Outsmarted myself... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
LSM
Granite Guru

Outsmarted myself...

I went to put the soft top on today had the hard top off and went looking for the thumb screws for the door surrounds and I can't find them... I put them some place "safe".

can someone tell me how many of each size, so I can buy some more tomorrow. I can't remember if it is 2 short or 2 long and 6 in total.

I know I will find them as soon as I buy more.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Rock God

I threaded the 4 longer ones back into the clamps they go into. As far as the 2 shorter ones, couldn't find my "safe' place either so I used 2 of the bolts that hold the hard top on and they worked fine. Of course I found the two short ones right where I put them that I wouldn't forget later......

...short version-6 total.

Last edited by jrider; 05-13-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: can't spell
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Wheeler

I bought a "complete" soft top off of craigslist and obviously the guys version and mine werent the same because it was missing the knobs for the door surrounds, tailgate clips, and roll bar brackets. Anyhow its on a 2 door and those things are 20 bucks apiece i couldnt believe it 80 dollars for some plastic knobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I can't help on the lenght issue as I have a 2-door but I had the same problem last year. I put the knobs in a "safe" place and ended up finding them in an obvious place but it is the last place I would think to look. This year I know where they are since I screwed them back into the door surround although when I read this I started to panic wondering where they would be this year. If you cannot thread all of them back in, put them in a ziploc bag in a "Jeep area" of your house or store the bag taped to the soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

confirmation, 4 long and 2 short for 6 total.

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH08JK View Post
I bought a "complete" soft top off of craigslist and obviously the guys version and mine werent the same because it was missing the knobs for the door surrounds, tailgate clips, and roll bar brackets. Anyhow its on a 2 door and those things are 20 bucks apiece i couldnt believe it 80 dollars for some plastic knobs.
Checked the stealerships here in Canada $9 for the long and $7.50 for the short. just over $60 for them all. Lesson learned, don't move from where you have stored the for the past 3 years.

One place tried to sell me 4 of each I knew that was not correct.

Thanks for the help.

ME
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM
JPK
Rock God

Just switched tops myself. The longest portion of the job was looking for the damned knobbed bolts...

I'd all but given up and so tried to use the bolts that hold the hard top down. I'll confirm that they are the same diameter and thread and would work in a pinch for a drive to the dealership...
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
LSM
Granite Guru

Just got back. F'n parts people. The person I talked to last night was looking at the wrong part. $32 and change each. $205 total. I have learned my lesson. Keep everything in the same place.

ME
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Just got back. F'n parts people. The person I talked to last night was looking at the wrong part. $32 and change each. $205 total. I have learned my lesson. Keep everything in the same place.

Ya those prices seemed a little cheap.... Check online but you wont do much better than $20 apiece. I just made mine out of aluminum with a stainless rod, helps to work in a machine shop sometimes.

I might post up some pics I wonder if there would be any interest in these for people who lose them or just want a custom knob that wont break like the plastic one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode