Balancing beadlocks.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Whats the best way to balance beadlocks for a street driven rig?
Use airsoft BB's 7 25.93%
Have a tire shop spin balance (stick on weights) 15 55.56%
Boobies (big n jiggly) 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-13-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Balancing beadlocks....

How are you guys balancing your beadlocks (street driven). I've never run beadlocks on the street so Im not sure which way to go. For all of my offroad use only rigs, I used aproximately 10oz's of airsoft bb's and had no balance issues.

Now that I am planning on running Trail Ready beadlocks on my street driven JK, I wonder if I should go have them balanced at a tire shop.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Dynamically balanced and use plain old stick on weights on the inside of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 02:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

3000 airsoft BBs per Humvee wheel worked wonders for mine on the street.

Scratched into the wall with a dead iPhone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 02:39 AM
GKR
Granite Guru

Depends on what tire you are running. I've balanced beadlocks in the past but currently run 38" KM2's on Trailready HD's with nothing. They run smooth as glass even above 70.
The ones I did balance I had done on a machine and used stick on weights. I then covered them in duct tape. Never lost one this way.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I guess I should have mentioned which tire and wheel Im running.

37x12.50R17 Goodyear MTR/K and 17x8.5 Trail Ready HD's.

Thanks, Bill
post #6 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Well I had mine balanced at the tire shop. They really don't like beadlocks but will do it.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

I am faced with the same issue - 37" MTRs on Walker Evans Beadlocks.

I PMed PhilD since he ran MTRs and had old threads on this on the same issue and here was his response:
(Phil, I hope you dont mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
Hi Allan,

I've tried Dynabeads on two sets of tires with no real luck. At times they seem to work, other times they make things worse. I tried quite a few different weights of beads and none ever worked well for me.

I think one of the problems was that there may have been some soap inside the tire from when they were installed. As soon as you get any moisture in the tire air the beads stick to the inside. When I removed them, they were stuck in patches all around the inside.

I've tried lead BB's, steel BB's, and Airsoft BB's which is what I currently use. The Airsoft BB's ssem to work best. I tried adding a small amount of anti-freeze and that seemed to make no difference.

I'm going back to 37's soon, and will try getting a regular balance first, as I've just never been happy with beads of any type. That said, I know other people who've had good results with just about everything. Do not waste your time with Equal though, it gets moist from airing up and down and clumps.

Hope that helps,

Phil
Conversely, I have heard from others that swear by beads.

I think I am going to try to find a shop willing to balance them. Should be fun

P.S.
Local warning for those living in the Springs - DO NOT go to the Tire World downtown. They are freakin clowns.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Trailready HD17s with 39.5" Iroks. 16oz of airsoft BBs to balance.

I had 14oz of stick-on weights on my 37" iroks and will never do that again. I kept loosing them on the trail and would have to endure a wild ride home.

I know a couple of guys with big MTRs where shops could not get them to balance, and lots of BBs did the trick. Even my son's 33" MTRs took a lot of weight to balance. By contrast, my 35" KM2s (which were really 33s ) took no weight to balance.

The MTRs seem harder to balance than Super Swampers. Here is what I would do; mount one tire and take it to the tire shop. If a shop can't balance it without adding a huge cluster-fuck of weights, I would give the BBs a shot. You may get lucky and have a set that balances easy.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

As I mentioned in my original post, Ive always had luck with airsoft bb's on my offroad only rigs. I think Im going to have Discount tire spin balance these.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bill
post #10 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
As I mentioned in my original post, Ive always had luck with airsoft bb's on my offroad only rigs. I think Im going to have Discount tire spin balance these.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bill
Discount got my TR's close . The BBs didnt help at all on my TR's
post #11 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Trailready HD17s with 39.5" Iroks. 16oz of airsoft BBs to balance.

I had 14oz of stick-on weights on my 37" iroks and will never do that again. I kept loosing them on the trail and would have to endure a wild ride home.

I know a couple of guys with big MTRs where shops could not get them to balance, and lots of BBs did the trick. Even my son's 33" MTRs took a lot of weight to balance. By contrast, my 35" KM2s (which were really 33s ) took no weight to balance.

The MTRs seem harder to balance than Super Swampers. Here is what I would do; mount one tire and take it to the tire shop. If a shop can't balance it without adding a huge cluster-fuck of weights, I would give the BBs a shot. You may get lucky and have a set that balances easy.
You know what, I had the same problem with my 39.5 IROK's. 20 oz on 2 of them. Whats really weird is that my 37" KM-2 although small in size balanced easy. On the same wheels. Maybe the KM-2 aren't that bad after all. Just order the 42"s if you want a true 40.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Rock God

Ive had 18" spyderlocks with 37 "mud grapplers... Ive tried equal powder worked good... but clumps up if you get moisture in their from airing up and down.. also tried dynabeads... i didn't care for them... like other people have said some days they worked and some days they didn't.. guess it depends on how they settle inside the tire.. so i took those out and ran with nothing.. and it was a perfect ride... now i have 17"inch spyder locks and 37inch pit bull rockers and i had weights put on .. i would put the wheels/tires on and drive it with nothing first and see how they feel might get lucky !

Last edited by block; 05-14-2011 at 06:45 PM.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

37" MTRs w/ 17" WE Beadlocks and they are fine sometimes and sometimes they shake like a faggot eating a hot dog....

I tried resetting the beads several times.... letting the tire "relax" in the bead before placing the rings.... turning 1/4 turn etc.. still shake.

Bought a set of those trucker balance wheel thingies and they don't fit on the front because of the brake mechanism.. they fit fine on the back and are on there. I have airsoft BBs in them and may need more. They made a difference but not that much. I have kinda learned to live with a little shake between 45-60mph.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
JKO Addict!

stick on weights. sometimes a shitton of them
post #15 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Just got back from Discount Tire. They were able to balance them without a "shitton" of weights.

post #16 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks good Boosted. Did they say anything about the beadlocks or did you just roll it in and say "balance please"?

All but one of mine pretty much balanced. I had one that would not.... even with a shitton of weight. They wrote "spare" on it and I said something like... "horse shit" I spent too much money on that to use it only as a spare. I will keep working on it and get it dialed in eventually. I may try taking it to a different place to get balanced.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Looks good Boosted. Did they say anything about the beadlocks or did you just roll it in and say "balance please"?

All but one of mine pretty much balanced. I had one that would not.... even with a shitton of weight. They wrote "spare" on it and I said something like... "horse shit" I spent too much money on that to use it only as a spare. I will keep working on it and get it dialed in eventually. I may try taking it to a different place to get balanced.
Nope, no hassles from them. I actually had them mounted on the rig and drove there. Told them I wanted the tires siped and balance and they said ok.

Have you tried taking off the ring and moving the tire on the wheel?
post #18 of 22 Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Nope, no hassles from them. I actually had them mounted on the rig and drove there. Told them I wanted the tires siped and balance and they said ok.

Have you tried taking off the ring and moving the tire on the wheel?
Yessir.... even allowed the tire to "relax in the bead" for a bit.

I am not that worried about it... will keep tinkering until I get it dialed in.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM

How?

How do you get the Airsoft BBs in the tire? Do you have to unbolt the beadlock and pour them in? or is there a way that doesn't require undoing every bolt (there is an ass ton between all five tires?

Also, do i fill, spin it, fill it again to set each tire seperately or can I just duipn 16 oz. in each tire and call it good?

Running 37 x 12.5 x 17r MTRs on Allied Beadlocks. 3.5 in RK lift
post #20 of 22 Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Rock God

I went with Dynabeads. Add mud/snow and I, at least, have some chance of being somewhat balanced 'til I can do a proper wheel cleaning.
post #21 of 22 Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

The issue isn't going to be the excellent TR bead locks , it's going to be the MTR/Ks. I ran that combination for several years and the only thing that worked was Road Force balancing. The MTRs would lose balance regularly. Finally sold them and replaced with
MT ATZ P3s, better tire in all respects. Only gripe is they are really just a big 36", not a true 37" tire.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Granite Guru

Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I guess I am? 17" TR Hardrock Beadlocks + 40x13.5x17 Toyo MTs. No balancing at all and I cruise 80-85 most days on the highway smooth as a Caddilac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode