Smittybilt 2781 Compressor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Smittybilt 2781 Compressor

My Viair compressor finally just gave up the ghost after a hard 5 years! Lasted a long time! I was at 4 wheel parts the other day getting a new hi-lift jack and I saw the Smittybilt 2781 compressor and was on sale for 129.99. It claims 5.65 cfm I doubted it.. But I finally tried it out today and this thing seems awesome. Time will tell, but it is quick and its WAYYYY more quiet than my Viair 450c was. Seem REALLY well built, everything is metal too except for the small end cap where the on/off switch is. Came with a nice storage bag, has nice quick disconnects, a base for portable use, comes with a slinky style hose and a pretty decent air chuck with gauge. All in all seemed like a great deal. Like I said, time will tell though!

2007 Rescue green unlimited Rubicon. RC 4 inch lift kit, body armor hi-clearance front bumper, fender chop mod, 35" fierce attitudes on Procomp 8188 black wheels, 6spd manual, Teraflex Monster Hd track bar, teraflex steering dampener, granatelli MPG+ plug wires, mygig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 05-14-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oh but for the record, I will be going to a Viair extreme duty kit this summer sometime, I just needed a compressor to get me by next week! I think the 5 years the Viair held up with neglect and zero maintenance says a lot! Just wanted to clear that up! haha

2007 Rescue green unlimited Rubicon. RC 4 inch lift kit, body armor hi-clearance front bumper, fender chop mod, 35" fierce attitudes on Procomp 8188 black wheels, 6spd manual, Teraflex Monster Hd track bar, teraflex steering dampener, granatelli MPG+ plug wires, mygig
post #3 of 125 Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Wheeler

That's a good report. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking this guy: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor for about half the price, but it may be a piece of junk in comparison. Anyone have experience with either?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaytownBert View Post
That's a good report. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking this guy: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor for about half the price, but it may be a piece of junk in comparison. Anyone have experience with either?
I have that one. It was a good deal and has done well in comparison tests. It is a bit slower than by friends Viair though.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #5 of 125 Old 05-14-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I tried the smittybilt out today on a 35/12.50 r17 I hate to admit it, but its a lot quicker than my viair was... BUT the viair was also constant duty where this only has like a 40 min run time before it needs a break. Not like i will be using it 40 mins straight all the time anyways but....
No I have no experience with the MV-50, but smittybilts 2780 which is the little brother to the one i bought is on sale for like 69.00 at most places and is rated at iike 2.64 cfm or something.

post #6 of 125 Old 05-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Wheeler

More good input folks! Thanks!

post #7 of 125 Old 08-07-2011, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Just wanted to see how this compressor has stood up for you over time! I'm looking at getting this one or the Warn Air Power SPC or the Super Flow MV90

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #8 of 125 Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Rock God

Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor

i have had this for 4yrs.. it has been a great little compressor.. it's filled my 35's and in some cases filled a couple other jeeps... the only thing that i've had to do was reconnect the wiring, it came off after a trailride last year..

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #9 of 125 Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJBurt View Post
Just wanted to see how this compressor has stood up for you over time! I'm looking at getting this one or the Warn Air Power SPC or the Super Flow MV90
5.65 cfm is pretty impressive if holds that claim. I've had the MV-90 rated at 3.71 cfm for about six months. Love it so far for the $131 I paid for it. The hose connection and compressor itself gets pretty hot after 5+ tires (helping friends out). But because of it's speed compared to others I ride with, it gets passed around quite a bit. 13 - 30 psi is about 2:30 minutes average for four 37" KM2s.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #10 of 125 Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
5.65 cfm is pretty impressive if holds that claim. I've had the MV-90 rated at 3.71 cfm for about six months. Love it so far for the $131 I paid for it. The hose connection and compressor itself gets pretty hot after 5+ tires (helping friends out). But because of it's speed compared to others I ride with, it gets passed around quite a bit. 13 - 30 psi is about 2:30 minutes average for four 37" KM2s.
Can you tell me the duty cycle on the MV90? Also where did you get it for 130.00 bucks if you don't mind? That's a great deal!

Quote:
post #11 of 125 Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Can you tell me the duty cycle on the MV90? Also where did you get it for 130.00 bucks if you don't mind? That's a great deal!
Duty cycle: 67% (20 minute rest per 40 minute run time - 40 minute max continuous run time)

www.lowrangeoffroad.com - they are (or were when I got it) a pirate4x4 vendor.

post #12 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Duty cycle: 67% (20 minute rest per 40 minute run time - 40 minute max continuous run time)

www.lowrangeoffroad.com - they are (or were when I got it) a pirate4x4 vendor.
Excellent, thanks for the info! I just checked that vendor and the price is the same but there is a 18.00 shipping charge which when you consider the cost isn't that bad! Thanks again! Cheers

Quote:
post #13 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Quote:

Great Deal? I bought mine back when I had my TJ, have had it for about 6 years now. When they first burst onto the market, they were only $39. After word traveled around Jeepforum the price went up. But I've seen them for a lot cheaper than 130... Look on Amazon.

Ohh yeah, and it's a workhorse. I fill my tires, and my friends rigs up when their compressors fail. My friend had a goodyear on board air compressor installed from some off road shop. Never heard of a goodyear compressor before this. First time out, he pops a hose and can't use it. Next time, his compressor overheated after filling the first tire. I think he said he paid about $300 for that setup. Get's pissed when he has to borrow my $40 compressor...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.

Last edited by Victim Of Pain; 08-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
post #14 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Great Deal? I bought mine back when I had my TJ, have had it for about 6 years now. When they first burst onto the market, they were only $39. After word traveled around Jeepforum the price went up. But I've seen them for a lot cheaper than 130... Look on Amazon.
Are you sure your not thinking about the MV50?? Those are quite a bit cheaper then the MV90!

Quote:
post #15 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Are you sure your not thinking about the MV50?? Those are quite a bit cheaper then the MV90!
Knowing me, it's possible... My $39 compressor still fills tires faster than most.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #16 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Knowing me, it's possible... My $39 compressor still fills tires faster than most.
The MV50 runs $50 refurbished from the manufacturer's website. I wish I had bought 2 when Costco had them, it is a vast improvement over the Kmart, Wal-mart toy compressors.

I am looking for those smoking hot deals listed on the smittybuilt, they seem to be running around $150 now places I have checked. If y'all find a great deal, post it up in this thread!

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #17 of 125 Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
The MV50 runs $50 refurbished from the manufacturer's website. I wish I had bought 2 when Costco had them, it is a vast improvement over the Kmart, Wal-mart toy compressors.

I am looking for those smoking hot deals listed on the smittybuilt, they seem to be running around $150 now places I have checked. If y'all find a great deal, post it up in this thread!
Tell me about it, I wish I bought two myself. Mine is just starting to show signs of it's age, little rust here and there.

post #18 of 125 Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Alright so I just ordered the Super Flow MV90 from lowrangeoffroad. Com and the ARB deflator. I'll let everyone know what I think when Mr. Brown drops it off!

Quote:
post #19 of 125 Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

My friend just bought the Smittybuilt 2781. Last weekend we were airing up and he remarked how - outside of the color and badging - the 2781 and my MV90 looked identical. He was right. Hmmm... I should of taken pictures. I didn't see a difference but granted I didn't spend too much time comparing the two - wanted to grab something to eat. Didn't do a stopwatch test, but started airing at roughly same time and we finished at roughly same time... I'll post and update pictures on them side-by-side next time around.

post #20 of 125 Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So, Mr. Brown dropped off my new MV90 on Thursday and I got a chance to use it today for the first time on Gamble Gultch. All I got to say is "I fucking LOVE this thing"!!! I took me 10min. from the time I opened the door to the time I got back in the Jeep and thats from 10psi to 35psi on all 4 tires. It's incredible fast and pretty quit considering. The bag that came with it is very spacious and everything fits in it perfectly. I just can't say enough good things about this compressor! The 2 issues I had with it are...1) the guage is off by 4-5psi and 2) the connector gets REALLY fuckin HOT!! I can definitely deal with those minor issues though. I also got a ARB E-Z Deflator and I well let's just say I need to work with it longer to give it a fair review... The guage was all over the place from 10-20psi off. I'm sure it's user error at least I hope it is!!! The instructions suck! lol Yes I did read them and so did Mandy.

Well I can't wait to go wheelin again tomorrow!! I just wish I got this compressor years ago!!!!

Quote:
post #21 of 125 Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

Allthingsjeep has the MV90 for 146 free shippin.
post #22 of 125 Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Rock God

All the money wasted on electric compressors. Cough up the extra few bucks and install an engine drive York. I spent under $450 for my York setup and could've done it for $300 (bought a check valve and air/water separator which I don't need). You won't come close to the CFM output of a York and durability. Plus, you can run air tools.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #23 of 125 Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
V8 dreams

Newb question...are y'all using these for lockers too? Or just airing the tires up

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #24 of 125 Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just use mine for airing up!

Quote:
post #25 of 125 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Rock God

On sale at Amazon for $25 now

$25 Air Compressor on Amazon

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode