get one of thos train horns. Anyone have one of those?

post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How loud is your finger? Does it flap like the seatbelt or flutter like the hood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
I have found that the "Finger" is much more effective than a horn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode